27M 3.01 sci - applying as disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnysnow7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to know which schools I should apply to based on my numbers. I need to pass that initial GPA and MCAT screening and have the schools read my personal statement to feel who I really am. Thanks for any advice!!

23, female, asian, CA resident, BS in neuro & physio from UCSD
MCAT: 10V 10B 7P M
bio GPA: 3.01
overall: 3.17
non science: 3.42

I also plan to apply as disadvantaged. Please let me know if you need more information to figure out where I stand. And yes, I plan to apply to DO schools as well.

THANKS! :)

Members don't see this ad.

well...i just calculated my AMCAS BCPM (3.01 was AACOMAS) --> not good: 2.87. hahah (in a very cynical way). so i'm going to save myself (and the schools) some time and money and take myself out of the application process. BIG reality check. good luck to everyone else! it was exciting while it lasted. =)

Are you sure that med school is not for you? If so than great but if not why dont you just apply to a few schools. Dont let your GPA and MCAT scores hinder you from becoming a doctor if thats what you really want.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the encouragement. i do want to be a doctor. that's why i'm still gonna apply to DO schools (where my aacomas GPA is a bit higher). just not sure if i can get into any MD schools, not that i really have much of a preference.

thanks for the encouragement. i do want to be a doctor. that's why i'm still gonna apply to DO schools (where my aacomas GPA is a bit higher). just not sure if i can get into any MD schools, not that i really have much of a preference.

hey my GPA is like yours with my AMCAS one being lower than 3.0 (found out after I did the MDapps and havent changed waiting on my transcripts to get done by them) however, dont give up some schools do look past that 3.0 mark and want all types of students,the 3.0 doesnt say everything about the type of doctor you will be or even the type of med student, ya never know someones story until you ask, and if med schools ask then thye might find something that would make you a great doctor, dont give up ever, if thats your dream go for it... apply MD and DO just dont pick ivys that might not work so well...good luck to both of us:)

Its going to be helpful that your AACOMAS is being submitted so soon.

hey my GPA is like yours with my AMCAS one being lower than 3.0 (found out after I did the MDapps and havent changed waiting on my transcripts to get done by them) however, dont give up some schools do look past that 3.0 mark and want all types of students,the 3.0 doesnt say everything about the type of doctor you will be or even the type of med student, ya never know someones story until you ask, and if med schools ask then thye might find something that would make you a great doctor, dont give up ever, if thats your dream go for it... apply MD and DO just dont pick ivys that might not work so well...good luck to both of us:)

thanks! gl to the both of us! how did you decide which schools to apply to? i'm from california, so i don't know how much love i will get here.

Its going to be helpful that your AACOMAS is being submitted so soon.

i don't know if you're talking to me, but i'm just gonna assume so! :D yeah hopefully early submission will help. too bad i won't be submitting until after my finals around the 15th...

Are you sure that med school is not for you? If so than great but if not why dont you just apply to a few schools. Dont let your GPA and MCAT scores hinder you from becoming a doctor if thats what you really want.

I agree with the above to a certain degree: if you want to be a doctor, don't let grades and MCAT scores scare you off. BUT the reality is that with the current application process your stats need major improving for MD schools!!
I would recommend a bost-bac or Special Masters Program to bring up your GPA. These special pre-med/post-bac programs are designed to help students in your situation to improve their GPA and retake the MCAT. It would look really good if you , 1-2 years from now, came out of one of these programs with a major GPA increase and a totally new, and improved, MCAT.

For right now, my advice would be not to apply to any MD schools and save your money to invest it into something that will improve your chances next year.

Having said all that (and sounding like an ass) I do believe that if someone is really passionate about going to medical school, they WILL get in!! It might just take longer...

GOOD LUCK!!

Having said all that (and sounding like an ass) I do believe that if someone is really passionate about going to medical school, they WILL get in!! It might just take longer...

GOOD LUCK!!

:laugh: No, you don't sound like an ass! I am looking into some SMPs right now. I plan to retake the MCAT in September so I can apply in January. However, since SMPs do not change my undergrad GPA, my main fear is that med schools down the line will still opt out to look at me since my GPA is so low. So my biggest dilemma is: go into SMP in 09 and reapply in 09, or do a post bach, then SMP, then reapply? Or do an SMP in 09, reapply in 09, and if I don't get in I can do as post bach to raise my uGPA later on? I do get the consensus that with such a low GPA (even after post bach) I would still need an SMP. HAhha now you all see why I drive myself crazy with so many options!!! I just want to pick the right path.

Just FYI, I was gonna type in all the different paths I can take, then realized no one was gonna read it. Saved you guys some time! :D I just need to stop myself from thinking so far into the future. Take one step at a time (yet it's so hard if you want every year to count). But like everyone says, if I really want it, then all the time invested is well worth it.

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Make sure you are doing something to keep bringing up your gpa throughout the next year. Your stats are alright for osteopathic but they wont guarantee an acceptance. Make sure you apply to more than a couple DO schools. Im assuming you want to stay out west?