2nd year transfer schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbk08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what US state schools accept 2nd year transfers from? I know Tufts does...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what US state schools accept 2nd year transfers from? I know Tufts does...

I think Georgia does...

I heard you can't transfer to Florida until 3rd year, but that may not be true

There might be certain circumstances that allow you to transfer 2nd year at any school, though

I think I saw your post in the Veterinary student forum? Are you thinking of going to the Caribbean? There is one caribbean school that has a transfer program set up w/VMRCVM. I think that school is guaranteed a certain # of spots. If you pass your classes, you'd be eligible to transfer/apply for transfer. Otherwise, VM does not accept transfers and I think this program is new.

I don't know what school it is, unfortunately. I think it may be one of the st.s schools.

You might be able to find out more from the VM website or maybe someone else here can help you--

www.vetmed.vt.edu

Members don't see this ad :)
The school Gilch is mentioning is Antigua's vet school. It's a new school and this program is new - no transfer students have come in yet. I think that, in order to transfer, there will need to be an open spot for students (so maybe someone left the program for medical reasons, transferred, failed a class, etc at VMRCVM) and the students would have to have grades at a certain level and pass a test. I could be fuzzy on the details because the program is brand new, but I think that's how it works. Students who transferred would get a degree from VMRCVM and would spend an extra semester getting prepared for the switch over. Students not accepted to transfer would get a degree from Antigua's school.

More info is here: http://www.auamed.org/aua_opens_vet_school

Yikes, that sounds risky, especially since they are a brand spankin new school. I wonder what contracts they have for clinicals in the US, if any, so far?

Yes gilch that was me:) Looking to go to Ross but am nervous I won't like it and want to know my transfer options.

The school Gilch is mentioning is Antigua's vet school. It's a new school and this program is new - no transfer students have come in yet. I think that, in order to transfer, there will need to be an open spot for students (so maybe someone left the program for medical reasons, transferred, failed a class, etc at VMRCVM) and the students would have to have grades at a certain level and pass a test. I could be fuzzy on the details because the program is brand new, but I think that's how it works. Students who transferred would get a degree from VMRCVM and would spend an extra semester getting prepared for the switch over. Students not accepted to transfer would get a degree from Antigua's school.

this is true, i bolded the impt part. i asked dr. pelzer about it during the interview and she told me this exact thing. so its not just that they can transfer, but a spot has to open up by someone leaving for w/e reason. she said there is a max of 5 spots per class, and that it is mostly to fill the gap for unpaid tuition when the other person has to leave. she said if no one from the class leaves then no one can transfer in

Yes gilch that was me:) Looking to go to Ross but am nervous I won't like it and want to know my transfer options.

If you're nervous you won't like it here in the Caribbean and are already looking into transfer options, I would not recommend you go to Ross. It's a huge decision to make going to a Caribbean school and it should not be taken lightly. A lot of people think "Oh, I'll just go to a Caribbean school and transfer, no biggie." But it's not easy to transfer, and if you can't transfer you're either stuck at Ross for the rest of the time and miserable, or you drop out and are left with a huge amount of debt.

One thing to note; sometimes transferring doesn't equate. For example, MS requires 2 years of classes to transfer into Y1 (at least, that is what I was told when I was there over christmas...I don't want to transfer, was just curious.)

I know we have a carib student who was a 2nd year there who has to 'catch up' to our class and join us next year (by catch up, I don't mean in knowledge, but that we have some requirements carib schools don't have, so he will have to put an extra year in, but isn't repeating courses like anatomy.)

Hopeful07 - are you down at Ross currently? How do you like it?

CBK-

Hopeful is at SGU (look at the line ABOVE the avatar)

Yup. There was a thread on here where this was discussed. I think a member of SDN (Torch?) is actually down there now, if I'm not mistaken.

edit: Try this. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=684632&highlight=antigua+vet+school

Last edited:
One thing to note; sometimes transferring doesn't equate. For example, MS requires 2 years of classes to transfer into Y1 (at least, that is what I was told when I was there over christmas...I don't want to transfer, was just curious.)

I know we have a carib student who was a 2nd year there who has to 'catch up' to our class and join us next year (by catch up, I don't mean in knowledge, but that we have some requirements carib schools don't have, so he will have to put an extra year in, but isn't repeating courses like anatomy.)

Yeah, most of the people that have transferred have either had to start from the beginning, or redo a term, or a year. For me, it would be a huge waste of money and time. But some people think that it's worth it and they have extenuating circumstances. The loans issue is a pretty big one over here - and some people have dropped out because of it.

Like Iheartgoldens said, I'm not at Ross, I'm a St. George's student. Another Caribbean school which is in Grenada. I like it here most days.