3.0 & 38 vs. 3.5 and 30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luxaeterna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
all else being equal--who has the better shot?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably the 3.5 and 30 but again, you never know for sure what could happen

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on age. If we're talking about two 22-year-olds just getting out of college, then 3.5 and 30 because the other person has no excuse for a 3.0- they are who they look like, a person who can obviously perform very well when they put their mind to it but lack the motivation to put forth that effort consistently. On the other hand, if we're talking about 30-year-old nontrads, then maybe the 3.0 and 38, because UG GPA doesn't look quite so important when you're 8-years out of college; the 38 you got on the MCAT 3 months ago might be more indicative of who you are today than your GPA from 8 years ago.

depends on age. If we're talking about two 22-year-olds just getting out of college, then 3.5 and 30 because the other person has no excuse for a 3.0- they are who they look like, a person who can obviously perform very well when they put their mind to it but lack the motivation to put forth that effort consistently. On the other hand, if we're talking about 30-year-old nontrads, then maybe the 3.0 and 38, because ug gpa doesn't look quite so important when you're 8-years out of college; the 38 you got on the mcat 3 months ago might be more indicative of who you are today than your gpa from 8 years ago.

+1

Depends on age. If we're talking about two 22-year-olds just getting out of college, then 3.5 and 30 because the other person has no excuse for a 3.0- they are who they look like, a person who can obviously perform very well when they put their mind to it but lack the motivation to put forth that effort consistently. On the other hand, if we're talking about 30-year-old nontrads, then maybe the 3.0 and 38, because UG GPA doesn't look quite so important when you're 8-years out of college; the 38 you got on the MCAT 3 months ago might be more indicative of who you are today than your GPA from 8 years ago.
Agreed

all else being equal--who has the better shot?

It depends on the medical school that you guys apply to. Some schools value MCAT over GPA while other values he GPA over MCAT and other like to see a balance (like a 2.5 gpa and 30+ mCAT is a no no)

good points, appreciate the responses. So which schools do you think value MCAT highly?

btw I have a 3.3 and 38, so I'm not as bad as the example, but still very worried about my GPA.

Holler. This is not douchy logic (aka excellent).

I think it depends on so much. If there is a good reason for the low gpa (having to work full time to support yourself/a family, getting really sick, etc.) and you have good grades otherwise, I think they'd take the 3.0 and 38.

I think it depends on so much. If there is a good reason for the low gpa (having to work full time to support yourself/a family, getting really sick, etc.) and you have good grades otherwise, I think they'd take the 3.0 and 38.

Yeah, but the idea is "all other things being equal," including health/extenuating circumstances. I still think right out of college the more balanced 30/3.5 would look better.

luxaeterna said:
good points, appreciate the responses. So which schools do you think value MCAT highly?

btw I have a 3.3 and 38, so I'm not as bad as the example, but still very worried about my GPA.

3.3>>3.0. I think it will come down to the rest of your application; if you've got some good ECs that pique the interest of the adcom, you could do well. Assuming you applied sufficiently broadly across low and middle tier schools, and hopefully not TOO late, I think you've got a reasonable shot. But if you're unsuccessful this cycle, at least you'll know what you have to work on for next year. Also, applying earlier is always good.

Not to send you into a panic, but it never hurts to have a plan B mapped out.

so someone out of college for 3 years, can we interpolate to a 3.3/34? :love:

3.5 & 30.. because those are my stats (3.55 & 31!)

I think it looks more well-balanced than a 3.0 & 38, even though a 38 is awesome

I'm gonna have to go with a 3.0 and 38. GPA you have some hope of it getting weighted, but the 38 MCAT is standarized. If you get a 38+ you're in effect performed better than 98-99.7% of the pre-med population. Score a 30 and a 4.0 means you might've had a weaker course load, maybe loaded with psych courses or something easy like 100 or 200 level composition courses. But still you only had a 30 which means you are only about 88-91% percentile and roughly 10% of the population is better than you.

I think that with a 3.0 and a 38, you're going to get a bunch of rejections. However, I think the schools that you DO get interviews at will be much easier to get into. A 3.5 and a 30 means you're fighting uphill on both when considering the average matriculant. At least with a 38, you have an ace.

cyclin M is right....how can you guys not see this

some schools are easier than others, and in those schools some classes are easier than others...therefore the GPA is a biased number, not at all standardized.

The MCAT however is standardized and equilizes everyone.

3.0 38 FTW