36 y/o nontrad RN introduction and seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pook2718

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post on SDN. I originally posted this on a premed group on Facebook. One person there suggested that I look for advice here. I apologize if this isn't the right place. Let's see how this goes.

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. The first time I considered studying medicine was in 2006, when I was 19. I always loved science, and helping others, so I thought that medicine was the obvious path to take. But I had a rough time in college. I had zero study skills, and had no idea what I was doing. I kept switching majors, dropping classes, switching universities. I felt lost. On top of all that, I had been struggling with episodes of depression and severe anxiety from a young age.

In a moment of despair I stumbled into a nursing program at my local university, but managed to finish my degree. I excelled there. I was fascinated by health sciences, and the human body. I also knew from day one that nursing would never be enough. By then I was in my mid-twenties and needed to start my life, so I thought I’d work as a nurse for a short while until I figured out what I wanted. That was almost ten years ago. In 2015 I took a backpack, a small suitcase, and my nursing license and moved to Western New York. I’ve been working here ever since. I now work at a large emergency department, and love the chaos, but I crave more knowledge.

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 29, which explained a lot. I’ve since gone to therapy, developed a meditation practice, and learned more about what works for me and what doesn’t. I have matured, and have become more organized. But none of that changes these facts: I have 28 W’s and 7 F’s on my transcript; I haven’t set foot in a classroom in a decade; I never took organic chemistry; My other prereqs are 15 years old. Some of these courses I repeated a few times, but here are the final grades: General Chemistry 1 & 2 - B’s, General Biology 1 & 2 - A & B, Physics 1 & 2 - A & B, plus many math courses. According to the GPA calculator on Mappd my cGPA is 3.15, and my sGPA is 2.72, with an upward trend. Terrible, I know.

That dream of becoming a doctor has never wavered. I’ve had well-intentioned nurses tell me that “I’m wasting my time here.” and a few doctors ask “So when are you going to med school?” I have to try again. Should I repeat all of these courses? Find a formal post-bacc program? Apply to an SMP? I’m open to advice and suggestions, no matter how brutal it may be. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Since your prerequisites are from 15 years ago, you should repeat all the prerequisites that you previously took and also Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry. You do not need to do a formal post bacc. You could take the courses at a local college. This will require another 2 years .Do not take the MCAT until you have completed all the science prerequisites.

It would be a great challenge to get into med school with that many Ws and Fs. Also medicine is devolving and it certainly in my opinion wouldn’t be worth the effort anyway. You’d probably be nearly 50 by the time you finish residency.

There are also great avenues to consider via the nursing pathway. Why not become a CRNA or NP?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since your prerequisites are from 15 years ago, you should repeat all the prerequisites that you previously took and also Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry. You do not need to do a formal post bacc. You could take the courses at a local college. This will require another 2 years .Do not take the MCAT until you have completed all the science prerequisites.
Thank you. This is what I was thinking, as well. I'm fortunate to have several colleges and universities in my city to choose from. Question: when you say local college, do you mean community college? I understand that most schools prefer that courses be taken at four year colleges, but that community college may work in certain circumstances.

It would be a great challenge to get into med school with that many Ws and Fs. Also medicine is devolving and it certainly in my opinion wouldn’t be worth the effort anyway. You’d probably be nearly 50 by the time you finish residency.

There are also great avenues to consider via the nursing pathway. Why not become a CRNA or NP?
It would be a great challenge, indeed. I've considered becoming a mid-level provider, but I'd never be satisfied. I want the full depth of knowledge and opportunities that can only come from a terminal degree. With any luck, I'll be 50 anyway, so I might as well live the life I want. Thank you for your reply.

Thank you. This is what I was thinking, as well. I'm fortunate to have several colleges and universities in my city to choose from. Question: when you say local college, do you mean community college? I understand that most schools prefer that courses be taken at four year colleges, but that community college may work in certain circumstances.
4 year college would be better, but community college if fine for DO schools and some MD schools.

I'm fortunate to have several colleges and universities in my city to choose from. Question: when you say local college, do you mean community college?
Community college is fine for MD schools in CA (I'm not familiar with Northstate's preferences, though).

I did all my prereqs at a community college after going back to school nearly a decade after graduating.

Schools for the most part get that nontraditional students have burdens that many younger students don’t like family and debt, so they understand the cost savings of CC.

I second the poster above, Non-trad coming from Nursing as well. I took all my prereqs at CC.
Regarding that though, I'd say when it comes to apply just be upfront in your reasoning, whether it be due to familial obligations, work, or finances why attending CC was better for your situation. Second, you absolutely need to ace EVERYTHING. Theres already a stigma against CC work compared to a traditional university. Dont give them any reason to doubt your academic ability.

Reactions: 1 users