Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

2nd BS or Masters?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rvm, Feb 20, 2007.

1. rvm

rvm

Pre-Medical
    hello to everyone:D ,

I am in a situation and would just like to get guidance of some sort.

I will be graduating this year with a BA in Economics.
    My GPA is low and my science GPA is nowhere near competitive.
    I have yet to take the MCAT, that's another story. Basically what worries me is the GPA

My question is what would benefit me a second BS (biology)or a master's degree?

I know for a fact that as of right now my chances of getting in are low but I want to get on the right path.... any input would be greatly appreciated:cool: .

2. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Neither, do an SMP.

3. bbabul01

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A bachelors is a bachelors is a bachelors. Get a master if you want to advance your education, make grade counts, or fix your GPA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. samgeez

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what would your MS degree be in? Also, how many courses would you be taking if you did the BS or the MS?

I would recommend an MS but dont get below a 3.8 (it is expected that grad students get at least a B in their classes) for it to be benificial. If your masters is in a science and you would be doing research, that would also be a big help.

The best thing you can do now is get a high MCAT score. Getting a 35+ can make up for a low GPA, especially if your low grades were only at the begining of your undergrad years.

5. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Depends what you mean by low GPA. If your science GPA or overall GPA is below a 3.2 I would suggest you do a post-bac with upper level biology classes for the next year. If not, then do a regular masters program if you have a desire to pursue research. If not research, then do a SMP. It also heavily depends on what state you are a resident of.

6. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Do not get a masters if you want "fix your GPA," as one poster mentioned. Your grades from graduate school do not count toward your GPA and, to some admissions committees, hold little weight in the admissions process. Going the post-bac route (and not necessarily seeking a second BS) is the only way to boost your GPA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...