27 MCAT 3.4 cGPA 3.1 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjsh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd suggest retaking MCAT if you can. That will greatly increase your chances of getting in if you can bump it up higher than a 27.

I have very similar stats as you (3.4 GPA, 3.25 sGPA, 27Q MCAT) with really good ECs. I applied to 10 DO schools and 3 MD schools. I got 5 DO (1 MD) interview invites.

Word of advice, though - apply to some of the newer DO schools. I received ii from Campbell, WCU, LMU, and VCOM-CC... all fairly new DO schools.

I'm aiming for the next application cycle.
3.4 cGPA 3.1 sGPA with lots of retakes (7). Upward trend the last two semesters.
Double major Biology and History.

Average ECs: volunteering in ER, habitat for humanity, officer positions in cultural clubs.
I'll be getting LORS and DO shadowing done pretty soon.

27 MCAT

PS: 10
VR: 8
BS: 9

I'm not entirely happy with the verbal score, as practice verbal scores were consistently around 10, so I'm still debating whether to retake it or not.

I'll be applying broadly (15+), all DO. I feel that I'm a definite underdog, and will perhaps consider the Carribean as well.
No need to retake the mcat as the previous poster suggest. However, retaking a couple science classes that you got C or lower to bump your sGPA would strengthen your application tremendously.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to retake the mcat as the previous poster suggest. However, retaking a couple science classes that you got C or lower to bump your sGPA would strengthen your application tremendously.
I never said there was a need. I just said I would suggest it to get into a top-tier DO school.

I never said there was a need. I just said I would suggest it to get into a top-tier DO school.

His/her mcat is fine. sGPA, on the other hand, could be improved by retaking some C's. However, the stats. are decent as they are.

OP, DO NOT RETAKE unless you're sure you can score above 30.

Reactions: 1 user
Quit fussing, you're fine. Lots in interviews in your future.

3.4 cGPA 3.2 sGPA with lots of retakes (7). Upward trend the last two semesters.
Double major Biology and History. University of Texas at Austin

Average ECs: volunteering in ER, habitat for humanity, officer positions in cultural clubs.

27 MCAT

I'm not entirely happy with the verbal score, as practice verbal scores were consistently around 10, so I'm still debating whether to retake it or not.

I'll be applying broadly (15+), all DO. I feel that I'm a definite underdog, and will perhaps consider the Carribean as well.

Thanks for all the help and words of encouragement everyone. Any suggestions for schools I should be looking into? I'm assuming TCOM is probably out of my reach since they don't do grade replacement, and my cGPA would be much lower due to that fact.

One more question; I calculated a more updated tally of gpas. cGPA 3.37 and sGPA 3.2. My question is should I go ahead and apply at the beginning of June with these stats (27 MCAT) or should I wait to retake a science class (ends mid July) and retake my MCAT for a 28ish (probably take the exam end of May so scores will be released at the end of June). If I retake and get an A, the new cGPA would be 3.42 and the new sGPA would be 3.28. Or should I submit the application as is and then update it when the new grades and scores come out.

One more question; I calculated a more updated tally of gpas. cGPA 3.37 and sGPA 3.2. My question is should I go ahead and apply at the beginning of June with these stats (27 MCAT) or should I wait to retake a science class (ends mid July) and retake my MCAT for a 28ish (probably take the exam end of May so scores will be released at the end of June). If I retake and get an A, the new cGPA would be 3.42 and the new sGPA would be 3.28. Or should I submit the application as is and then update it when the new grades and scores come out.

Submit immediately, you are already competitive. And no retakes are needed.

Submit with your current satats...You will be competitive with these stats.

Your MCAT is fine; no need for re-takes. The sGPA is below avg, so perhaps some re-takes might be in order if you have any science F/D/C grades. But try one cycle to see how you do, and apply broadly.

3.4 cGPA 3.2 sGPA with lots of retakes (7). Upward trend the last two semesters.
Double major Biology and History. University of Texas at Austin

27 MCAT