23 y/o losing his mind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropsyance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started a clinical psychology Ph.D. program. When I was applying for grad school, I really started to feel like I should complete my med school requirements and apply a year later. When finally faced with the decision to accept a very well funded grad program or do another year in undergrad, I chose grad school. At the time I realized the great opportunity I had been offered by this school, and figured that medical school was just a flight of fancy. And now...

I feel very unhappy and unsatisfied with the way my career choice is shaping up. As a former researcher in a neuroscience lab, I can't stand the complete lack of science. I want to help people, but I feel like clinical psychology would only limit my ability to do so (not to mention the job outlook is not so good).

I'm considering taking two years to finish my masters, then leave the program (I hate backing out of commitments, so I will NOT drop out immediately). After that I'll do a year of undergrad (Chem I/II, Ochem I/II, Phys I/II, Calc, Biochem), take the mcat, then apply. Hopefully interview the next year, then hopefully start med school when I'm 27 (can't say I'm happy with the idea of finishing residency four years after I should have).

It's just such a hard leap to take, not to mention I'll have to finish my masters first.

How did you all feel about making the leap, any advice for sorting out my feelings?

It's a long post, so thanks for reading, and hopefully replying. I just want to hear from people that have been in my position before.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I'd drop out. What's worse? Taking up 2 years of their resources and what not to drop out or dropping out now and pursuing your interest?

I wanted to go into Clinical Psychology too. I know how you feel about the lack of science. Seems most Clinical Psychology is a bunch of guess work except for the studies regarding CBT.

I completely agree, I just feel bad about the idea of bailing on the professor I'm supposed to be working with for 4/5 years.

Mind if I ask what you are up to now that you've started moving in the right direction?

I completely agree, I just feel bad about the idea of bailing on the professor I'm supposed to be working with for 4/5 years.

Mind if I ask what you are up to now that you've started moving in the right direction?
Being very poor barely making ends meet because I'm doing my post-bacc work. Any part-time in this economy means a blue collar job, and even the jobs designed for college graduates are now being taken over by people with 10-20 years experience because of the economy.

Just talk to the professor. Sit down with him/her and explain the situation. Personally, I'd respect a person that were upfront with me about their intentions. Tell him/her you're willing to stay as long as necessary for the professor's transition of finding a replacement goes. He or she may be counting on you to do statistical analysis or something else, but can find someone else with proper notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked at clinical neuropsychology? The PhD programs for it are few and young, so most job opportunities accept a PhD in clinical psych. You get a bit more of the sciency part of psych, and a lot of patient interaction. You can work alongside neurologists and neurosurgeons, and even be staff at major hospitals. And the job outlook is great, at least if you like working with older individuals. If I didn't want to do medicine so badly, clinical neuropsych would be where I went.

But again, if your dream is to be a doctor, and the only thing holding you back is a few classes, just do them :)

Thanks, I came to grad school with the intent of going into clinical neuropsych. I'm not in a grad program with a neuropsych track though, which bothers me, because if I don't get the internship I want, I don't get to be a clinical neuropsychologist (a little messed up? I think so!)

I really appreciate the advice and support! Anyone else have any words of wisdom for going back to finish med school prerequisites?

Thanks, I came to grad school with the intent of going into clinical neuropsych. I'm not in a grad program with a neuropsych track though, which bothers me, because if I don't get the internship I want, I don't get to be a clinical neuropsychologist (a little messed up? I think so!)

I really appreciate the advice and support! Anyone else have any words of wisdom for going back to finish med school prerequisites?

Complete your Masters degree and take the prereqs while you are in the Masters program. DO NOT DROP OUT.