2nd semester: Genetics or Core Bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadesque

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the two. Genetics you can all guess what it will cover, Core Bio covers cellular structure and function more in depth, principles of biology, and then lab. I don't think the Genetics class has a lab o_O.

From reviews, it sounds like the instructors for Core Bio are hard asses with nit picky grading. But the class seems to be aimed at bio majors so I feel compelled to take it. I feel like Genetics could be held off until later but not sure.

Thoughts?

Ewww just looked at the schedule. 2-3:30 on tues/thurs. That's fine. But lab is right after lecture on thursday from 4-7. So it's like a 5 hour class.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters either way, and I don't see it necessary for you to bust your ass working hard while taking a lab (especially if you're not a biology major). So genetics seems like your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked genetics (and biochemistry). If given the choice to lighten your load next semester, I would take Genetics. You'll have to take the second semester of Core Biology anyways to meet pre-req's, but if you have the opportunity to slip in the additional genetics class now, it would be worth it.

Genetics does sound more interesting to me than Core Bio, but I talked to my current bio professor and she said that since I'm a bio major that Core Bio would be a good class to take. It definitely sounds more difficult than Genetics so even if I don't take it now then I'll have to take it down the road when I have to take other hard classes, like o-chem and calc....AH I signed up for both of them just in case the spots fill up, but I need to drop one of them soon.

Genetics does sound more interesting to me than Core Bio, but I talked to my current bio professor and she said that since I'm a bio major that Core Bio would be a good class to take. It definitely sounds more difficult than Genetics so even if I don't take it now then I'll have to take it down the road when I have to take other hard classes, like o-chem and calc....AH I signed up for both of them just in case the spots fill up, but I need to drop one of them soon.

Agreed. I didn't take Core Bio myself (as a minor), and it's been very tough to find upper level Bio classes to take that don't require it. So if you plan to take upper level Bio, then you'll need it.

Genetics. Core bio sounds like cell bio?

I don't think Core Bio and Cell Bio are the same. Cell bio is an upper level biology class focused just on cellular metabolism and membrane chemistry/processes. The Core Bio the OP is referring to (I think) is the second half of the basic 1-yr biology sequence.

I don't think Core Bio and Cell Bio are the same. Cell bio is an upper level biology class focused just on cellular metabolism and membrane chemistry/processes. The Core Bio the OP is referring to (I think) is the second half of the basic 1-yr biology sequence.

Hmm... definitely depends on the school you attend. I agree with Bacchus, it sounds like the Cell Bio (which is also the first of the 3 core bio classes) offered at my school.

Yes. I'm taking 1st semester Gen Bio right now and according to my prof., Core Bio should be the next class to take which means it's probably the 2nd semester course of it. I'm just not completely sold on it yet though, the timing is horrible (there was a better timing class but it filled up). However I guess I could take Genetics now and then Core Bio next year.

Yeah, that does sound like cell bio to me. The second semester of biology for me was DNA replication, population genetics, and ecology, etc.

Core bio sounds like...it's a core class, so that should be like a prereq? If not, I'd still take that before genetics, especially if you might need that to do better in genetics. Yes, you might hate the lab, but everyone goes through that. If it makes you feel better, we rarely took the whole three hours for the lab :/

And we had a genetics lab...where we worked with flies and mating crosses and some random lab techniques like PCR and chromatography.

Yeah, that does sound like cell bio to me. The second semester of biology for me was DNA replication, population genetics, and ecology, etc.

Core bio sounds like...it's a core class, so that should be like a prereq? If not, I'd still take that before genetics, especially if you might need that to do better in genetics. Yes, you might hate the lab, but everyone goes through that. If it makes you feel better, we rarely took the whole three hours for the lab :/

And we had a genetics lab...where we worked with flies and mating crosses and some random lab techniques like PCR and chromatography.

Yep. Since you're a bio major, you're going to have to take cell bio anyway. Go ahead and take it now, since you'll have to take it eventually. Plus it'll open you're opportunities for upper-level classes sooner rather than later.

It does sound like a pre-req but I'm looking at the classes catalog and the only other bio classes that require Core Bio as a pre-req are: Vertebrate Zoology and Populations Bilogy, 2 classes I'd probably never take.

Also this Genetics class seems fishy, it seems more like an Introduction class. Is that standard or is there something higher than that? (kind of like how you have Gen Chem but also have an Intro to Chem class)

It does sound like a pre-req but I'm looking at the classes catalog and the only other bio classes that require Core Bio as a pre-req are: Vertebrate Zoology and Populations Bilogy, 2 classes I'd probably never take.

Also this Genetics class seems fishy, it seems more like an Introduction class. Is that standard or is there something higher than that? (kind of like how you have Gen Chem but also have an Intro to Chem class)

That's weird :/ Have you spoken to other people at your university for advice? Sure, your advisor says one thing, but what do you peers say?

There isn't a higher genetics class for our university. Genetics is it. I'm taking it right now, and it seems like we're doing sort of a General Genetics. My university doesn't have a general chemistry and intro to chem class. If they do, I think one is for non-science majors. If you want to link us to your school's course catalogue, maybe we can help more?

The genetics class I took was a "general" class, but was a pre-req for the higher level genetics courses. I think this will be true for most universities, but then again, we need to see the course listing for your school to be more certain. Regardless, even though SDN offers a lot of useful information, the most accurate course descriptions would come from your advisor or science department.

With respect to the need to take the second half of Core Biology prior to geentics, I I don't think is necessary. You don't get enough genetics in the Core biology to really do you any good in genetics classes. You'll get everything you need in the actual course itself - I find this to be true for nearly all classes that have a pre-req. Like 99% of all pre-meds, you're probably a self-learner and you'll do just fine if you're studious and keep up with the informaiton in the lectures. Good luck.