272 on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW3843

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a dirty rumor that a kid at my school made a 272 on Step 1 this year.
Is that even possible?

By the way, I consider the source pretty reliable, and the guy with the 272 is smart as crap. I just wasn't sure if it was even possible to get that high.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe someone could also explain what the 2 digit / 3 digit scores actually mean as well.

DW3843 said:
I heard a dirty rumor that a kid at my school made a 272 on Step 1 this year.
Is that even possible?

By the way, I consider the source pretty reliable, and the guy with the 272 is smart as crap. I just wasn't sure if it was even possible to get that high.

Pollicis said:
maybe someone could also explain what the 2 digit / 3 digit scores actually mean as well.

from uslme.org

I just received my score report for a computer-delivered Step. Why are there two different scores on the front of the report?

Both scores reflect your overall performance on the examination. The number of test items you answered correctly is converted to two equivalent scores, one on a 3-digit score scale and one on a 2-digit score scale. Both scales are used for score reporting purposes.

What does the 3-digit score mean?
On the 3-digit scale, most scores fall between 140 and 260. The mean score for first-time examinees from accredited medical schools in the United States is in the range of 200 to 220, and the standard deviation is approximately 20. Your score report includes the mean and standard deviation for recent administrations of the Step.

Score information for each Step, including performance data by group, is posted each year for the previous year's examinees:
• Scores and Transcripts Page
^top
What does the 2-digit score mean?
The 2-digit score is not a percentile.The 2-digit score is derived from the 3-digit score. It is used in score reporting to meet requirements of some medical licensing authorities that the passing score be reported as 75. The 2-digit score is derived in such a way that a score of 75 always corresponds to the minimum passing score.

Members don't see this ad :)
5. What is the maximum score?

This is hard information to come by. Theoretically it is 300. Scores above 280 are virtually unheard of. The high score this year for the class of 2006 was 259.

From tulane's website.

erin682 said:
5. What is the maximum score?

This is hard information to come by. Theoretically it is 300. Scores above 280 are virtually unheard of. The high score this year for the class of 2006 was 259.

From tulane's website.
thanks erin

DW3843 said:
I heard a dirty rumor that a kid at my school made a 272 on Step 1 this year. Is that even possible?

If the rumor is true, that's absolutely amazing. BigFrank on here got a 267 and then some dude same Saco busted out with a 269. I never really figured out if that was true or not. Either way, I'd give up my left testicle for any one of these scores (ok, maybe not...).

There were 3 scores > 260 in my class and one 276, so I dont think 270+ scores are all that rare.

what school is this tigershark?

tigershark said:
There were 3 scores > 260 in my class and one 276, so I dont think 270+ scores are all that rare.

"Take my clothes off and call me naked" but that is just crazy! (please don't ask me about the quote).

Do you know what these Step 1 gods plan on going into?

DOCTORSAIB said:
"Take my clothes off and call me naked" but that is just crazy! (please don't ask me about the quote).

Family Medicine...duh

DOCTORSAIB said:

Radiology

I guess I'll chime in. I already posted this on the step II forum, but I made a 279 on Step II. I have never heard of anything in the 280's, but it has to be possible. I am a firm believer that the score is roughly equal to the number of q's you get right minus the experimental. It makes sense.

Oh, and I am going into EM, not derm or rads.

It's the same idea as a 44 on the MCAT...sure it's possible, but the amount of knowledge and luck to do it...

1600 SAT
'67 Shelby GT
45 MCAT
300 Step 1

These are all mythic numbers, unatainable, yet still held out as the carrot on the end of a stick!

My goal ---> Well above average - 80% percentile, I'll be happy :)

DOCTORSAIB said:
If the rumor is true, that's absolutely amazing. BigFrank on here got a 267 and then some dude same Saco busted out with a 269. I never really figured out if that was true or not. Either way, I'd give up my left testicle for any one of these scores (ok, maybe not...).

Its tough living with one testicle,DocS,it effects the walking a bit! :D
You think you could reconsider a score of say 250 to 255, and lead a FULL life instead,please! :D

naveenanirada said:
Its tough living with one testicle,DocS,it effects the walking a bit! :D
You think you could reconsider a score of say 250 to 255, and lead a FULL life instead,please! :D

No seriously, you're right. Life is more than a great score on some standard exam. I'd proudly keep my manhood if it means getting only a 240 or 250. (or a 230...or a 220...)