244 Step 2, aiming for ortho, T20 med school

Started by fogo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fogo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I just got back my Step 2 CK score — 244, which I know is below average for ortho (which is 257–258 as the matched mean). I've been dejected after opening the score report as I had been scoring 250s on my practice exams and didn't expect to drop below 250. I've been gung ho ortho since day 1 and want to do anything and everything to make this dream happen. I’m feeling a little anxious and wanted some input from others who’ve been through the process.

My quick profile:
  • Step 2 CK: 244
  • Top 20 MD school
  • Clinical grades: Honors in Surgery and Pediatrics, High Pass in Medicine and Psychiatry, Pass in OB/Gyn
  • 6 PubMed publications (4 ortho, 2 first-author)
  • 25-27 total research items (abstracts, posters, oral presentations)
  • 3 aways planned at mid-tier programs
I'm currently in the middle of my sub-I's. I've been trying to do the best I can but this has been a big shock for me and I'm trying to gauge whether it's worth continuing and if I'd need to dual apply. Thank you
 
All is not lost. Maximize the rest of your application. Have a backup plan - decide now whether you'd do an additional year, SOAP into something else, or consider a backup specialty.
1753105038772.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advisors are saying that my score is above the screening cutoff for many programs, but med school admin is suggesting that I seriously consider back up plans. I’m thinking about dual applying ortho and PM&R at this point as I don’t think a research year will add much to my profile and SOAPing sounds about as appealing as contracting gonorrhea. Haven’t spoken to my home ortho PD yet but I suspect they will say the same thing that there is some risk involved.
 
PM&R is wildly different than ortho. Make sure you'd really be happy there.
I probably won't be "really happy" with any specialty other than ortho but it is what it is at this point. At the same time I'd rather have a job than not have a job.
 
Give it everything you got on your away sub-i. Hopefully, your home program really likes you also. You still have a shot, but I would dual apply 100%. GL.
 
I probably won't be "really happy" with any specialty other than ortho but it is what it is at this point. At the same time I'd rather have a job than not have a job.
You probably should do 1 year research if you don't match the first time around. And apply to both the following year. As another poster said above, these two specialties have a vast sea between them.
 
You probably should do 1 year research if you don't match the first time around. And apply to both the following year. As another poster said above, these two specialties have a vast sea between them.
My financial situation currently is such that not matching this cycle is very undesirable. Also my home ortho PD did say my research is sufficiently strong for matching ortho so I see no point in a research year. I hate that I dug myself into this hole but I’ll try my best on my sub-I’s and see where that takes me.
 
My financial situation currently is such that not matching this cycle is very undesirable. Also my home ortho PD did say my research is sufficiently strong for matching ortho so I see no point in a research year. I hate that I dug myself into this hole but I’ll try my best on my sub-I’s and see where that takes me.
I can't speak to ortho or other surgical subs but I suspect surgeons may similarly emphasize "fit"/interview performance once you've made it to that stage. In psych (my specialty), all the numbers stuff is tiebreaker fodder in comparison to interview impressions. Sounds like your app should still be sufficiently compelling to get a good number of ortho interviews, assuming you're kicking ass in some of your sub-I's and getting super solid letters or building a good rep for yourself at those programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't speak to ortho or other surgical subs but I suspect surgeons may similarly emphasize "fit"/interview performance once you've made it to that stage. In psych (my specialty), all the numbers stuff is tiebreaker fodder in comparison to interview impressions. Sounds like your app should still be sufficiently compelling to get a good number of ortho interviews, assuming you're kicking ass in some of your sub-I's and getting super solid letters or building a good rep for yourself at those programs.

Fit is a huge part and why always are so important.