21 AA, what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Student Doctor Network community!

I just finished my sophomore year at a state school in Ohio and decided to take the DAT this summer to have o-chem fresh in my mind.

You guys here on SDN helped me immensely along the way, you definitely answered a lot of the questions I had about the test. After just recently taking the DAT, though, I was a little disappointed with my scores…

AA 21

TS 20

PA 20

RC 18

QR 20

Bio 18

GC 22

OC 25

I had been feeling pretty comfortable with all of the sections (especially o-chem, gen chem, and qr), and had been scoring between 20-25 AA on the 6 practice tests I took (I literally got one point better each time I took a new test)… So, a 21 was really unexpected; even when I was taking the exam I thought I was on pace to get a 23 or so, I don’t know what happened. However, it is a relief to have it done, and it’s not like it’s a bad score (it is still around 92nd-93rd percentile, so that’s good).

I spent about 200 hours studying and only spent about $150 on study materials… So, if I were to do it again, I definitely wish I would’ve spent probably double that time studying and spent so much more money on study materials… This test is the most important admission/scholarship factor I believe, increasingly so these days.

I will be applying next summer with these credentials:

- 4.0 GPA

- 100+ community service hours

- 100+ shadowing hours

- 3 year pre-dental club member

- Did research

- Will be applying as early as I can

- *Possibly may have a chance to be a dental assistant next summer

Also, a few things that I think will help my case:

- From Appalachia Ohio

- Plan to practice in Appalachia Ohio (dental care is in much need here) in the future

- My brother will have graduated from OSU dental by the time I apply (he is currently top 5 in his class)

o We have very similar credentials and extracurriculars:

§ I have a slightly higher GPA

§ We have the same AA, but he got a 23 PA and a 21 TS

So, I have two questions:

1) How is my outlook? I plan to apply to OSU, NYU, and UNC. Do I have a good chance of getting accepted? If so, is there any chance of me getting a scholarship (dental school debt is always on my mind)?

- My brother was able to get a half tuition scholarship to OSU. My fear is that that is going to be slightly more difficult for me because the average DAT scores just keep going up…

2) Do you think it is worth it for me to retake the DAT? It is a lot of time and soooo much money, but do you think it is worth it if I think I can get the 23-24 I think I’m capable of?

Thank you in advance, this is simply a wonderful site.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're good. Maybe skip UNC though, you're not in-state.

4.0 and worried about a 21 AA? Go outside.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
d6f.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
4.0? Wth. :pigeon: What's your major and year?

After just recently taking the DAT, though, I was a little disappointed with my scores…

AA 21
TS 20

4.0 GPA
- 100+ shadowing hours
- Did research

Only on SDN...

Reactions: 6 users
I apologize, dental school is very competitive, and I was just wanting some positive feedback. It's always nice to see people's opinions (especially when they are further along in the process than you), this stuff really matters to me; I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can.

I was mostly curious if it's possible for me to get a scholarship at OSU, and if it's worth it applying to UNC and NYU. I really don't feel like GPA is that big of a factor in the eyes of admissions these days, I feel like DAT scores mean everything (and the average DAT scores have just gone up so much lately (OSU avg. is 20, NYU and UNC is 21).
Obviously, many of you feel like I'm doing just fine and will have no problem getting in... But as xerxes106 said, it might not be worth my time to apply to UNC.

I was not trying to show off; this is anonymous and I don't know any of you personally, so I don't know how that could be considered bragging... I legitimately was just seeing where I stood, I know that there are a lot of great applicants out there (and a lot of high DAT scores).

Again, I am sorry if I came off that way.

You're fine. The person said that UNC may not be worth it because you're not in state. Some schools will prefer applicants within their states which will make it harder to get accepted regardless of your scores sometimes.

I apologize, dental school is very competitive, and I was just wanting some positive feedback. It's always nice to see people's opinions (especially when they are further along in the process than you), this stuff really matters to me; I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can.

I was mostly curious if it's possible for me to get a scholarship at OSU, and if it's worth it applying to UNC and NYU. I really don't feel like GPA is that big of a factor in the eyes of admissions these days, I feel like DAT scores mean everything (and the average DAT scores have just gone up so much lately (OSU avg. is 20, NYU and UNC is 21).
Obviously, many of you feel like I'm doing just fine and will have no problem getting in... But as xerxes106 said, it might not be worth my time to apply to UNC.

I was not trying to show off; this is anonymous and I don't know any of you personally, so I don't know how that could be considered bragging... I legitimately was just seeing where I stood, I know that there are a lot of great applicants out there (and a lot of high DAT scores).

