Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to look over this. I’m looking for some realistic school suggestions for this upcoming cycle. My stats are a bit of a rollercoaster, so I want to provide the context behind the numbers first.
I escaped a violent conflict in my home country, and I ended up living as a refugee in Egypt for three years. I had zero access to education during this time. When my family finally secured entry to the US, I entered high school with a significant language barrier and massive gaps in my foundational knowledge. I had very little guidance at this stage; I didn’t even know what the college process was like lol. I was a clueless mess.
Even at CC level, I struggled. My father, who was the sole income provider, experienced a back injury that prevented him from working, and as the eldest, I had to step up and work odd hours to keep us afloat. This destroyed my transcript. I have so many withdraws (like 12) on my transcript because I could not handle work and school at the same time.
Thinking back, I definitely could’ve worked harder to get better grades and make something for myself. It took me a while to mature and get out of my loser mindset, realizing that although what happened to me in my formative years sucked, I now have control over what happens now. In my last three terms of undergrad, I had a huge upward trend. I aced my master’s program and I also did a 32 credit postbacc to complete my pre-reqs, finishing with a 4.0.
Now that we’ve gotten my sob story out of the way, let’s get to my stats:
Please give me a realistic list of schools that would be willing to show some love to me.
I escaped a violent conflict in my home country, and I ended up living as a refugee in Egypt for three years. I had zero access to education during this time. When my family finally secured entry to the US, I entered high school with a significant language barrier and massive gaps in my foundational knowledge. I had very little guidance at this stage; I didn’t even know what the college process was like lol. I was a clueless mess.
Even at CC level, I struggled. My father, who was the sole income provider, experienced a back injury that prevented him from working, and as the eldest, I had to step up and work odd hours to keep us afloat. This destroyed my transcript. I have so many withdraws (like 12) on my transcript because I could not handle work and school at the same time.
Thinking back, I definitely could’ve worked harder to get better grades and make something for myself. It took me a while to mature and get out of my loser mindset, realizing that although what happened to me in my formative years sucked, I now have control over what happens now. In my last three terms of undergrad, I had a huge upward trend. I aced my master’s program and I also did a 32 credit postbacc to complete my pre-reqs, finishing with a 4.0.
Now that we’ve gotten my sob story out of the way, let’s get to my stats:
- Demographics: 29M, AZ Resident, ORM? (I'm Syrian)
- cGPA: 3.4 (graduated 2020).
- sGPA: 3.5.
- Master’s GPA (Not an SMP): 3.9.
- Postbacc GPA: 4.0 (at a CC).
- MCAT: Taking in June. I know applying before the score is in is risky, but I’m not getting any younger and I have to shoot my shot.
- Healthcare IT (4,000+ hours): Worked nationwide training physicians on EMRs and IT solutions. This gave me indirect shadowing experience as I often accompanied older docs into the exam room to help them navigate through the newly implemented system.
- Hospice Volunteer (300 hours): Served as a companion for patients battling dementia. Still doing this today.
- ESL Teaching (200 hours): Taught English to refugees through a church program during undergrad.
- 100 hours shadowing a Cardiologist.
- 50 hours providing meals for the homeless.
- Clinical Work: None. I really tried finding a side gig to gain more clinical exposure, but my schedule was extremely restrictive due to working full time and going to school.
Please give me a realistic list of schools that would be willing to show some love to me.
Last edited: