231 Step 1 - Chances for Ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Blue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Disappointed with my return in Step 1 exam.
Clinical grades also not as good with 1 H (Psych) and 1 HP (Surgery).
Attend a top 10 school.
Publications: 2 ophtho manuscripts published, one middle author (large project, high impact journal, I earned 2 grants for this project, one of which was NIH awarded), one first author (basic science, low impact journal).
4 ophtho abstracts (3 first author).
7 abstracts published in different fields (Surgery, Global Health)
From undergrad, 1 poster and 1 second author manuscript in basic science neurosurgery

Strong commitment to ophthalmology dating back through freshman year of college. Lots of volunteering and global health work.

Need to know if I should continue to put "all my eggs" in the ophthalmology basket for now or shift focus to a different field . I love ophtho but I love matching just as much, if not more! and I know my grades are not stellar for this fantastic field.

I'd like to match at a decent program with good fellowship match, hopefully in a major city

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see a need to worry. You have a better Step 1 than I did, much more research. Personality goes a long way during interviews as well, but as long as those are in place I don't see how you would not match into Ophthalmology

Yeah you are fine. Just be normal in your interviews and make good connections on aways. Ophtho does care about what school you come from, so you have that going for you. Apply broadly

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with others. Yes it's a low score for ophtho but you have plenty of other things going for you. You can't change the score now so just focus on making other areas of your application stellar. The committees will notice that and want to interview you. One thing I will say is find good mentors who will vouch for you and contact programs once you submit your SFmatch application. This will get your application reviewed whereas it might have been filtered out because of the step 1 score. Another option is to take Step 2 CK and make sure you score really well on that.

I must apologize, I initially read this as 251 step 1. I would say that at PGY1 program I'm at, came across an applicant that matched with a lower step 1 than your 231.

I must apologize, I initially read this as 251 step 1. I would say that at PGY1 program I'm at, came across an applicant that matched with a lower step 1 than your 231.
Oh how I wish I had a 251! How would you say chances are with a 231? Would you say it is more of a gamble?

Oh how I wish I had a 251! How would you say chances are with a 231? Would you say it is more of a gamble?

Speak to your chairman/program director and take their advice seriously. If they say it won't be a problem with your past history of research you are probably fine. Top 10 med school does carry some weight.

On the other hand, if you really wanted to sink it and end up at a great city program, consider a research year. AUPO releases match statistics every year, and one of the more interesting metrics (in my opinion) is the "25th percentile matched Step 1 score." From this year, mean was a 245, 75th percentile was a 254, and the 25th percentile was just a 239, so unfortunately you are on the lower side of things. You can match, for sure and I know people who have done so with much lower scores than yours. Research with a great mentor who will make calls for you and talk to other PDs and chairs in person can open up doors for you. Top 10 schools tend to have awesome faculty, so seek out some people who really believe in your story and prove to them how great you are.

If you love ophthalmology as much as any of us, then you owe it to yourself to give it your all and go for it. However, if you feel like it's a good field but there are other areas of medicine where you could be happy, then certainly go for those specialties.

Go for it, talk with people as previously mentioned. I was part of rank list discussion at my PGY1 program and lower scores than a 231 matched this year, although they were from well known Ophthalmology schools (which shows how much weight attending a medical school with a strong Ophthalmology program carries)

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on where I stand for ophtho competitiveness.
Current third year at a mid/top tier medical school. Strong connection to ophtho (both parents are ophthalmologists and research in college - but no paper came of it)
Step 1: 243
Step 2: haven’t taken yet
All pass years 1 and 2 (p/f)
3rd year clerkships: (p/hp/h)
Pass obgyn (first rotation)
Hp peds (second rotation)
Honors: radiology, IM, psych, family, neuro
Haven’t finished surgery

1 Basic science ophtho research paper just submitted (non first author) with 1 poster presentation.

Will be taking a year off getting my mba and doing more ophtho research.

Thanks!