22 on the MCAT, is it over??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorphilic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I got a 22 on the MCAT. It is my first time taking the exam and I have not taken any practice exam. English not being my first language, verbal was a tough one although I got "Q" on writing.

The only thing I did was review some science content on my own for about a month (2hrs per day). It has been a while since I graduated but I also have MPH on the side.

I am really interested in medicine but I have to prove myself before I reach that dream. Is taking a Kaplan course the right way to go? Honestly, I am too cautious to repeat the same mistake. But, with a full time job, I think the Kaplan course might help me with the structured enviroment.

Is my dream of med school doomed or is there room for redemption? Honest feedbacks are sincerely welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDNers,

I got a 22 on the MCAT. It is my first time taking the exam and I have not taken any practice exam. English not being my first language, verbal was a tough one although I got "Q" on writing.

The only thing I did was review some science content on my own for about a month (2hrs per day). It has been a while since I graduated but I also have MPH on the side.

I am really interested in medicine but I have to prove myself before I reach that dream. Is taking a Kaplan course the right way to go? Honestly, I am too cautious to repeat the same mistake. But, with a full time job, I think the Kaplan course might help me with the structured enviroment.

Is my dream of med school doomed or is there room for redemption? Honest feedbacks are sincerely welcomed.

Yes, you should take a review course. And lots of practice exams. Personally, I liked Princeton Review. As you now know, the MCAT is a beast...preparation is the key to success.

You can't apply with a 22, but it isn't over. Study very hard, but don't just do content review - do practice problems. Ideally, do problems that are designed to be MCAT-like. The ExamKrackers 1001 Questions book may be helpful for you, there. In the final weeks leading up to your exam begin taking full-length practice tests to get the timing and flow down.

A content review course is only useful (in my opinion) if you can't effectively study on your own or make and keep to your own study schedule. There's no other benefit than that.

Good luck, and don't let it get you down!

Hello SDNers,

I guess my advice would be to spend a WHOLE day just searching through the SDN MCAT Discussions forum and take notes on what you observe. Search each area of the mcat separately. See SN2ed's mcat study schedule (I'm using it and its going pretty well so far), BloodySurgeon's verbal thread, etc. See the best FL options, best books per subject and practice, best verbal material... stuff like this. At the end of the day you can decide what books you need to order and then just start studying........just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDNers,

Depending on your GPA and how much service you've done, you can apply to osteopathic medical schools.

I think 22 is low, but it is not the end of the world. If you have a chance take the class, it will reinforce you to review the materials and give you plenty of practice which is very important. If you do as many as practice test, then you will see your strength and weakness on various topics. And if you work on your weak points your practice test score will improve and become steady. This is important, you don't want to have a jump up and down. So, do many practice test regardless of if you take a class or not. 22 is low for allopathic as well as osteopathic medical school. But if you prepare well and improve your score I am sure you will do much better. If English is not your first language like me, then work on your verbal, maybe use EK verbal 101. Honestly, take the mcat seriously, I mean really seriously. Do not blow it again, do not take it unless you're well prepared. The fact that you have not taken any practice test indicates that you did not take it seriously before. But you know the real test is hard. But your dream is not doomed, you have another chance. So study hard ahead of the time. Plan your study schedule and stick with it. Do not indulge. It is doable and It's all up to you. Goodluck!

You need to spend significant time studying before taking this test again. I understand you're probably eager to get this process done, but it's useless unless you're prepared. As a senior two years removed from pretty much all the subjects tested on the test, I had to study for months for at least 30 hours a week, probably closer to 50 during the month leading up to the test.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely take a serious approach. I did not devote as much time as the MCAT merits. So, here is what I have come up with:

1) Take Kaplan course (should provide access to practice exam and structured content review)

2) Do extra practice problems using EK 1001 or PR Science Workbook
3) For physical, use the BR books which has tons of practice passages

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Again, thanks so much for your insights and I wish you all the best!

Dont forget to change your studying regime . 2hrs a day just won't cut it.
Also reviewing science content isn't enough... it's not about KNOWING the material but rather knowing how to APPLY the material ! In the PS / BS sections there's at most 10 discretes ( i could be wrong but it's close to 10) that's almost like pure memorization of the material ( do you remember hormone X or equation Y ). But the rest of the test is filled with passages. At these parts you get to apply your knowledge not just simply regurgitate.
Remember it's all practice =) Best of luck 22 on the first thing isn't that bad i mean you've still got time to retake it !

Make sure you vet the Kaplan course before signing up. Ask to sit in on a class so you can gain a better approximation of the teaching quality in YOUR area. Additionally, you absolutely must get some better verbal material. Kaplan is notoriously bad in verbal, though they are making some improvements. Pick up EK Verbal 101 and TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook. The TPRH workbook commonly pops up in the For Sale forum on here. Lastly, analyze what went wrong during your last attempt and figure out ways to improve.

Hello SDNers,

I got a 22 on the MCAT. It is my first time taking the exam and I have not taken any practice exam.

That's the biggest issue I see, right there. Practice, practice, practice. It's key. I'd recommend signing up for a course - I didn't particularly enjoy the classroom aspect, but the online material was super helpful.

:luck:

Make sure you vet the Kaplan course before signing up. Ask to sit in on a class so you can gain a better approximation of the teaching quality in YOUR area. Additionally, you absolutely must get some better verbal material. Kaplan is notoriously bad in verbal, though they are making some improvements. Pick up EK Verbal 101 and TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook. The TPRH workbook commonly pops up in the For Sale forum on here. Lastly, analyze what went wrong during your last attempt and figure out ways to improve.
EK 101 passages was the best investment I made for that section.

Again, thanks so much to all of you (Drexon, Sammich117) and everyone else who took the time to give me these important comments.

I will definitely make significant changes to my study habits. Actually, I wanted to take Kaplan because that would force me to stay on schedule, more importantly the course will give me access to practice exam. I did some research on SDN per your comments and I decided to get Verbal101 and the BR PS books (physics and chemistry for passage practice). I hope devoting more time to these materials and the Kaplan course should give me more opportunity for practice.

On the exam that I took, most of the material was familiar with the exception of a few passages. But, as some people suggested here, my science info was not up to date and I failed at the stage where you are expected to integrate concepts beyond knowing peripheral facts. But, failing at my first attempt has really inspired me to relfect more and to take the whole process more seriously. I will let you all know about my fate (perhaps in a few months). Thanks again for all your support!!