This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmich

Reaction score
Date of submission: Late June
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.5
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.53 based on aadsas
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

PAT 24
QR 24
RC 22
BIO 24
GCHEM 26
OCHEM 26
TS 25
AA 24
State of Residence: MI, US citizen

Undergrad Attended: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Major: Biomolecular Science
Minor: N/A
Minority?
No - Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+ hours general, 40 hrs Endo
Volunteering Experience: Church involvement for past 5 years
Employment: Steril Tech at endo, DA at endo for 6 months, DA at general since June 2023
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: none
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? None
Relevant Honors or Awards: Multiple University honors
LOR type and strength: 2 Science prof from my major, 1 endodontist that I worked with, 1 from pastor for optional 4th one.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I have a W on my transcript for my orgo 1, and retook it on the next spring. i bombed first two exams and withdrew it in my freshman year.
School list:

BU
CWRU
DCG
USC
Marquette
Rutgers
Temple
UCSF - Rejected
UCLA
Colorado
Umich
Upenn

Members don't see this ad.

Why didn't you apply to UDM?

DCG may be tough without a specific connection to Georgia. What was yours? Similar argument for Colorado.

Honestly, you may just need to wait. I think you could do better with nonclinical volunteering, but I need a breakdown of what you did with your faith community. No campus extracurriculars is a curious aspect of your application that could be a yellow flag (what did you do on campus other than study?). Basically, what activities show me your like working with diverse individuals with various social needs? (That is important with UCSF given their location and activities in SF.)

No research is not ideal with places like Penn to me. Perhaps UM too, but not sure.

That said, nothing stands out to me that summarily excludes your application IMO.

Why didn't you apply to UDM?

DCG may be tough without a specific connection to Georgia. What was yours? Similar argument for Colorado.

Honestly, you may just need to wait. I think you could do better with nonclinical volunteering, but I need a breakdown of what you did with your faith community. No campus extracurriculars is a curious aspect of your application that could be a yellow flag (what did you do on campus other than study?). Basically, what activities show me your like working with diverse individuals with various social needs? (That is important with UCSF given their location and activities in SF.)

No research is not ideal with places like Penn to me. Perhaps UM too, but not sure.

That said, nothing stands out to me that summarily excludes your application IMO.
UDM required one rec letter from a general dentist, but I did not have one. For DCG, my gf lives there so I just applied in the hopes of rare acceptance tbh.

For church involvement, I served as a small group and administrative leader for the young adult group. And I completely agree with you that some schools that I applied to are research heavy. I am currently looking for a research position. To boost my app a little, I started volunteering in local community centers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My questions will be:

1. What could be my redflags or yellowflags in my app?
2. If I have to reapply next cycle (which I am thinking that I should), what are the things that could possibly boost my app? Should I keep searching for research opportunities or stick with dental assistant position?
3. If I have to reapply, is it okay to get rec letters from the same prof? Or should I look for different professors?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
My questions will be:

1. What could be my redflags or yellowflags in my app?
2. If I have to reapply next cycle (which I am thinking that I should), what are the things that could possibly boost my app? Should I keep searching for research opportunities or stick with dental assistant position?
3. If I have to reapply, is it okay to get rec letters from the same prof? Or should I look for different professors?

Any advice will be appreciated.
It depends on what you wrote in your application. Holistic review means you have to show more than your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Not having a letter from a general dentist and no dental related volunteering stand out to me. Also no extracurriculars isnt great either. If you have to reapply, fix those 3 things. Maybe you can start dental volunteering rn and update the schools via email. Idk. Bit of a Hail Mary. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your inputs. For dental volunteering, do I contact dental clinics for any volunteer opportunities? Hows that work?

Thank you for your inputs. For dental volunteering, do I contact dental clinics for any volunteer opportunities? Hows that work?
Since you are a DA, ask your dentists for suggestions on dental clinics or free clinics where you can work.

Again, your lack of any other campus ECs could be a problem, so what you do outside your comfort zone after graduating is very important. Dentists need to be part of their community early on.

Think about Loma Linda if Christianity is an essential part of your identity.

I don’t think it’s necessary to have a dentist LOR, a lot of people I know got accepted without one. But if you’re working in a clinic with a dentist, it could probably help you