2nd Year Foreign Language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2nd Year Foreign Language or Health Policy?

• Total voters

Buttered Toast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are med schools now asking for two years of foreign language to prove proficiency? I already took first-year Spanish during freshman year. I am wondering if I should take a second year of Spanish or take something else like health policy.

(I can only fit either of these classes into my schedule. Not both)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, doesn't really matter.

Taking two years of college Spanish is nowhere near reaching the level of "proficient," and I doubt any adcom will bat an eye at seeing that you've done so. If you're planning on continuing to practice your Spanish and improve, then go ahead and take the second year. Otherwise, don't bother.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The class is specifically "Spanish for Medical Students" offered by the medical school. Would this make a difference?

The class is specifically "Spanish for Medical Students" offered by the medical school. Would this make a difference?
Nada. Take it from someone who's been speaking Spanish for fifteen years; a "medical Spanish" course is rarely helpful if you don't already speak at a conversational level. Like I said, learning Spanish is something you have to commit to and is going to take more work than simply taking classes. The only time medical schools will have their interest piqued is if you're already a native speaker or if you've had extensive experience before applying. Pursue learning Spanish for your own enrichment and for your future practice, but you're fooling yourself if you think two years of college Spanish means anything to medical schools.

In terms of your ability to communicate with future patients, possibly (though unlikely if you don't continue speaking frequently outside of class after). In terms of med school, it might come up in an interview (I had one interviewer start talking to me in Spanish, since I put on my AMCAS that I spoke it) but it probably wouldn't impact you much beyond that.