What Are My chances? 2nd Time Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TBD-ToBeDVM

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm back! :'D 23F, MS resident, soon to be 2nd time applicant.
I only applied to my IS last cycle and was waitlisted. I did not have enough veterinary experience, and did not prepare adequately for the interview, which cost me points. This cycle, I want to cast a wider net and apply to more schools. I'm interested in reapplying to Mississippi State (IS), and adding NCSU, Mizzou, UGA, and Arkansas. Mostly interested in rural mixed-practice, but I do have an interest in poultry med as well.

Cumulative GPA: 4.00
Science: 4.00
Last 45: 4.00
(this will not change before application as I am not currently taking classes, but I will most likely take one bio class in spring '27)

Associate's Degree in Animal Science
Bachelor's Degree in General Business


No GRE

Veterinary Experience: ~1200 hrs total at application
* Hands-on shadowing/volunteering at Clinic A (small animal) - 420 hrs
* Shadowing at Clinic B (small animal, exotics) - 20 hrs
* Shadowing at Clinic C (mixed-practice) - 40 hrs
* Shadowing at Clinic D (mixed-practice) - 20 hrs
* Volunteer at various Spay Day-type events - 10 hrs
* Veterinary Assistant at Clinic A - ~720 hours at application

Animal Experience: 2000+ hrs total
* Chicken Hatchery Owner - 1600 hrs
* Rabbit Breeder - 400 hrs
* Caring for day-old poultry at a farm store - 180 hrs
* Various other experiences, ex. touring/shadowing a dairy farm, helping to trap cats for TNR, etc.

Research:
None

Awards/Scholarships:
Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship (university)
Academic Merit Scholarship (university) (these two added up to an almost full scholarship)
Full Presidential Scholarship (community college)
Dean's List x3 Semesters (university)
President's List x4 Semesters (community college)
A couple of honor societies
Outstanding Scholar in Animal Science (faculty selection, community college, one per major)
Taylor Medal (university, top 1% of the class)
Outstanding Scholar in General Business (faculty selection, university, one per major)

Extracurriculars:
* Member and Social Media Manager for Pre-Veterinary Society - ~30hrs
* Freelance artist
* Hiking enthusiast
(not quite sure what else to put here as I'm not a sports or sorority person but they want to hear about us outside of vetmed right? 😀)

Employment:
* Retail team member at a farm store for 4.5 years, customer-facing, very customer-service oriented - 5300 hrs

LORs:
Veterinarian/Owner at Clinic A
Manager from farm store, hopefully
Business school professor, PhD

Since my last application cycle, I have gotten a job as a veterinary assistant, shadowed more mixed-practice clinics, and spent more time volunteering. I also plan to spend a lot more time practicing interview skills, and taking part in a mock interview if I can set one up with the pre-vet advisor at my university. I know my in-state school is the cheapest and most likely option for me to get in, but the process with applying, getting waitlisted, and ultimately getting rejected has somewhat discouraged me, so I definitely want to cast a wider net this time and get more options!

Thoughts? Any other schools I should think about applying to?
 
Honestly, your objective stats look great. I would add U.C Davis and any other vet school that lets you become IS after your 1st year. Just make sure your rec letters and essays are strong and I think you stand a great chance this upcoming cycle!
 
Your chances are great if you work hard on your essays and interviews. Luckily some of the lower cost schools love high GPAs: UC Davis, TAMU, UF are on the less expensive end for OOS. I would consider those too.