<3.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am going into my senior year at my state university. I was dismissed at the end of my sophomore year for poor academic performance (1.6 GPA, I know how bad it is, I couldn't handle college) and went to a community college for a year and a half after. I retook physics 1 and 2 and biology. I took lots of GE's and took anatomy, organic chem 1 and 2 and both labs. I earned A's in all of these classes except for a B in the second o chem lab (87.6%). I got readmitted into my state university and retook 2 classes to earn an A and a B. I'm more confident that I can do well now and I'm planning on earning my bs within the next year. I'm full time starting this semester. I haven't taken biochem, molgen, or any of my other upper level major courses. I'm just wondering what my chances really are. I may barely earn a 3.0 if at all when I graduate, but I'll have an upward trend. Any advice for what I should do to increase my chances for getting into dental or med school would be appreciated. Also, I'd like to know what to expect so I can prepare myself for the worst. I realize the position I'm in, and I don't want to waste my time going after something that I won't be able to be even though I've realized the field I want to be in. I'm also considering pharmacy, but I'd rather be a dentist or a doctor. Thanks in advance for all of your help, I'm in need of guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just take those upper level bio classes and take your standardized exam and apply next cycle. You have a fair chance considering that upward trend.

Out of curiosity when you say you are full time this year do you mean a full time student and previously you weren't? If so you should really consider doing a post-bac (actually you might want to do it regardless of whether you were a full time student the entire time). The post bac will help you increase GPA and also prove to dental schools that you can handle a full time course load during the semester. I would say never say never. It's going to be hard but you have to really commit both time and effort if you want to be a dentist. Have you taken your DAT? What have you been doing in terms of extra curriculars? Also it seems you are still in between career choices but have you shadowed any of these professions? I reccommend doing that first to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I am going into my senior year at my state university. I was dismissed at the end of my sophomore year for poor academic performance (1.6 GPA, I know how bad it is, I couldn't handle college) and went to a community college for a year and a half after. I retook physics 1 and 2 and biology. I took lots of GE's and took anatomy, organic chem 1 and 2 and both labs. I earned A's in all of these classes except for a B in the second o chem lab (87.6%). I got readmitted into my state university and retook 2 classes to earn an A and a B. I'm more confident that I can do well now and I'm planning on earning my bs within the next year. I'm full time starting this semester. I haven't taken biochem, molgen, or any of my other upper level major courses. I'm just wondering what my chances really are. I may barely earn a 3.0 if at all when I graduate, but I'll have an upward trend. Any advice for what I should do to increase my chances for getting into dental or med school would be appreciated. Also, I'd like to know what to expect so I can prepare myself for the worst. I realize the position I'm in, and I don't want to waste my time going after something that I won't be able to be even though I've realized the field I want to be in. I'm also considering pharmacy, but I'd rather be a dentist or a doctor. Thanks in advance for all of your help, I'm in need of guidance.

A lot of schools have minimum cutoffs at 3.0, just keep that in mind. Also I personally think upward trends help students who have middle of the pack GPAs, but I don't know how much it would help if you have like a 3.01 though.

You would have to score very highly on your standardized exams, and also have a robust list of extracurriculars and volunteering.

Dat will be the most important thing to focus on. Depending on how you do on it you may need to do a masters.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity when you say you are full time this year do you mean a full time student and previously you weren't? If so you should really consider doing a post-bac (actually you might want to do it regardless of whether you were a full time student the entire time). The post bac will help you increase GPA and also prove to dental schools that you can handle a full time course load during the semester. I would say never say never. It's going to be hard but you have to really commit both time and effort if you want to be a dentist. Have you taken your DAT? What have you been doing in terms of extra curriculars? Also it seems you are still in between career choices but have you shadowed any of these professions? I reccommend doing that first to make sure.
I have been full time all throughout my undergrad, I was only part time at my 4 year university and part time at community college for the semester that I got reinstated to ease back into it/prove that I can handle it. So technically I was full time in total but part time at cc and university. I have not taken the DAT and I don't have any extracurriculars really. I work at a research facility, and I have shadowed a doctor, dentist, and pharmacist. I'm planning to prove that I can do well being full time for three more semesters.
Would you recommend an informal post bac or should I do it through a program? Thanks!

A lot of schools have minimum cutoffs at 3.0, just keep that in mind. Also I personally think upward trends help students who have middle of the pack GPAs, but I don't know how much it would help if you have like a 3.01 though.

