2nd tier gas progs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone here throw me a bone and name a couple of 2nd tier anesthesia programs on east coast and midwest. thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a motivated student, and I def want to get in SOMEWHERE (better than scrambling into ob/gyn).

Members don't see this ad :)
mjoo said:
I am not a motivated student, and I def want to get in SOMEWHERE (better than scrambling into ob/gyn).

Please pick another specialty, preferrably one where your lack of motivation and preparation will not result in the immediate injury to or death of your patient. It is in your best interest and in your future patients' best interests that you are seeing them in some other capacity.

Well said UT. You're going to have to move serious tail in anes residency to become competent early and throughout. Slackers manifest readily and you will end up hurting someone with that attitude. Question is will it be reversible or will it be catastrophic.

VentdependenT said:
Well said UT. You're going to have to move serious tail in anes residency to become competent early and throughout. Slackers manifest readily and you will end up hurting someone with that attitude. Question is will it be reversible or will it be catastrophic.

Vent speaks from experience. :D

You folks are taking me wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy too literally. I want second tier 'cause my grades dont cut it for first, plus I know where I stand. I am not interested in interviewing at a million places either. So will someone please give me names of a few decent univ programs? Or maybe comment on those I have been considering Maryland, Rochester, Pittsburg.
Also, how are U.Chicago and Northwestern?

mjoo said:
You folks are taking me wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy too literally. I want second tier 'cause my grades dont cut it for first, plus I know where I stand. I am not interested in interviewing at a million places either. So will someone please give me names of a few decent univ programs? Or maybe comment on those I have been considering Maryland, Rochester, Pittsburg.
Also, how are U.Chicago and Northwestern?

Maryland maybe.

DEFINITELY not Pittsburgh. It's a first tier program from what I hear.

Don't know about Rochester.

West Virginnie???

Dude,
You said, you're not a "motivated" student......

Don't know Maryland much, but U Rochester, Pittsburgh, U.Chicago and Northwestern are more 'first tier' programs. Of course this all depends on where your first tier ends, but they are very strong, solid places. In similar locales, some 'second tier' programs might be: SUNY Upstate, Mercy Hosp. in Pittsburgh, Illinois-Masonic, Loyola, UIC.

The only way to tell if you're competitive at competitive places is to apply though. If you want, say Chicago, apply to all of the programs and see where you get interviews at. If U-Chicago and Northwestern don't offer, then take UIC and Loyola. Both great places, but without the national reputation. Don't forget Rush either, probably above Loyola in terms of competitiveness.