2nd bach vs post-bacc program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butters149

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just registered for a 2nd bach and a post-bacc program here at csula, since its the closest 4 year univ for me. The person in the post-bacc dept. told me they only accept 10 students, and most have sciences courses in their transcripts which are highly looked at.

So is going the 2nd bach route still effective? I will only be completing the pre-reqs for the MCAT and not actually finishing the 2nd bach.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but as long as you're completing the pre-reqs and you're making the grade then it's going to be effective. Of course, you must take into consideration your current cGPA and bcmpGPA, as well as your future MCAT score to know what your chances will be with medical schools.

I don't know anything about CSULA, but I would assume that the difference between DYI and a structured post-bacc program is the amount of support you receive from the faculty, and at some places you are given the opportunity to link. Of course, the former isn't necessarily lost on a DYI but the latter is.

Hi,

I have just registered for a 2nd bach and a post-bacc program here at csula, since its the closest 4 year univ for me. The person in the post-bacc dept. told me they only accept 10 students, and most have sciences courses in their transcripts which are highly looked at.

So is going the 2nd bach route still effective? I will only be completing the pre-reqs for the MCAT and not actually finishing the 2nd bach.

Do you mean you've registered as a degree-seeking student, in pursuit of a second bachelor's degree? The reason you would do this is if your GPA was poor enough that you needed a whole new 4-year degree to counteract it.

If that situation does not describe you, and CSULA is a state school, why not just sign on as a non-degree seeking student and take the classes? And do you mean you've applied to a formal postbac program at this institution? Wait until you find out if you're in before you make any decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually on the application website the option I see best fit is if I signed up as a 2nd bach student, seeking a degree in Bio, so I will be considered getting a BS in Bio. No other choices came to my mind. This will allow me to just take the pre-reqs I need, is this an alternative to a formal post-bacc program? Which one is better?

The advantage of being a second degree candidate is better registration priority and financial aide.

However, since you're only looking to take the pre-reqs, it really doesn't matter. You should have no problem enrolling in those courses.