Chance at any DO's 3.45 SMP, 3.0cGPA, 2.7sGPA and 510 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(May have posted twice because I think my other post wasnt visible)

Please be honest any DO schools at any 1 would I have a chance? I hope to apply next cycle and have 2 teachers from my SMP willing to write my letter of recs as well if that helps.

So Undergrad was rough but my last 45 credits I finished with a 3.75 GPA, and last 60 credits I was at 3.55. But of course my GPA overall is less than stellar with the 3.0 cumulative and 2.7 science, fast forward a year later I did an SMP struggled the first semester (All B's, then the next 2 semesters I finished with a 3.82 GPA (1 year SMP, 42 credits total). I finished with a 3.45 GPA so had an upward trend but would have liked to have much higher.

My MCAT score was a 510 should I retake this?
129/124(cars)/130/127

Shadowing: 385 shadowing 2 DO's, and an MD

Volunteering: 457 hours food drive (200 non-clinical), and at hospital

Worked as a lab tech for a year.

Club: Part of my undergrads medical club

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances are good. Do not retake the MCAT. It is a solid score.

Reactions: 1 user
I think your chances are good. Do not retake the MCAT. It is a solid score.
Thank you but my undergrad gpa isnt stellar, my SMP GPA is ok because of the upward trend same with undergrad but especially ungrad I feel I need to improve upon something to have a chance before I apply. I've taken practice tests but the max I've been getting is a 509, even on the real thing I was surprised I got a 510 but I dont think I can break that score even though I do feel I need to take it again and get at least a 512-514 if I want a chance at any DO's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you but my undergrad gpa isnt stellar, my SMP GPA is ok because of the upward trend same with undergrad but especially ungrad I feel I need to improve upon something to have a chance before I apply. I've taken practice tests but the max I've been getting is a 509, even on the real thing I was surprised I got a 510 but I dont think I can break that score even though I do feel I need to take it again and get at least a 512-514 if I want a chance at any DO's.
Well, your SMP GPA shows an upward trend. I doubt retaking the MCAT will be very helpful. You may even get a lower score, which will make the situation worse. Retaking only makes sense if you can get a 515+ and even then I think the value added is meniscal. Apply broadly to DO schools and I think you will be fine.

Well, your SMP GPA shows an upward trend. I doubt retaking the MCAT will be very helpful. You may even get a lower score, which will make the situation worse. Retaking only makes sense if you can get a 515+ and even then I think the value added is meniscal. Apply broadly to DO schools and I think you will be fine.
You make a good point. I dont really feel confident in taking it again either so that makes sense but In terms of grades and scores I am not sure what else to improve upon. I can get more hours volunteering and shadowing but other than that I hope this is enough for any DO school and yes I will apply broadly. Im in the southeast if that helps but location doesnt really matter to me as long as its one acceptance.

Also the SMP is ok because of the upward trend but I would have liked to get above a 3.5 so that is what is holding be back also despite how I finished it strong.

Why would you repeat an MCAT score in the 85 %tile? Many retakes come out lower. How would that look on your app? Grades are OK to be competitive. Agree with applying broadly, and I would rank established schools over newer ones. The ones that have had at least 4 yrs of graduating classes. Work on your school list and interview skills. If you get an interview, shine.

Why would you repeat an MCAT score in the 85 %tile? Many retakes come out lower. How would that look on your app? Grades are OK to be competitive. Agree with applying broadly, and I would rank established schools over newer ones. The ones that have had at least 4 yrs of graduating classes. Work on your school list and interview skills. If you get an interview, shine.
Thank you for the response. I only suggested retaking the MCAT because its the only thing I can actually improve upon in terms of grades. While I do have an upward trend the GPA especially cGPA, and sGPA are less than Ideal. The SMP GPA was a major improvement at 3.45 but I feel I am better than that after getting all B's in my first semester there I finished really well. I'll make a school list for the next cycle and work on my interview skills but I am worried about my grades/MCAT I wish there was something I could do to improve upon them.

I'm not sure a 512 will help that much, but a 505 will hurt your chances more than a 512 will help. Don't overthink this. My 2 cents. Good luck and best wishes!

Locking this thread as it has been posted elsewhere already:

Status
Not open for further replies.