28 Y/O considering med school, very new, advice appreciated (Long!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mousejunkie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've spent a few days reading this forum to answer my basic questions and I felt it was finally time to ask people's opinions on my specific situation. I would say I'm non traditional even for a non traditional student, and my story is somewhat unique. Medical school has never been something I considered until the past several months. I have been lucky to come from a family that has been mostly untouched by all but the most common ailments. However, a month before my son was due at the beginning of this year, we went from everything being "perfect" to being sent up to MFM and delivering two weeks early because they thought there was something wrong with him. We are still on the roller coaster. He is nine months old now and is currently undiagnosed. He either has something extraordinarily rare (he sees a very good geneticist and she is still at a loss) or something that has never been seen before at all. I've spent countless hours educating myself and poring over medical journals, looking for research projects and clinical trials to enroll him in, and many more hours wondering what I can do to prevent other families in the future from feeling this helplessness and just not knowing what's wrong. It's heartbreaking. I know I can't fix my child. But if I could stop families in the future from having to go through this uncertainty, or even be able to provide an empathetic ear to families that ARE going through it...I want to do that. But I'm also scared I don't have the background, don't have the grades, wouldn't be able to become financially stable even with a doctor's salary (currently I would want to focus on specializing in genetics by way of pediatrics and I know they are one of the lowest paid specialties), that I'm too old, etc. Here are my stats and my questions:

I'm 28, married, and have one child obviously. Graduated from college (Texas A&M) a semester early in December 2010 with a degree in English. Unimpressive GPA, somewhere a hair over a 3.0. My science classes were minimal but I know I didn't do great in them. I definitely fit the "smart kid in high school goes to college, doesn't know how to study, and just bumbles along and gets by" stereotype. I would need to take all the science prerequisites, and as I am a Texas resident, I think Academic Fresh Start might be my best option? By Fall of 2018 I would be able to get rid of my freshman grades which is when most of my science classes were taken. Since my current undergrad GPA is so low, would I be better off enrolling in somewhere like UT Dallas for prerequisites or would community college be good enough if I aced everything? I'm just thinking about cost on that end. But I've also read most community colleges in the Dallas area are a real bear to work with when it comes to fresh start rules? If I waited until Fall 2018 to enroll in order to drop my freshman classes via fresh start, what should I do until then? Khan Academy videos? Bare bones MCAT study? (I am a really good test taker so once I learn things that are on the MCAT I predict I will do pretty well on it, all things considered...that is one thing I have going for me.) Also, I am a registered Native American. I have seen lots of controversy over that subject on this board, so here is my background on that. I've marked Native American on every standardized test or doctors form or whatever for my entire life. I am listed on the tribal rolls. I can talk about the general history of my tribe and tell you exactly what family member I am descended from. However, we are a very small tribe and I have never lived in the state we are based in, so as far as being involved in the community or volunteering, not so much. I am not poor and did not grow up on a reservation, though I am very cognizant and aware of other Native Americans who do, and their struggles in life. We got to the tribal festivals some summers, when it works with our schedule, and I have been voting via absentee ballot for our tribal leaders since I turned 18. I know there is an IHS clinic near where I live and while I would love to talk about that in my PS, at this point my focus is on genetics because of my son, so I think the chances of my working for an IHS system are slim unless there is some genetics/IHS hybrid career or residency I am unaware of. If I was asked about my ethnicity in an interview those are the things I could talk about...but anything SUPER in depth I wouldn't know.

Sorry this is so long, I'm extremely verbose. If anyone has suggestions or questions, please share them with me. I am just testing the waters at this point but I want to make sure I have all my bases covered before we make a decision as a family.

TL;DR: 28, no medical or science background at all, had a very sick baby nine months ago, now considering med school to specialize in genetics and help other people like him and their families. Wondering about prerequisites at CC versus university, my Native American heritage, and what to study before I started taking prerequisite classes in Fall 2018.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you want to pursue medicine in order to have a deeper understanding of genetics and use your influence as a physician to someday provide comfort to families in a similar situation as yours.

