Foreign Undergraduate GPA 3.0, Can I still try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishsoup

Reaction score
My situation is a little special. I have an undergraduate in non science major from China, with a GPA of 3.09( another story why it’s so low).

Then I can to the US and got a Masters degree in journalism (again in non science major) with a GPAof 3.89.

I have been taking my pre req with straight 4.0 so far for all. Planning to take DAT in the spring and apply next summer.
Will reach about 250 hours of shadowing, 800 hours working hours, and 200 volunteering hours by the time I apply.

My question is : do I even have a fair chance to apply to any dental schools? My main concern is that my undergrad is from a foreign country, and the GPA is so low(3.09). Well long story short, it was 3.26 and it dropped to 3.09 when EVE evaluated my transcript because different grading scales used in China vs. US.
I did pretty well with my Masters in the US, but still in a non science major. And I am doing pretty well with all my science courses so far with pre req courses. But I’m still very concerned if dental schools will even look into me with a foreign undergraduate degree.

Any ideas or suggestions on my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

My situation is a little special. I have an undergraduate in non science major from China, with a GPA of 3.09( another story why it’s so low).

Then I can to the US and got a Masters degree in journalism (again in non science major) with a GPAof 3.89.

I have been taking my pre req with straight 4.0 so far for all. Planning to take DAT in the spring and apply next summer.
Will reach about 250 hours of shadowing, 800 hours working hours, and 200 volunteering hours by the time I apply.

My question is : do I even have a fair chance to apply to any dental schools? My main concern is that my undergrad is from a foreign country, and the GPA is so low(3.09). Well long story short, it was 3.26 and it dropped to 3.09 when EVE evaluated my transcript because different grading scales used in China vs. US.
I did pretty well with my Masters in the US, but still in a non science major. And I am doing pretty well with all my science courses so far with pre req courses. But I’m still very concerned if dental schools will even look into me with a foreign undergraduate degree.

Any ideas or suggestions on my situation?
what is your citizenship status?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh awesome

continue to kill your prereqs, do well on the DAT and apply broadly and wisely, and you have a shot...

Thanks. If I take some more science courses on top of the pre req, does that help bringing my overall GPA up? Or the 3.09 foreign GPA stigma is still there no matter what I do?

Thanks. If I take some more science courses on top of the pre req, does that help bringing my overall GPA up? Or the 3.09 foreign GPA stigma is still there no matter what I do?
someone else will chime in, but i believe only US courses count...

Correct. You should look at getting your other degree evaluated, but if you read the AADSAS guide, you'll see only US/Canadian courses from accredited institutions matter for GPA.

Wait, so my foreign undergrad GPA won’t be even into the calculation of the overall calculation? Does that mean only the pre req I took in the US will basically be counted for my undergrad GPA?

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, so my foreign undergrad GPA won’t be even into the calculation of the overall calculation? Does that mean only the pre req I took in the US will basically be counted for my undergrad GPA?
read the AADSAS guide...

read the AADSAS guide...

I just read the ADEA guide and I think it’s worth to share this with others on the forum. So apparently foreign transcript does not count towards the GPA calculation. So in my case, I have had ECE evaluated my foreign transcript and send it to ADEA, but the numbers will not be counted towards my ASEA GPA calculation.

Well I guess that’s good news then in my case…? But then my question is, how does ADEA calculate my freshman through senior year GPA? Because these will be all foreign grades. Will dental school still look at my foreign GPA? I’m confused. I guess I fall into this special case of being a citizen, but have an international background.

Reactions: 1 user