228 step 1, should I take step 2 early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineman12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know there was a recent thread about this, but my score is a little lower so I thought I'd make my own thread.

My stats:
Step 1: 228
Third year: Honors in 5/7 clerkships (including medicine and anesthesia)
Research/EC: Attended ASA x2 years, heavily involved with anesthesia dept at home institution, anesthesia research with oral presentation but no pubs

My dilemma: Should I take Step 2 early (early August), or should I do away rotations instead and postpone step 2 until October?

It's a real tough call- I worry that there might be programs with a 230 cut-off that I might miss, but conversely I want to do as many aways to get my name/face out there.

Please let me know what you guys think! This forum is awesome and I really appreciate all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

What he said.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where numbers fall short, relationships can provide an alternative- and often more certain- route of entry.

As things stand (the way you've described them), your best bet would be to focus your efforts on your home institution's program since this is where you've developed relationships via your research endeavours. Continue to build those relationships. Make it clear (only if you truly mean it and choose to go this route) that you are absolutely committed to matching there and very often they will "reserve" a spot for you because in general programs would much rather hire someone they know than take risks with applicants they've never worked with and cannot predict if they will constitute a good "fit" with them.

If you are determined to match outside your home program, and are targetting more competitive programs, then taking Step 2 early (with good scores) will bolster your application in addition to excelling at away rotations at those programs.

This is not to insinuate that your Step 1 score is dismal. However, your ability to match in addition to how you come across at interviews, also depends on whether or not you can distinguish yourself from the pack. As things stand, you are on par with the average successful MS4 match into anesthesia. So you have a fair-to-good chance of matching.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably keep my early step 2 date and work on that.

Hi guys,

I know there was a recent thread about this, but my score is a little lower so I thought I'd make my own thread.

My stats:
Research/EC: Attended ASA x2 years, heavily involved with anesthesia dept at home institution, anesthesia research with oral presentation but no pubs

My dilemma: Should I take Step 2 early (early August), or should I do away rotations instead and postpone step 2 until October?

It's a real tough call- I worry that there might be programs with a 230 cut-off that I might miss, but conversely I want to do as many aways to get my name/face out there.

Please let me know what you guys think! This forum is awesome and I really appreciate all your help.

You should definitely match with a 228 and your background. It looks like you've done well in medical school overall, and (as long as you apply to enough programs), you will be fine.

Now, if you are shooting for more competitive programs, it is worthwhile to consider taking step II early (and do well on it). If you've done well on your shelf exams (>75-80th %ile) through 3rd year, definitely go ahead and take it and rock it out.

I have a similar question. I have a couple of abstracts and 1 publication, all in anesthesiology, attended conferences. Just starting M3. Don't have my Step 1 yet (waiting for scores). But if it's over 240, how good are my chances for matching into top academic programs (Stanford, BW, Penn, Columbia...)? For those programs does getting 10 points more on Step 1 and 2 matter more or does your research and who you know and how influential your letters are matter more?

It's really hard to gauge how much research matters in anesthesia since charting outcomes are pretty much identical either way (unlike say derm). But is that also true for top academic programs?

The competition for residency positions at the big dogs is insane. All the applicants will end up applying to one or two "reach" programs, thinking an article, etc might get them through the screening. Then hundreds, literally hundreds, of foreign trained people apply, hoping that their years of experience in their home country will get them the one or two spots put aside for them each year.
You have to survive the cold screening process to secure a chance at an interview. Everything matters and a small score difference, research, one extra abstract, etc. might be all you need to get the nod. Having said that, the classes are large and they try to have some diversity within the class. That's why they get so many applicants.
Good luck. You sound like a strong applicant and might just find yourself at a big dog program one day. Don't forget that there are a lot of solid programs out there that may not have a big national reputation, but offer superior training. They will be regionally known and will get you a good job, fellowship, etc.

-
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

You will be fine. You need to quit stressing. I had a 232/234 on Steps 1 and 2 and applied to 27 programs, received 24 interviews (only B&W, MGH, and strangely Albert Einstein did not grant me interviews). received interviews at Duke, BIDMC, Wake Forest, Wash U, vanderbilt, UVA, UAB, Columbia, Cornell, and more. I did not do any research at all. I was not AOA. Had honors on OBGYN, Surger, and Internal Medicine. Did not honor a single course my first and second year. My top three places all told me if I wanted to go to their programs I was "insured" to go there with multiple emails, phone calls, etc. Several of the schools I ranked at the bottom of my list did this as well. I did not do an away rotation either. I went to a top 1/3 medical school (Wake Forest).

All that said, a 228 is fine. Aim to do better on Step 2 (but you would be aiming to do that regardless of your step 1 score. A lower step 2 score does not look great). Get strong letters of rec from your department. These matter a ton in my opinion. I think you'll be surprised how competitive you end up being. Apply broadly and turn down the ones you don't end up wanting.

I matched at my top choice, but like I said would have been all but guarunteed at any of my top three.

Last edited:
I know I'm bumping an older thread, but I wanted to get some opinions. I also have a 228 on step 1, from a DO school. I was planning on taking step 2 in 1 week but just took the uwsa and got a 221.:eek: Super bummed and frustrated and nervous about my step 2 score now. I'm considering not taking it at all and just take the comlex now. Obviously having a good step 2 score is best, but
what will hurt my anesthesia chances more; a low step 2 or no score at all? I got a stressful few days ahead of me...

Hi guys,

My stats:

Are you an osteopath?

wtf...

"Hi, I will be a graduate of a US Medical school having scored a 188 on USMLE Step 1 (much lower than I expected). I am planning on taking step 2 this June and doing three away rotations during my fourth year. I have done well on all my rotations, have passed every class in medical school, and have received good reviews from my evaluators during clerkships."

Reactions: 1 user
wtf...

"Hi, I will be a graduate of a US Medical school having scored a 188 on USMLE Step 1 (much lower than I expected). I am planning on taking step 2 this June and doing three away rotations during my fourth year. I have done well on all my rotations, have passed every class in medical school, and have received good reviews from my evaluators during clerkships."

He'll be fine, his step 2 score is 243. ;)