28 MCAT... chance at Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning on submitting my AMCAS on the first day, June 1, but my MCAT score has got me feeling a bit down. I scored a 28 (PS 8, V 10, BS 10). I don't know what happened with PS, but I know a lot of schools are going to screen me out for that.
My composit GPA is 3.89 and my science GPA is 3.8.
These are my ECs:
-150 volunteering hours, both in hospitals and abroad (Central America)
-Vice President of an honors society
-Leadership in various organizations
-Tutoring job
-Resident Advisor
-Research for 2 years

I feel like everything else on my app is fairly competitive, except the MCAT (which is horrible, I know). At this point, I've decided to just apply early and not re-take. Well, what I really want to know is if I have any chance at Loma Linda? I was raised in an SDA church and have been an off and on follower of the church since I was 8 years old. Will LLU even be willing to take my score that low?

Members don't see this ad.

30 seems to really open doors. My experience with a 29 was no chance at all.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get acceptances anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just retake the mcat during may or june? I think you would have better chances even though you will be a little bit late?

Why not just retake the mcat during may or june? I think you would have better chances even though you will be a little bit late?

I don't feel confident enough that I could score (substantially) better if I were to take it in 1-2 months from now. I figured my best chances would just be to apply early.

Does anyone suggest other schools that I may have a chance in? I feel like out of everything, my only flaw is in that PS 8 on the MCAT.

Your chances at Loma Linda depend largely on your religion. Are you Seventh-Day Adventist? If not, then your chances are fairly slim. If so, then your score may be good enough to get in.

I have a 3.98 GPA and a 31T on the MCAT and never received so much as a phone call from them.

If you don't think you're going to make it in, though, don't bother filling out their secondary application. They are one of those schools that charge the secondary application fee without even seeing if you are someone they would even want.

Good luck!

u are perfect for loma linda if u have a 3.9 gpa and a 28 mcat and ur SDA. I think the avg. student at loma linda probably have a 3.6 gpa and 30-31 mcat. so your stellar GPA can offset the 2 points lower than the AVERAGE for the class.

plus, if ur SDA, ur stats can be lower since it's their goal to admit SDA followers. more than half of the class are SDA.

i know a lot of non-SDAs that applied with good stats that didnt receive any interviews and love from loma linda because they were non-christians.

My friend had a similar GPA and lower MCAT (27) and got into LLU last cycle. She was SDA.

YES I think you have a good chance of getting in... our class had an average MCAT of like 31 and GPA of 3.7. So you are sitting pretty with that stellar GPA.

Apply early, stress your volunteer/mission experience at the interview and list yourself as SDA and you have a good shot.

Also, there is not a big advantage to applying to LLU early. You're still going to be interviewed after many of the SDA applicants. I say retake the MCAT and get a better score.

Also, there is not a big advantage to applying to LLU early. You're still going to be interviewed after many of the SDA applicants. I say retake the MCAT and get a better score.

But I am SDA... Isn't LLU rolling admissions? Well regardless, I'm submitting everything ASAP.

I had a 3.75 GPA and a 27O MCAT score, and I got in. But I am SDA.

If I got in, I think anyone can get in!

You will be fine :)! I had comparable stats and got into my top choice that has a much higher average then my MCAT score..they look at your entire app!

You will be fine :)! I had comparable stats and got into my top choice that has a much higher average then my MCAT score..they look at your entire app!

Thanks, it's nice to see someone say that. :)