25P MCAT URM Please HELP. JUST GOT SCORE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsuku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sports background can help
( it did for me) . You have a Decent gpa. Look at osteopathic schools and consider post bacc if is necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I played in Mexico. Played with usmnt u-17 in Bradenton.

I wouldn't worry about the haters. You stand a chance. Consider post bacc as this can be a foot into a do school.

5000 hours of shadowing? or did you mean 500? because 5000 hours of shadowing is a definite waste of time unless it was clinical volunteering too. Even then though it seems like a major over kill. Any way to answer your question HBC yeah you have a chance other medical schools not so much. DO you have a pretty decent chance.

OP, you since you are Black with a 3.5 and a 25, you have a 75% chance of acceptance. Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/157594/data/table25-b-mcatgpa-grid-black.pdf

This is the same chance that someone who is white has if they have approximately a 3.8 and a 32. Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-mcatgpa-grid-white-0911.pdf

So I dont know what everyone above is saying about no chance at MD except HBCUs or to only consider DO. That is crazy. If the rest of your application is on point and you are not socially awkward or have a toxic personality, you will surely get accepted. The idea of doing a postbac with your chances is ridiculous. On top of that, you were an athlete and you are disadvantaged. Still apply broadly and to a few DO schools if you want, but you should have no trouble getting a MD acceptance.

Sweet, thanks for the quick response. I hope it does. I played soccer very competitive. I wont go into it all because i was called a troll last time i mentioned some accomplishments. but it involved playing in the U20 FIFA world cup for my country. I will definitely look into DO. Do you think i will be competitive for DO this cycle

I just noticed you said "for my country." Are you a U.S. Citizen? Or will you be applying as an international student?

5000 hours of shadowing? That's 625 full days (8 hours) of shadowing.. Intense.

Also, you graduated with honors with only a 3.51 GPA?

Either way, as a URM you have a decent chance at getting in even with a 25 MCAT. Do a search on SDN and you'll find a chart of matriculant data by race.

The average black matriculant (2011) had a 26.3 MCAT and a 3.44GPA (3.30sGPA).

OP, you since you are Black with a 3.5 and a 25, you have a 75% chance of acceptance. Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/157594/data/table25-b-mcatgpa-grid-black.pdf

This is the same chance that someone who is white has if they have approximately a 3.8 and a 32. Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-mcatgpa-grid-white-0911.pdf

So I dont know what everyone above is saying about no chance at MD except HBCUs or to only consider DO. That is crazy. If the rest of your application is on point and you are not socially awkward or have a toxic personality, you will surely get accepted. The idea of doing a postbac with your chances is ridiculous. On top of that, you were an athlete and you are disadvantaged. Still apply broadly and to a few DO schools if you want, but you should have no trouble getting a MD acceptance.

That 75 % chance is mainly due to HBC accepting a lot of those applicants. They tend to accept a lot of mid 20 MCAT scorers and take risks that pay off for them in the long term. Trust me if you take HBC out of the picture then the percentage drops not a lot but it does drop. I didn't say he has NO chance at other MD schools I said "not so much" compared to HBC so his focus should mainly be on them primarily and if he wants to apply to others sure why not.

Members don't see this ad :)
That 75 % chance is mainly due to HBC accepting a lot of those applicants. They tend to accept a lot of mid 20 MCAT scorers and take risks that pay off for them in the long term. Trust me if you take HBC out of the picture then the percentage drops not a lot but it does drop. I didn't say he has NO chance at other MD schools I said "not so much" compared to HBC so his focus should mainly be on them primarily and if he wants to apply to others sure why not.

HBCUs only make up about 16% of all the Black students matriculants. So it does not have that much of an effect. It does not have that much of an effect on the numbers and does not change the fact that OP, unless having serious issue with his/her application outside of the stats, will surely get accepted to MD if he/she applies early and interviews moderately well.

What do you guys think about openly telling ADCOMs that he worked his butt off and got a 25? It's good because he worked hard, but it might be bad because he worked so hard for a 25.

I was born and raised in the United States. Both of my parents are from other countries. And it was very intense. I loved it though

Oh ok I was just making sure because if you were an international applicant, your numbers wouldnt look so good. You are in great shape for this application cycle though.

HBCUs only make up about 16% of all the Black students matriculants. So it does not have that much of an effect. It does not have that much of an effect on the numbers and does not change the fact that OP, unless having serious issue with his/her application outside of the stats, will surely get accepted to MD if he/she applies early and interviews moderately well.

You're not understanding what I'm trying to say. Historically Black Medical schools have median GPA of 3.4 and MCAT score of 25. That obviously means they accept individuals above and mostly below that. There were 401 applicants in the category of OPs stats and 301 were accepted. Even though HBC make 16 % of medical schools I can guarantee you that a good chunk of those 301 matriculants went into HBC. Do you think African Americans with higher stats then that went into HBC? yeah sure some but the majority went into mid-tier schools and obviously the stellar went into top-tier. Therefore, using that 75 % chance and assuming it correlates with all other medical schools is not only incorrect but wishful thinking. Yes, OP has a chance at other medical schools but HIS GREATEST CHANCE is with HBC. Why is this so hard to understand?

You're not understanding what I'm trying to say. Historically Black Medical schools have median GPA of 3.4 and MCAT score of 25. That obviously means they accept individuals above and mostly below that. There were 401 applicants in the category of OPs stats and 301 were accepted. Even though HBC make 16 % of medical schools I can guarantee you that a good chunk of those 301 matriculants went into HBC. Do you think African Americans with higher stats then that went into HBC? yeah sure some but the majority went into mid-tier schools and obviously the stellar went into top-tier. Therefore, using that 75 % chance and assuming it correlates with all other medical schools is not only incorrect but wishful thinking. Yes, OP has a chance at other medical schools but HIS GREATEST CHANCE is with HBC. Why is this so hard to understand?

+1. I guess HBC = historically black colleges? Either way, I agree 100%

Edit: DO would be a waste of money imo.

Actually it is 5,000 hours. I know it seems abnormally high. I wasnt trying to do an over kill situation. I work as an Orthopedic technician and medical assistant. i have done so since I was a young kid. In my spare times during summer , christmas, and when I wasnt on the clock, I was volunteering and shadowing.

I am sorry, but there is no way you have 5,000 hours of actual shadowing... That is just absurd. That would be almost a full two years of your life spent shadowing. Even if this is true (which it is not) there is no way that an adcom would ever believe this. I can see if you attained this many hours counting the time that you were at work, but 5,000 hours otherwise is ridiculous...

No, HBCUs do not make up 16% of medical schools. I am saying that of the approximately 1250 Black matriculants, only 200 of those Black students were matriculants at HBCUs...so 200 out of 1250 is 16%. I am saying this 16% is not going to affect the numbers to the extent that OP only has a shot at HBCUs. I agree that OP has the GREATEST chance at HBCUs, but if you read above, you said OP has a shot at HBCUs but at other MD schools not so much. Now you are saying OP does have a chance at other MD schools but HIS GREATEST CHANCE is with HBCUs. Don't change what you say so that it suits your new argument.

No, HBCUs do not make up 16% of medical schools. I am saying that of the approximately 1250 Black matriculants, only 200 of those Black students were matriculants at HBCUs...so 200 out of 1250 is 16%. I am saying this 16% is not going to affect the numbers to the extent that OP only has a shot at HBCUs. I agree that OP has the GREATEST chance at HBCUs, but if you read above, you said OP has a shot at HBCUs but at other MD schools not so much. Now you are saying OP does have a chance at other MD schools but HIS GREATEST CHANCE is with HBCUs. Don't change what you say so that it suits your new argument.

I meant 16 % of the matriculants did not mean to type med schools.

5000 hours of shadowing? or did you mean 500? because 5000 hours of shadowing is a definite waste of time unless it was clinical volunteering too. Even then though it seems like a major over kill. Any way to answer your question HBC yeah you have a chance other medical schools not so much. DO you have a pretty decent chance.

This argument is getting pretty pointless, I told him that his chances at other medical schools were not so much as HBC. It might appear as if I wrote he had absolutely no chance at other medical schools according to you but that is not what I meant. "Not so much" means, "something isn't good, especially in comparison to something else.." and in that case I said his chances were not good at OTHER medical schools in COMPARISON TO HBC.

http://www.learnamericanenglishonline.com/American_Slang/American_Slang_N.html

Last edited:
I am sorry, but there is no way you have 5,000 hours of actual shadowing... That is just absurd. That would be almost a full two years of your life spent shadowing. Even if this is true (which it is not) there is no way that an adcom would ever believe this. I can see if you attained this many hours counting the time that you were at work, but 5,000 hours otherwise is ridiculous...

I didn't want to be the first one to call him out, but I agree with this. Most people don't even have anywhere near 5k hours volunteering + working + shadowing + research and to have 5k hours of one is highly unbelievable. Even if it is true, ADCOMs might not believe it.

I meant 16 % of the matriculants did not mean to type med schools.

This argument is getting pretty pointless, I told him that his chances at other medical schools were not so much as HBC. It might appear as if I wrote he had absolutely no chance at other medical schools according to you but that is not what I meant. "Not so much" means, "something isn't good, especially in comparison to something else.." and in that case I said his chances were not good at OTHER medical schools in COMPARISON TO HBC.

http://www.learnamericanenglishonline.com/American_Slang/American_Slang_N.html

I agree this "argument" got pointless with your "Why is this so hard to understand" and link to american slang. I tried to have a conversation with you, but obviously according to you we are "arguing." What are we 10 years old? You need to find a better way to communicate than arguing and trying to belittle someone. It just makes you look immature. End of "argument."

I agree this "argument" got pointless with your "Why is this so hard to understand" and link to american slang. I tried to have a conversation with you, but obviously according to you we are "arguing." What are we 10 years old? You need to find a better way to communicate than arguing and trying to belittle someone. It just makes you look immature. End of "argument."

I made an inappropriate comment to you concerning, "why is this so hard to understand" and I apologize. I had no intentions of putting anyone down neither you or the OP. Good luck to you all.

I have taken the MCAT three times. I am African American from a disadvantaged and underrepresented area. My sgpa is 3.4 and my overall is 3.51. I graduated with honors from a top university in Florida. I received a 25P on this last mcat. Which to many will seem like ****, but to be honest, I am ecstatic. This exam has really tested me in every way possible, and I made an incredible 7 point jump, please dont laugh you 30+ mcat takers:p Anyways, I have 5000+ shadowing in both clinic and OR. I have played professional athletics, and stopped due to a career ending injury. I am very much wanting to apply both DO and MD. Do I stand a chance with a URM status and with a ton of great LOR. I have an extensive international athletic background too. Please chance me. Will my 3 attempts be okay? I did make a 7 point jump, so I am hoping that adcoms look and see that I really worked my ass off for the improvement.
MCAT 4/28 PS 10 VR 7 BS 8.

3.4/25 URM you're good to go at any of the Top 20s and probably some of the Ivies

So you are trying to say that you shadowed a physician every week for an average of 12 hours/week, 52 weeks a year for 8 years. This is honestly one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. COME ON, JUST COME ON. 500 hours shadowing is hard enough to believe, but 5,000. This is laughable.

There is no such thing as a top University in Florida, but being black, you'll get in at an HBCU for sure or any DO school you want.

5000 hours of shadowing? That's 625 full days (8 hours) of shadowing.. Intense.

Also, you graduated with honors with only a 3.51 GPA?
I know that the state University where I live has a 3.5 cut off for Cum Laude, 3.7 for Magna and 3.9 for Summa. My University had like a 3.7 just for Cum Laude. It sucks :-(

Haha. Okay I thought I was going crazy this person is an uber-troll. Just found one of their posts from April in WAMC where they claimed to have 10,000+ shadowing hours and played in two world cups...

So you are trying to say that you shadowed a physician every week for an average of 12 hours/week, 52 weeks a year for 8 years. This is honestly one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. COME ON, JUST COME ON. 500 hours shadowing is hard enough to believe, but 5,000. This is laughable.
He's counting his job as a tech and what not as being "shadowing," which he really should not. He should count true shadowing hours only, otherwise he runs the risk of seeming like a liar.

So in the past month, your shadowing hours went from 10,000 to 5,000?

3.4/25 URM you're good to go at any of the Top 20s and probably some of the Ivies

Troll? :confused:

I know that the state University where I live has a 3.5 cut off for Cum Laude, 3.7 for Magna and 3.9 for Summa. My University had like a 3.7 just for Cum Laude. It sucks :-(

Yea, mine was 3.7 as well. Interesting that a "top university" would have such a low cut off.

Haha. Okay I thought I was going crazy this person is an uber-troll. Just found one of their posts from April in WAMC where they claimed to have 10,000+ shadowing hours and played in two world cups...

10k hours and played in two world cups? Mmm. I've played in and won many World Cups on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Unfortunately, the shadowing clock was broken, so once you hit 10k, it starts going backward.

:laugh:

Damn, it's too bad nobody quoted the OP. He deleted it.

Edit: Nevermind, post 28!