2nd time Mcat takers(April 02)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pokuaa

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any second time MCAT takers this april? what are you doing different? Are you feeling confident right about NOW?I took the MCAT last april and didn't do as well as I had hoped and I am scared ****less coz you can never feel totally prepared for that darn TEST? I 'm doing a review of the physical and biological sciences and hitting on the practice exams starting 15th Feb. Any thoughts out there?

Members don't see this ad.

This time I'm hitting the practice tests right away and learning material as I go along. Learning material without practicing them over and over is a complete and utter waste of time. If I were you, I would start gathering as much practice test material possible and doing them. But if you're uncomfortable going in like that, then you should review the material very quickly for about a week or two and go from there.

In August I got 7 VR, 8 PS, 12 BS. I hadn't taken physics yet so that didn't help, I am now though and think I should end up a couple points better. I figured out my problem with verbal was that I just didn't pay very much attention when I read (duh!) and have fixed that. I probably won't even open a book until Mar. 15. I'm not bragging, I spent so much time last year studying I just don't need much prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am retaking Mcat in april. This time Iam not reviewing material from text books or notes. I have started taking full lentgths. I review the material I miss on my full lengths. No , I dont have any CONFIDENCE yet that I will do better this time. Since my score on practice test are horrible( I hope UCLA does not read this post). But I have a HOPE that I will eventually I mprove my score in the real test. Good luck every body :)

As stated previously:

"I probably won't even open a book until Mar. 15. I'm not bragging, I spent so much time last year studying I just don't need much prep."

"But I have a HOPE that I will eventually improve my score in the real test."

I completely disagree with these 2 statements. First, why not open a book now and just brush up on some of your weaknesses? I know that is what I am doing. The first time I took the MCAT I had this same kind of cocky approach and thought the MCAT would be as easy as my other undergrad classes had. You know: read the notes, study the material and get an "A". Not so. Knowing the actual "tricks" and "format" of the MCAT are as important as the material itself.

The other statement's author really needs to wake up. What kind of attitude is that? "Hope" is nothing - you need to study. I have a hope that I will do well too; but hope is not enough. Study.

Just my $.02

Has anybody who has ever taken kaplan actually followed the schedule and ssignments (ie practice tests, topicals, etc)? I wonder if following everything they say to do would work. (read the material on time for classes and do practice questions)....anyone ever tried this? If I have to take it agin, that's what I would do

I am taking the MCAT for the third time.

The first time I took it cold turkey to see how I'd do. This was when I was a sophomore.

The second time I took TPR and did somewhat better.

After a few years off school, I am finally ready to really go at it. I am studying my old TPR books and my textbooks from school as I need them. I am also thinking about getting the practice tests available online.

Does anyone know how taking practice tests online compares with pencil and paper practices? I just am unsure as the getting the "real feel" of taking it.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mjennyt:
•I am taking the MCAT for the third time.

The first time I took it cold turkey to see how I'd do. This was when I was a sophomore.

The second time I took TPR and did somewhat better.

After a few years off school, I am finally ready to really go at it. I am studying my old TPR books and my textbooks from school as I need them. I am also thinking about getting the practice tests available online.

Does anyone know how taking practice tests online compares with pencil and paper practices? I just am unsure as the getting the "real feel" of taking it.•••••I did the same thing. The first time I took it without completing my 2nd physics and orgo classes (I only took the first part). That was in august 1999....I bombed the exam. I took it again this april after taking all classes...I did better but ofcourse I still need improvement. I am now pondering if I should take it in august, it's too late for April studying. I really don't want to take it but I will if I don't get any admissions this year, the test is the only thing holding me BACK! I know that for sure. I took princeton review twice...once in 2000 (i chickened out and didn't seat for august '00 exam, then I took it again for april '01 exam). If i have to retake the awful exam I will definately take Kaplan....I mean obviously princeton is not doing me any justice...all my friends took Kaplan they did better...not to say their own natural ability played no part but hey I had enough of princeton review.

I'm a second timer. The big difference this year compared to last year, as far as preparation, is that I'm giving myself more time. I had so much on my plate last year, that I seriously don't think I spent enough time focusing on the test, itself. I was taking a few classes (i graduated already), working, tutoring, volunteering, and trying to study. I had convinced myself that I could do it, because I did it in college and I did just fine. Yet, I was absolutely devastated by my scores.

I took Kaplan and I went to the center and did all the stuff they told me to do, yet I didn't do as well as I wanted. My physical science score was really the only thing that sucked. Everything else would have gotten me into med school, I think anyway.

I'm taking another review class and I'm stopping work about a month or so before the test so I can really focus. I plan on getting higher scores this time around. I know what to expect and I know where I need to improve upon, so I'm not too worried. Just make sure, that in all of your studying and getting ready for the test, you get some relaxation time. I was so drained after last year's test that I was absolutely useless for a month or so after the test. This year, I'm going to Europe after the test, so that's my motivation to study and do well!

We can do it, you guys. Just have a little faith in yourselves and put in the study time and we'll do fine. :D

Mellow: funny how you say you would take kaplan next time, because I took kaplan and next time I would take TPR! I heard it was more comprehensive and I need a LOT of review....unless retaking the kaplan course was really cheap of course......but hopefully we won't have to do it again!!!!!