That’s very noble. The clinical route/physicianhood is not the only path to achieving your goals however. As someone who hadn’t considered med school til a few months ago, I think you need to really understand what you’d be getting yourself into. Have you also considered going into research, leading a support group for families with similar experiences, etc?

I started my prereqs in my late 20s and now I’m 33. It’s not impossible, but it’s a hard road.

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like you want to pursue medicine in order to have a deeper understanding of genetics and use your influence as a physician to someday provide comfort to families in a similar situation as yours.

That’s very noble. The clinical route/physicianhood is not the only path to achieving your goals however. As someone who hadn’t considered med school til a few months ago, I think you need to really understand what you’d be getting yourself into. Have you also considered going into research, leading a support group for families with similar experiences, etc?

I started my prereqs in my late 20s and now I’m 33. It’s not impossible, but it’s a hard road.

Thanks for the response! I am definitely wanting to consider any route possible, so here is my reasoning so far. Luckily my husband works in a field related to medicine and considered med school himself years ago, so I feel I do know more about lesser known professions (CRNA, etc) than some people. What I like about an MD with a genetics speciality is the ability to work in both a research and clinical setting. I adore my son's genetic counselor and she is amazing and obviously has a great clinical reach, but she doesn't really touch much on the research side (whereas my son's geneticist has her own ongoing research projects she leads). On the other side of that, a PhD in genetics would be mostly research with very few (if any?) clinical opportunities. Do you think there are other routes that would have a good mix of clinic and research opportunities? I have struggled with finding much info about careers in genetics past the most common things.

I really want to go in with eyes wide open and know what I'm getting myself into. I would hate to spend the time and money on prerequisites and then have no chance of actually getting accepted anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should continue to research/ find the exact career you want to chase. Also some rare MD/PhD specialty might be difficult to find yourself in but you can certainly get into medical school and treat those in need.

I can relate to your situation having a young person in my family with a genetic disease. Similar circumstances motivated me to pursue medicine. I commend your strength and drive to gain understanding and make things better for others. You seem to be thinking things through thoroughly as well.

Being a physician would be the most direct way to achieve your goals. It’s doable with the DO path but if you want to focus heavily on research, MD schools would provide far more opportunities.

If your SO/family supports the dream, and you can make things work while caring for your little one, I would take a couple prereqs just to see how you fit with the sciences (GBio, GChem etc).

OP, have you considered becoming a genetic counselor? If you're interested in working with families who are dealing with issues relating to genetic disease, then that's a path you should definitely consider.

From National Society of Genetic Counselors website:

Who are Genetic Counselors?
Genetic counselors are professionals who have specialized education in genetics and counseling to provide personalized help patients may need as they make decisions about their genetic health. Today, there are more than 4,000 certified genetic counselors.
Genetic counselors have advanced training in medical genetics and counseling to interpret genetic test results, and to guide and support patients seeking more information about such things as:
  • How inherited diseases and conditions might affect them or their families.
  • How family and medical histories may impact the chance of disease occurrence or recurrence.
  • Which genetic tests may or may not be right for them, and what those tests may or may not tell.
  • How to make the most informed choices about healthcare conditions.
Most genetic counselors work in a clinic or hospital, and often work with obstetricians, oncologists and other doctors. Like doctors, genetic counselors can work in a variety of settings and provide different services. They may provide general care, or specialize in one or more areas, including:
  • Prenatal and Preconception – for women who are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant
  • Pediatric – for children and their family members
  • Cancer – for patients with cancer and their family members
  • Cardiovascular – for patients with diseases of the heart or circulatory system and their family members
  • Neurology – for patients with diseases of the brain and nervous system and their family members.
  • And more
Additionally, some genetic counselors focus on research, including collecting information such as detailed family histories and pregnancy information, that helps researchers and advances care for people with genetic conditions.