I don't know much about OSU but I'm sure there are many applicants as good as you that are applying. And some that are worse and some that are better. If OSU offers small scholarships, you might have a chance for one. Why not? If they offer some giant scholarship (which I doubt) then you probably need to be one of their best applicants to get it and while your application looks great, what are the odds that you are their best applicant? Pretty slim, regardless of what's on your app, or even if you had gotten a 23AA. No one on here will know if you'll get a scholarship. Just being honest because that's what you asked for. Also not sure why you picked NYU and UNC out of all schools. Try Case Western.

You're fully aware that you have technically a perfect GPA. And your DAT scores are great. You know you're going to get in somewhere. In terms of that OSU scholarship.....youre smart enough to get a 4.0, you should also be smart enough to know that strangers on SDN can't give you the answer for that. Call OSU, call your brother and have him ask. All will be better options for that question than us.

A piece of advice I did forget earlier: drop NYU as well. You're going to get in to a school, no need to make it the most expensive school in the country. Why no branch out and add Harvard, Penn or a few others? Cost should be your first, second and third reason for choosing a school.

You're fully aware that you have technically a perfect GPA. And your DAT scores are great. You know you're going to get in somewhere. In terms of that OSU scholarship.....youre smart enough to get a 4.0, you should also be smart enough to know that strangers on SDN can't give you the answer for that. Call OSU, call your brother and have him ask. All will be better options for that question than us.

A piece of advice I did forget earlier: drop NYU as well. You're going to get in to a school, no need to make it the most expensive school in the country. Why no branch out and add Harvard, Penn or a few others? Cost should be your first, second and third reason for choosing a school.
You tell him to drop NYU because of the cost and then recommend Penn lol...

Reactions: 1 users
You tell him to drop NYU because of the cost and then recommend Penn lol...
I know, I just saved him at least 40k on cost of living expenses. Go me.

Reactions: 1 users
Switching NYU for Penn is exactly what he should be doing.

His scores are likely to get him either into a state school, where 90% applicants hope to get in due to the price, or the Ivys where he'd have better shots at specializing.

NYU is one of the most expensive private schools that has a curriculum geared towards clinicians, which is why specializing out of that school is much harder than most. So if he's going to go private and shell out the money, he might as well do it at a school that puts him in the best position to do what he wants .

Hello Student Doctor Network community!

I just finished my sophomore year at a state school in Ohio and decided to take the DAT this summer to have o-chem fresh in my mind.

You guys here on SDN helped me immensely along the way, you definitely answered a lot of the questions I had about the test. After just recently taking the DAT, though, I was a little disappointed with my scores…

AA 21

TS 20

PA 20

RC 18

QR 20

Bio 18

GC 22

OC 25

I had been feeling pretty comfortable with all of the sections (especially o-chem, gen chem, and qr), and had been scoring between 20-25 AA on the 6 practice tests I took (I literally got one point better each time I took a new test)… So, a 21 was really unexpected; even when I was taking the exam I thought I was on pace to get a 23 or so, I don’t know what happened. However, it is a relief to have it done, and it’s not like it’s a bad score (it is still around 92nd-93rd percentile, so that’s good).

I spent about 200 hours studying and only spent about $150 on study materials… So, if I were to do it again, I definitely wish I would’ve spent probably double that time studying and spent so much more money on study materials… This test is the most important admission/scholarship factor I believe, increasingly so these days.

I will be applying next summer with these credentials:

- 4.0 GPA

- 100+ shadowing hours

- Did research

- *Possibly may have a chance to be a dental assistant next summer

Also, a few things that I think will help my case:

- From Appalachia Ohio

- Plan to practice in Appalachia Ohio (dental care is in much need here) in the future

- My brother will have graduated from OSU dental by the time I apply (he is currently top 5 in his class)

o We have very similar credentials and extracurriculars:

§ I have a slightly higher GPA

§ We have the same AA, but he got a 23 PA and a 21 TS

So, I have two questions:

1) How is my outlook? I plan to apply to OSU, NYU, and UNC. Do I have a good chance of getting accepted? If so, is there any chance of me getting a scholarship (dental school debt is always on my mind)?

- My brother was able to get a half tuition scholarship to OSU. My fear is that that is going to be slightly more difficult for me because the average DAT scores just keep going up…

2) Do you think it is worth it for me to retake the DAT? It is a lot of time and soooo much money, but do you think it is worth it if I think I can get the 23-24 I think I’m capable of?

Thank you in advance, this is simply a wonderful site.

Hey quick question. What school did you end up going to? I have similar stats. Thanks!