WAMC/School List 3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA 499 MCAT URM female military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasspiration

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Will take any guidance as my MCAT score came back very low and ruled out a lot of schools I was looking into. MD/DO please. My advisors are currently advising me to apply still to HBCU schools/ USUHS for MD and they think I have a strong chance even with higher tier DO schools. Any other help is greatly appreciated

cGPA:3.4 and sGPA: 3.1 (Strong upward trend, 3.0 freshman year -> 3.9 senior year)
  1. MCAT score(s): 499
  2. MD resident
  3. URM black female, 24 y/o, firstgen college/medicine
  4. Double major bio/Spanish
  5. Clinical experience
    1. 2500 hr military medic, still in the national guard currently
  6. Research experience
    1. 4000 hr research assistant in cancer research at T5 uni
    2. several poster presentations/big conferences, 1 published abstract, 2 pubs in review (3rd authors)
  7. Shadowing
    1. 16 hr peds formal
    2. Informal (shadowing mil docs all the time in clinical rounds- not sure hours)
  8. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 200 hrs- local hospital/habitat4humanity/etc.
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Military national guard medic-was invited to WH for covid efforts (could not attend though)/some deployments/several awards/leadership
    2. Former VP of black student club, planned several on-campus protests, mentored black freshmen/first gen students
    3. Former president of political science club-went to several conferences
    4. Sorority member/leadership position within our philanthropy
    5. Worked as tutor for college
    6. Certs in EMT/BLS/TCCC
  10. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Distinct Prize award for efforts as Spanish major/honor society in Spanish
    2. Several military awards
  11. Hobbies
    1. Reading/ self improvement vids/cooking/ baking
MD List:

Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
USUHS

DO list:
PCOM (PA)
NOVA (FL)
VCOM (VA)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to out community! Let us know if you have any other questions!

Can you give us a break down of the subscores of the MCAT?

Are you active military? I have to ask if you are eligible for EMDP2:

Your military experience may also help with a slightly broader net, especially if your journey to medicine is of interest to many schools. Have you connected with SNMA or any independent mentoring organizations focused on Blacks in medicine or health care?

I'll let the listmakers also make their calls about likelihood based on your statistics. 499 is right at the threshold line (500-502+) for many screens, so check for any minimums.

I will agree that all HBCU's should be in play unless there's something holding you back. (Yes, that means consider Charles Drew/UCLA.) If you qualified for FAP, you should have a few more to target locally or to military-friendly programs or consider all military applicants as "in-state", especially in states with a strong presence of military personnel. To me this could include:

EVMS (VA), balance with VCOM listing. Norfolk/Virginia Beach = military. READ.
Quillen ETSU (TN), closely associated with their VA hospital) READ.
Campbell DO (NC), especially if you get HPSP READ.

I'll let others chime in with more.

Reactions: 1 user
You could add these MD schools to your application:
Charles Drew (best chance for an interview)
West Virginia
Eastern Virginia
East Tennessee
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU
NOVA MD
Miami
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools add these:
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WVSOM
CUSOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
You should submit your MD application this month with all your secondaries by August.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add these MD schools to your application:
Charles Drew (best chance for an interview)
West Virginia
Eastern Virginia
East Tennessee
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU
NOVA MD
Miami
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools add these:
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WVSOM
CUSOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
You should submit your MD application this month with all your secondaries by August.
Thank you so so much!! Have people with my similar stats had luck at these MD’s? My advisers were very stuck to their stance that I was limited to only the HBCU’s and the military school (of east coast schools)

Thank you so so much!! Have people with my similar stats had luck at these MD’s? My advisers were very stuck to their stance that I was limited to only the HBCU’s and the military school (of east coast schools)
Yes, you could receive interviews at these MD schools. Howard, Meharry, Morehouse and Charles Drew are where your best chances are for an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Welcome to out community! Let us know if you have any other questions!

Can you give us a break down of the subscores of the MCAT?

Are you active military? I have to ask if you are eligible for EMDP2:

Your military experience may also help with a slightly broader net, especially if your journey to medicine is of interest to many schools. Have you connected with SNMA or any independent mentoring organizations focused on Blacks in medicine or health care?

I'll let the listmakers also make their calls about likelihood based on your statistics. 499 is right at the threshold line (500-502+) for many screens, so check for any minimums.

I will agree that all HBCU's should be in play unless there's something holding you back. (Yes, that means consider Charles Drew/UCLA.) If you qualified for FAP, you should have a few more to target locally or to military-friendly programs or consider all military applicants as "in-state", especially in states with a strong presence of military personnel. To me this could include:

EVMS (VA), balance with VCOM listing. Norfolk/Virginia Beach = military. READ.
Quillen ETSU (TN), closely associated with their VA hospital) READ.
Campbell DO (NC), especially if you get HPSP READ.

I'll let others chime in with more.
thank you so so much! I apologize for not being able to respond sooner. (124,126,125,124) is the breakdown. Yes, I’m currently in the military but I am in the guard. I looked up EMPD2 and it sounds great, but it seems out of the scope of what I’m looking for currently. I’m in a black physician/premed Facebook group but not a formal organization such as SNMA. Are you saying that if I don’t qualify for FAP, I shouldn’t look into the programs you listed?

Are you saying that if I don’t qualify for FAP, I shouldn’t look into the programs you listed?
I just wanted to be sure if you qualified for it and thus could have received a lot of help with MCAT prep materials or have a limit on number of schools you could apply for free.

I just wanted to be sure if you qualified for it and thus could have received a lot of help with MCAT prep materials or have a limit on number of schools you could apply for free.
Ah gotcha, thanks so much. No, unfortunately I will have to pay :/ but still really great info. I especially had no idea about Quillen and it’s commitment to the military!

Reactions: 1 users