OP, have you considered becoming a genetic counselor? If you're interested in working with families who are dealing with issues relating to genetic disease, then that's a path you should definitely consider.

From National Society of Genetic Counselors website:

Thanks for the response! I have looked into genetic counseling, and it's still on my radar to a degree, but what I like about MD genetics is they spend time in clinic and are able to drive research. As far as I know GCs are basically solely clinic based while PhDs are almost al research. I haven't been able to find another career that has a mix of clinic and research. From what I can tell most MD geneticists work at teaching hospitals and either have their own research or work on projects with others.

I'd start with the pre-reqs, MCAT, and getting accepted before you worry about any eventual destinations.

You seem to have had a similar undergrad experience as I did ("smart kid in high school goes to college, doesn't know how to study, and just bumbles along and gets by" was exactly me lol.) I graduated in 2009 with a GPA of about 3.1. I completed a masters in biology in 2013 with a 3.9 and had a failed application season shortly after. My overall GPA was about 3.3ish. I reapplied this year after improving my MCAT (totally recommend Khan Academy BTW) and adding a few EC's that definitely added value to my application. I've had 3 interview invites so far (all DO) and 1 acceptance, so it is completely do-able! I'm also 29, will be 30 when I matriculate. :dead:

Where we differ is our choice of undergrad major. I was a science major and of course had all the prereq's already. BUT some were pretty low (C's in physics 1 & ochem 1, some B's elsewhere, a few A's). I am also from Texas and considered Academic Fresh Start briefly since my prereq's are just about 10 years old at this point, but I believe I read that Fresh Start in Texas basically would only count for Texas medical schools. Anywhere else would still combine ALL of your grades, including from back in the day. Don't quote me on that though, just what I remember from my research.

My advice: if this is truly what you want to do, take the prereq's where ever, take the MCAT, and DEFINITELY get some actual shadowing or direct patient work experience. Having the prereq's fresh on your mind when you study for & take the MCAT will also help out a ton. Your previously low GPA can be overcome with an otherwise well rounded and impressive application. You simply have to be able to show them that this is where you belong!

I suffered from the "I'm not good enough to be a doctor" phase for a loooong time. 1st gen college student here, from high school considered "educationally disadvantaged" and lower-middle class family, low undergrad GPA & MCAT, improved my app over about 2 years, and will be attending med school next year. Feel free to PM me if there's anything else I could answer for you based on my experience!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the response! I have looked into genetic counseling, and it's still on my radar to a degree, but what I like about MD genetics is they spend time in clinic and are able to drive research. As far as I know GCs are basically solely clinic based while PhDs are almost al research. I haven't been able to find another career that has a mix of clinic and research. From what I can tell most MD geneticists work at teaching hospitals and either have their own research or work on projects with others.

To be fair, it is quite common for genetic counselors to participate in research projects.

Again quoting the NSGC website:
Many genetic counseling positions involve the opportunity to participate in research. Genetic counselors are trained in gathering information that is very helpful to researchers, like detailed family histories, pregnancy information, etc. Genetic counselors also have unique access to and relationships with special populations of individuals that may be of great interest to the research community. By participating in a team of researchers, a genetic counselor brings his or her valuable, patient-centered perspective and expertise, all while furthering the advances in the care of individuals affected by genetic conditions.

There's actually a whole book devoted to the subject of conducting clinical research in genetic counseling (published in 2014 by OUP).

---

Here's the thing: Even if you did everything perfectly from this point on, it would probably take you over a decade to repair your GPA/boost your credentials, get into an MD program, and then do a 2+2 residency in Peds/Medical Genetics. Medical Geneticists don't generally command high salaries ($125-150K), and you'd probably have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Also, there is age discrimination in academic research; it's tough for late-bloomers to get involved. Would you be okay with becoming a doctor in your early 40s with dubious research prospects and a difficult financial situation?

I obviously don't mean to discourage you. Regardless of the path you ultimately choose, make sure you collect all the facts and weigh the pros and cons.

Last edited: