21 credits and more questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouthwash4hobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK I cut back from working full time to get my degree sooner. This semester starting with 15 credits but the following semesters will be around 18-21 so that I can graduate in Spring 2012. Is this too much? I'm now going to work 24 hours/week instead of 40.

Also I'm confused about when to take the mcat/apply. I'll be taking org 2 and biochem fall 11'. Can I take the mcat without org 2 and apply so that I can start school fall 12'? Or does it look like I won't begin school until 13'?

Members don't see this ad.

Lets wait and see on how you do on the 15 units semester first. cause 21 units is 130% more than 15, and trust me it isn't going to be easy, especially since you're working.

18-21 credits with 24h/wk work. To me that sounds like academic suicide.

You don't NEED to have any of the pre-reqs completed before taking the MCAT, though it would seriously help when it comes time to study for it.

Generalization: A "traditional applicant" usually takes the MCAT in the last semester of junior year (April ish) and applies later that summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
21 units is a lot, and I probably wouldn't do that because you are also working. Scale back a bit, I'd say.

Ok I'll see how this semester goes. Looks like it's going to be another year :(

Lets wait and see on how you do on the 15 units semester first. cause 21 units is 130% more than 15, and trust me it isn't going to be easy, especially since you're working.

It's only 30% more.

15 credits while working 24 hours a week would be a full plate for me. Either you're a genius or you have no idea what you're getting into.

OK I cut back from working full time to get my degree sooner. This semester starting with 15 credits but the following semesters will be around 18-21 so that I can graduate in Spring 2012. Is this too much? I'm now going to work 24 hours/week instead of 40.

Also I'm confused about when to take the mcat/apply. I'll be taking org 2 and biochem fall 11'. Can I take the mcat without org 2 and apply so that I can start school fall 12'? Or does it look like I won't begin school until 13'?

Ok I'll see how this semester goes. Looks like it's going to be another year :(

21 credits and working part-time is doable. I've done it before. But, it's not easy. Definitely see how you feel after you finish this semester with 15 credits before you bump it up to 18-21.

15 credits while working 24 hours a week would be a full plate for me. Either you're a genius or you have no idea what you're getting into.

18hrs is probably the max I would ever do per sem. To compensate for the extra hours that you wanted to take, consider summer school. Figure out what gen eds or mid-level classes you can take during the summer and this should likely make it easier to finish in three years without burning out. I would consider taking no more than 9-10hrs (3 classes) during the summer, maybe one more if they are scheduled for different summer sessions. I strongly recommend opening excel and create a semester by semester list of courses you are going to take. This will help visualize the three year plan easily and make sure you have not missed any requirements.

My junior year I took 20 credits the first semester and 18 the second, while working part time and spending 25-40 hrs a week in a gym/field. Bottom line is it's doable. But I rarely if ever had time to sit down and eat a meal (always ate it on the way to class or in class or at the library while studying), never went out or watched tv, and usually spent 20 hours doing hw on the weekends. My relationship with my family also suffered. However, I have a really positive/grateful outlook on life, so being able to focus on what I had instead of what I was missing out on was what got me through it. Otherwise I would have gone crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
18hrs is probably the max I would ever do per sem. To compensate for the extra hours that you wanted to take, consider summer school. Figure out what gen eds or mid-level classes you can take during the summer and this should likely make it easier to finish in three years without burning out. I would consider taking no more than 9-10hrs (3 classes) during the summer, maybe one more if they are scheduled for different summer sessions. I strongly recommend opening excel and create a semester by semester list of courses you are going to take. This will help visualize the three year plan easily and make sure you have not missed any requirements.

I have tried several times arranging my schedule to see what will work. Also, this includes 2 classes during each summer session. Now I have another plan to take 12-15 credits per semester. This way I can graduate Fall 12' .. even though I really don't want to wait any longer!

In case you have second doubts, it really is a lot to take 21 and work like you would be. Summer classes with a more manageable fall/spring load sounds better. Just realize that as you add courses they get exponentially harder and that's why the 130% makes sense. The difference might not be felt between 12 and 15 credits but definitely will be noticed from 15 to 18 or 18 to 21. ESPECIALLY if they are advanced science classes. Last resort it is manageable but really not worth putting yourself through it for face value. If there are extenuating circumstances that's one thing but I've seen 21 credits and work do people for the worst.

Figure out your own pace. I'm a senior and taking 23 credits this semester to graduate on time. I would have put it off another year if I hadn't done really well on 21 credits last semester.

Before this year, I never took more than 18 credits at once. One semester, I dropped down to 15 credits because I knew that was all I could handle. You need to assess where you are each semester before you make the decision to take on an intense schedule. ADCOMs will be far more impressed with a 4.0 at 14 credits than they are with a 3.1 with 21 credits. They don't care what you choose, as long as you prove that you're capable of assessing your ability to handle what you take on.

Of course, a 4.0 with 18 credits proves more than a 4.0 with 12 credits and equivalent EC's and experience. Strive to take on the greatest course load that you can realistically handle. Slow and steady can still win the race to medical school, but try to show that you're capable of handling a tough course load with grace and success, because that's what you'll have to do in medical school.

I decided to graduate a year early (due to financial reasons) and I had to take 21 credit hours both semesters my senior year. I also worked 20 hours a week and volunteered 14 hours a week. Needless to say, it CAN be done, but it WON'T be fun. I think I survived the year on 4 hours of sleep a night and obscene amounts of caffeine and energy drinks. I also had no social life lol So really weigh the pros and cons before making a decision, but know that it can be done.

Edit: if some of the classes aren't for your major, you might want to look into taking them Pass/Fail. I did this for one class each semester and it made a world of difference. That way, you only have to worry about getting a C and you'll still "Pass" the class and it won't affect your GPA.

Like other people have said, it IS DOABLE to work part-time and take 20/21 credit hours. Every fall, I've taken 20 credits while doing marching band (about 20 hours per week) and working 6 hours and its turned out fine, but just know that it's a lot of hard work and you definitely have to sacrifice a lot. I don't think I went out once last semester... most of my time on weekends was spent catching up.
Also, when I know I'm going to have really busy semester like in the fall, I purposefully schedule classes that are easier (geneds, etc) and then pile on the hard classes in the spring.
But honestly, I can't imagine taking 21 credits EVERY SEMESTER... I'm usually so exhausted by the time that next semester that I can't imagine moving right into another semester like it.

Uhm. Not a good idea. Especially if you work part-time, as you seem to indicate. But, it also depends on the rigor of your courses. I took 17 credits once, while doing all kinds of stuff, and it was HARD. But, maybe you're really, really focused and hard working. Who knows? Its all relative in the end.