Anesthesiologist Offers To Take Pay Cut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you have to take pride in what you do. being a warrior is not easy. there are many battles along the way. but i would absolutely quit asap if i were one of the other 3
me too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for posting. This can happen to any of us. If I were one of the other MDs, I’d be looking for another job asap as they are likely next on the “cost savings” plan. Anyways good luck and hope you found a better adventure somewhere else.

Everyone has to do the math on what’s best for them and their family. Relocating and uprooting one’s family to a new community is a major life stressor for many. The more common response is to emotionally check out of the job/disengage. Quiet quitting, etc. Been there. Done that.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's worth maintaining credentials at more than one place, even if you're happy and all is well at your job.

I'm reasonably confident my current job will be my last, but I just renewed my credentials at a place I used to moonlight. I haven't worked there since 2021 and don't really have any expectation I'll ever do another shift there. But if the hospital I'm in now got struck by a meteor I could probably be working there within a week or two. More likely, I'd just take some time off and eventually go do some locums work, but it's good to have options. It really minimizes the leverage a place has on you and makes for deep, peaceful sleep at night.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone has to do the math on what’s best for them and their family. Relocating and uprooting one’s family to a new community is a major life stressor for many. The more common response is to emotionally check out of the job/disengage. Quiet quitting, etc. Been there. Done that.
Absolutely - I’ve seen a lottttt of people just disengage and do the minimum because they don’t want to rock the boat with family and such.

Sounds like the hospital was (only slightly) looking to save some bucks ( it was mentioned that they paid CRNA’s $400k each, at one time), or more likely trying to push you out, and doesn’t sound like your fellow Anesthesiologists were of much assistance in keeping you around (if you ALL took a $50k “cut”, that would have freed up enough money to keep you there ($200k), rather than trying to “save” $230k, by replacing you with a CRNA, if that was REALLY the issue).

Sorry the hospital did this to you. Sorry your “colleagues” did this to you. I hope you find “greener pastures”…..

Last edited:
How many cases were being done per day? It seems like it was a nice gig. 2 Ors. 4 people. 1 vacation. I post call? 12 was Vaca? Light call with post off?

Sounds like the hospital was (only slightly) looking to save some bucks ( it was mentioned that they paid CRNA’s $400k each, at one time), or more likely trying to push you out, and doesn’t sound like your fellow Anesthesiologists were of much assistance in keeping you around (if you ALL took a $50k “cut”, that would have freed up enough money to keep you there ($200k), rather than trying to “save” $230k, by replacing you with a CRNA, if that was REALLY the issue).

Sorry the hospital did this to you. Sorry your “colleagues” did this to you. I hope you find “greener pastures”…..
I'm sorry why should his colleagues ALSO take a pay cut? There's more to the story than we know, however no anesthesiologist should be taking a pay cut. You can argue that the anesthesiologists should have threatened to resign if he was laid off, but they shouldn't be taking pay cuts.

I'm sorry why should his colleagues ALSO take a pay cut? There's more to the story than we know, however no anesthesiologist should be taking a pay cut. You can argue that the anesthesiologists should have threatened to resign if he was laid off, but they shouldn't be taking pay cuts.
Well, theoretically, nobody should have had to or offered to. OTOH, if folks really cared about their partner, it might have been a nice gesture. Wonder what’ll happen when THEIR contract comes up in a year?? If really about money, maybe they get the same treatment. If they/hospital were just trying to force one particular person out, maybe nothing….

I'm not sure that kind of place has an l and d, and if it does its gotta be minimal.

Yep. Very low volume. 15-20 deliveries/mo. Probably 10 anesthetics (epidurals or c-sections) per month. I imagine the OR anesthesiologists staff labor and delivery between cases. It’s not reasonable to dedicate a doctor to L&D based on that volume.

“Both healthcare districts are deeply committed to providing the best care to their expectant mothers and newborns. On average, Northern Inyo Healthcare District delivers 180 babies each year in its four private birthing suites, and Mammoth Hospital delivers 60 babies a year in its spacious three-bed delivery unit. Both facilities promote breastfeeding as the optimal feeding method for newborns and offer pre-and post-natal educational classes for mothers.”

As recently as 1-2 years ago I saw ads on Gaswork offering 500k+ at that location. Thought it would be a good opportunity for someone who enjoyed a rural mountain lifestyle without much work volume. Must have been a bait n switch.

Last edited:
Until surgeons get sued for bad outcomes in crna only care or their malpractice insurance significantly increases to do so they won’t really care who does the anesthesia. All my surgeons would rather have an MD because it doesn’t cost them anything…. But if there’s no one available and they want to do cases on their time then a crna is just fine. None will wait for an md to be available. All surgeons just want to arrange the schedule as they see fit. Sure they prefer an md but if it means waiting or closing an OR or shorting their block time they don’t care that much!
One of my old surgeons in indiana preferred the crna bc she would never push back on clearance or time of surgery… she did as told. Admin didn’t care either - happy surgeons, same $ in, less $$$ out.

Reactions: 7 users
Until surgeons get sued for bad outcomes in crna only care or their malpractice insurance significantly increases to do so they won’t really care who does the anesthesia. All my surgeons would rather have an MD because it doesn’t cost them anything…. But if there’s no one available and they want to do cases on their time then a crna is just fine. None will wait for an md to be available. All surgeons just want to arrange the schedule as they see fit. Sure they prefer an md but if it means waiting or closing an OR or shorting their block time they don’t care that much!
One of my old surgeons in indiana preferred the crna bc she would never push back on clearance or time of surgery… she did as told. Admin didn’t care either - happy surgeons, same $ in, less $$$ out.

To the anesthesiologist….
Power and the money, money and the power

If they aren’t after one, they are after another.

To amyl,
You must have not met my “friend”, Rex
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/our-boy-rex-had-all-charges-dropped.1482193/

Rex = Anecdotal story very few people know about. Until this becomes very common or gets lots of press surgeons just don’t care that much…

I’m curious where they think they’ll find cRNas willing to take Q4 call in a rural location and how much actual cost savings that would get them

I’m curious where they think they’ll find cRNas willing to take Q4 call in a rural location and how much actual cost savings that would get them

Frequent “call” with very rare call back is very common in rural locations. There are more than a few CRNAs who will tolerate rural locations or less desirable areas or case mixes to avoid working with Anesthesiologists.

Other 3 anesthesiologists sound spineless that’s for sure. If I were them I might quit on the spot

It might have been better if you had let him explain his side of things first especially since he was willing to put himself out here instead of personal attacks on his manhood...just saying. After reading his comments I feel like he was very brave for taking a stand and making that point it wasn't about the money.
I’m gonna argue that we still don’t nearly know the entire story. His responses are quite opaque and give me the sense that there’s a lot more to the “extremely complicated” story than we’re being told.

Regardless, the correct move in these types of situations is almost always to leave.