28 good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HydroxylGroupOH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 28 (9v 9p 10b)from last april; registered for the August 2004. I just took AMCAS 6 and got a 24 (9v 7p 8b) with a month left of studying. Should I keep on truckin' to get that score up to a 30 or should I keep the 28?

How much can I improve with a month left?

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno but I hear with a 28 and a good gpa you'll definaly be wait listed if you don't get in right away depending upon where you apply/ I have a couple of friends that this has happened to this past year. Good luck what ever you decide.:)

I was told NOT to take the test again unless you think you will improve by 3 points or more. Your score is solid, with no section worse than a 9. It's not going to get you noticed, but it shouldn't blow you up either (at most schools). If you're strong in other areas, I would imagine that you will get in somewhere. Your chances at a top-10 school aren't great, but if it's your dream to attend one of them apply and hope that you can charm them in your interview.

Plus, if you go DOWN in score on your second MCAT, you are toast. Seems like there is more downside than upside. I doubt that getting a 30 instead of a 28 will make that much of a difference, given your score distribution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tippy007 said:
I was told NOT to take the test again unless you think you will improve by 3 points or more. Your score is solid, with no section worse than a 9. It's not going to get you noticed, but it shouldn't blow you up either (at most schools). If you're strong in other areas, I would imagine that you will get in somewhere. Your chances at a top-10 school aren't great, but if it's your dream to attend one of them apply and hope that you can charm them in your interview.

Yeah, I mean it depends on how comfortable you are going into the August MCAT. There is a huge downside, but if you are set on going to a top school and you are committed to studying, then there might also be a huge upside. I think this has got to be your call...

I am in the exact same boat as you... April 2003 test taker, scored a 28 (9B, 9P, 10V)... but I plan on taking the test again this August. I don't know how much you studied for the first exam, but as for me, I took one practice test (scored pretty much the same thing as the real MCAT) the day before the exam, and rolled on out to take it the next day. I didn't study, I didn't mentally prepare... I didn't really even concentrate that hard towards the end, so with some studying I'm pretty sure I can do better. If that is sort of what happened to you, I'd say go for it. If you feel like you're going to bomb, you could always cancel your scores afterward.

Sev

If your GPA/BCPM GPA is 3.7 or up I would say there is no reason to retake. And even if it's below that it's definitely not worth risking getting a lower score. I probably wouldn't retake unless you can get a 33 on a practice test.

DrTacoElf said:
i had a 28

11 bio
10 phys
7 verbal
3.795 GPA

got 5 interviews, and was waitlisted at 3

Got in nowhere.

Sorry to hear that. Did any schools tell you exactly why?

i know people who have gotten into their state schools with 28s even without totally stellar gpa's. however, it all depends on the selectivity of your state school. we should all just move to states with easy admission processes, so we wouldn't have to stress about this cr@p.