WAMC 509/3.5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kylem33098

Reaction score
1. cGPA = 3.2 and sGPA = 3.5
2. MCAT score = 509 (128,126,127,128)
3. Massachusetts resident
4. White Male
5. Large southern undergrad university
6. I have a lot of clinical experience, I worked on an established critical care team focusing on complex respiratory conditions. Our team is paged by the ICU team to assess their patient. I worked alongside a post-doc fellow during these assessments. We were extremely active during the COVID-19 pandemic where no one really knew what was going on with this patients and what ventilator parameters were best.
7. I focused heavily on research at a top-5 research hospital in the country. I have three first author publications as well as as one second author and two mid authors for a total of 6 publications. I have also had multiple abstracts and posters presentations. I am also currently running a phase 3 clinical trial in the ICU.
8. I have ample shadowing experience. I have shadowed Anesthesiologist in the operating room / ICU, neonatologist in the NICU, emergency medicine physicians in the emergency department and a family medicine physician.
9. I have non-clinical volunteering as both a sunday school teacher and an assistant youth soccer coach.
10. I am an avid soccer player and have run a marathon in which I had to raise $7,500 for COVID-19 emergency response.

11. I think it's important to mention that all though my GPA is not good and MCAT is below par, I do have an upward GPA trend. I graduated my undergrad as a Business major and did not complete any science pre-reqs until I completed my post-bacc program. I am aware my stats aren't great but I do hope that my research / clinical / shadowing experience as well being a non-traditional can help me during the application.

I would love to hear your thoughts on what you think of my application and if I have any chance of getting accepted into medical schools and if so, what medical schools should I be looking at? I am planning on applying to both MD / DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on your non-clinical volunteering? A lot of the MD schools in your stat range will be service oriented and expect commitment to assisting those who are less fortunate than yourself. I would encourage you to increase your involvement in organizations that assist these groups: homeless shelter, food bank, food closet, soup kitchen, or crisis volunteering. Choose a facet that relates to your mission and interests. It will be easier to talk about when it comes up in interviews.

You are very competitive for DO, less so for MD, but could still get interviews. Your research at at the T5 instituional, publications, and clinical trials are intesting and should catch some eyes. I'm not entirely familiar with DO schools, but you could apply to the following MD schools:

Albany
TCU
RFU
Drexel
Penn State
Nova
MCW
Belmont
Geisinger
Loma Linda (if you're SDA or otherwise mission fit)
Quinnipiac
EVMS
VTC
Einstein (Perhaps your research will impress them, worth a shot for free medical school)
Colorado (Perhaps your research will impress them)
Vermont
Sidney Kimmel
Tufts
UMass (your state school, hopefully they show you some love)
Wake Forest (Perhaps your research will impress them)

The following MD schools are typically "service heavy" and expect quite a bit of involvment in your community and helping less fortunate people. These are schools that you could apply to but would not be competitive at unless you can demonstrate mission fit to their program.

Rush
Tulane
Loyola
OUWB
Temple
SLU
VCU
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown

As always, be on the lookout for comments from actual adcoms and take my advice with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 2 users