WAMC— no interviews yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipr20

Reaction score
Date of submission: 20 June 2023
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.72
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.74
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 20/ BIO 19/ GC 18/ OC 18/ PA 17/ QR 21/ RC 23
State of Residence: Colorado
Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? 3rd time
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience: 100+ hrs with general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 300 hrs community library, 20 hrs food bank, 50 hrs mentoring and tutoring youth, 1 day providing free dental care at clinic I work at.
Employment: 2,000+ hrs dental assistant
Research: N/A
Relevant Honors or Awards: 3x Dean's List, 3x President's List, 1 Scholarship
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist (strong), 3 professors (strong)
Schools applied to:
Western
Roseman
Creighton
UNLV
Nebraska
Midwestern AZ (rejected)
Midwestern IL
Oregon Health and Sciences
Colorado
Tufts
Iowa
Touro
AT Still AZ (rejected)
LECOM

WAMC for an interview this cycle? Have not got one yet, last cycle I got one with Colorado and one with LECOM.

Members don't see this ad.

What have you done differently this cycle compared to last?
I have been working full time as a dental assistant since last December and also have gotten more involved with volunteering. I met with the Colorado admissions office following my rejection from them last cycle and I was told my application was very competitive, however they would like to see more experience in the dental field and leadership. I for sure addressed getting work experience in the dental field, and feel like I have addressed leadership through the volunteering I have been doing because I am working with youth and serving as a mentor, tutor, role model, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Old WAMC

Reactions: 1 user
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 20/ BIO 19/ GC 18/ OC 18/ PA 17/ QR 21/ RC 23
Minority? No
Reapplicant? 3rd time
Nontrad? No
Volunteering Experience: 300 hrs community library, 20 hrs food bank, 50 hrs mentoring and tutoring youth, 1 day providing free dental care at clinic I work at.
Schools applied to:
Western
Roseman
Creighton
UNLV
Nebraska
Midwestern AZ (rejected)
Midwestern IL
Colorado
Tufts
Iowa
Touro
AT Still AZ (rejected)
LECOM

WAMC for an interview this cycle? Have not got one yet, last cycle I got one with Colorado and one with LECOM.
what is your TS?
did you get any interviews the first cycle you applied?
how many times have you taken the DAT?

what is your TS?
did you get any interviews the first cycle you applied?
how many times have you taken the DAT?
TS is 19.
Did not get any interviews in the first cycle; I applied in November.
Took the DAT once.

What did you do in the community library? The experiences still seem light; you need more food bank hours (closer to 100).
Check books in and out, shelve books, assist customers, help out with events hosted by staff.

I know my scores aren't exceptional, but felt like they were competitive.
did you speak to any other schools the first 2 cycles other than colorado to see what you could improve upon?

Could you show your work how your DAT scores (AA and PAT) compare to the incoming classes at the schools you listed? I'm curious about that.
Just looking at avg AA for upcoming classes on schools’ websites. I am aware that my PAT is below avg however my AA seems to be competitive. When I met with Colorado, my DAT scores being competitive was also reinforced to me.

Minority? No
Reapplicant? 3rd time
Nontrad? No
Schools applied to:
Western
Roseman
Creighton
UNLV
Nebraska
Midwestern AZ (rejected)
Midwestern IL
Colorado
Tufts
Iowa
Touro
AT Still AZ (rejected)
LECOM

I feel like if you're a dental assistant then you should have more dental related volunteering. It's important, applicants who aren't dental assistants still find ways to achieve this. If you have to reapply next cycle get some hours volunteering in a free clinic.

Reactions: 1 user
Do any of the places send out a Kira assessment before they send out interview invites? I know Roseman does, not sure about the other places.