You would have to score very highly on your standardized exams, and also have a robust list of extracurriculars and volunteering.
I'm worried about that GPA cutoff. Is there a way to get around it if I've been doing consistently well after I was doing poorly? Or would I just have to work to get my GPA up in order to get noticed? I'm wondering if I can go and talk to schools about my circumstances or if that will be a wasted effort- I can imagine others talk to school too but with better GPAs than me.

I'm worried about that GPA cutoff. Is there a way to get around it if I've been doing consistently well after I was doing poorly? Or would I just have to work to get my GPA up in order to get noticed? I'm wondering if I can go and talk to schools about my circumstances or if that will be a wasted effort- I can imagine others talk to school too but with better GPAs than me.

Obviously i'm not an adcom, so everything i (and everyone else) state is purely speculative. That being said, a cutoff is a cutoff, no amount of explaining or upward trend will allow you to bypass a minimum. I'm pretty sure the rest of your application is not even considered if you are below the cutoff. They don't go through everyone's transcript and immediately look for an upward trend.

Reactions: 2 users
I got admitted with an undergraduate GPA < 3.0. I don't know where the 3.0 cutoff rumor started, but for most schools it's a 2.75. If you apply early, the better for you

I got admitted with an undergraduate GPA < 3.0. I don't know where the 3.0 cutoff rumor started, but for most schools it's a 2.75. If you apply early, the better for you
Congrats, can I ask what your GPA was and if you had any extracurriculars or anything that made you stand out? Also, did you get in your first try? Thanks a lot.

I have been full time all throughout my undergrad, I was only part time at my 4 year university and part time at community college for the semester that I got reinstated to ease back into it/prove that I can handle it. So technically I was full time in total but part time at cc and university. I have not taken the DAT and I don't have any extracurriculars really. I work at a research facility, and I have shadowed a doctor, dentist, and pharmacist. I'm planning to prove that I can do well being full time for three more semesters.
Would you recommend an informal post bac or should I do it through a program? Thanks!

I would recommend doing a formal postbacc/masters program. You need to show adcoms that you can handle a full course load and the formal ones would really help you be on track with things and you get other additional support from advisors and classmate who may be going through a similar situation. Also you should get some volunteering hours if you haven't. It's good that you're doing research, but I would branch out and do some other EC as well particularly volunteering. You might want to do some more shadowing then if you haven't decided between the three, maybe shadow specialties for dentistry as well. May I ask why you are drawn to all three and why you are undecided?

Can't speak for everyone, but I am an ORM that started off in a real dire position (see one of my earlier posts). You need a solid DAT on your first try (22+ AA, 18+ PAT) and a 3.5+ in your formal masters program. If you've done the other extracurriculars and leadership position commitments, your application should get you into A dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend doing a formal postbacc/masters program. You need to show adcoms that you can handle a full course load and the formal ones would really help you be on track with things and you get other additional support from advisors and classmate who may be going through a similar situation. Also you should get some volunteering hours if you haven't. It's good that you're doing research, but I would branch out and do some other EC as well particularly volunteering. You might want to do some more shadowing then if you haven't decided between the three, maybe shadow specialties for dentistry as well. May I ask why you are drawn to all three and why you are undecided?
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely start volunteering. I didn't realize it's that important. I'm drawn to all three mostly because I went through some health issues around the same time I was dismissed from school and I realized I want to work in a profession where I can offer support to others who may be going through similar things. I also know I'd make my parents really proud, and I want to be financially stable and independent, so it seems like a good route.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely start volunteering. I didn't realize it's that important. I'm drawn to all three mostly because I went through some health issues around the same time I was dismissed from school and I realized I want to work in a profession where I can offer support to others who may be going through similar things. I also know I'd make my parents really proud, and I want to be financially stable and independent, so it seems like a good route.

Just an FYI I believe most postbacc/masters have a 2.7 gpa cutoff. I'm not sure what you mean by "barely" a 3.0 so just wanted to let you know of that. Also yes volunteering is definitely important for all three professions. Obviously all of them involve helping others and you are going to be taking care of vulnerable and maybe disadvantaged people. Volunteering in an underrepresented community is the best way to go imo. Even if it's just volunteering at a soup kitchen or something, you're still making a positive impact on someone.

Again keep up with the shadowing, obviously I myself am biased towards dentistry as I am a pre dent but I do have some knowledge of careers in medicine and pharmacy (family) but if you have any questions about why I prefer dentistry as opposed to the other two just hit me up. Good luck!

Anyone with a pulse can get into a masters program, if I were u I would finish up BS and hope right into a clean MS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile