3.0 potential undergrad..help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quirkysnail

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this network (as of 10 minutes ago) and i desperately need help.

I am a non trad with 2 children. My academic history is sub par (multiple Fs when i was 18) and is really dragging down my GPA. If i get A letters in the remainder of my classes, my cGPA will be a 3.01 as well as my sGPA. I know alot of medical schools have cut offs etc. I am really frustrated, why must i pay for the mistakes of my youth? ever since i returned to college, my trend has only been upward. But, considering the amount of classes I have already taken, not much will budge the GPA at this point. What should I do? I found out that the local med school recently opened a Med Prep scholars program (masters) which is a year long and guarantees an interview to the MD school at the end of the program. Should I just toss the idea of med school out until I can raise my GPA by doing a post bacc or this masters program? Apply only to schools that use a different 'filtering' technique (such as looking at only the most recent classes etc- University of Florida does this i believe) , apply only DO? I had anticipated applying when AMCAS opens the spring 2022 cycle...but now I am not so sure. Could I apply DO and still possibly get accepted, if my ECs are strong and my MCAT is strong as well?

Lovingly accepting any thoughts/advice !

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to receive DO interviews as long as your MCAT is at least 500. You will need to apply broadly and include all the new schools. You could take additional undergraduate level science courses at a local college (community college is fine) to raise your sGPA. Post your actual MCAT score here in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to receive DO interviews as long as your MCAT is at least 500. You will need to apply broadly and include all the new schools. You could take additional undergraduate level science courses at a local college (community college is fine) to raise your sGPA. Post your actual MCAT score here in the future.
Thank you so much for this. All i need is that interview. I have a very compelling story and I know I have what it takes. I will post my MCAT once i take it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you do what it takes to get your GPA above 3.0. That will help you avoid being screened out by a computer at most schools. If you do well on the MCAT you should get interviews at DO schools. MD is likely out of the question unless you can get accepted to the SMP you mentioned. Check what the requirements are for that.

Reactions: 1 users
I was once in a similar position. A long time ago. I made it, and so can you. You better want it badly, because you’ll need to put in extra time. Your chances of acceptance without a masters/postbacc are slim to none.

GL

Hi all,

I am new to this network (as of 10 minutes ago) and i desperately need help.

I am a non trad with 2 children. My academic history is sub par (multiple Fs when i was 18) and is really dragging down my GPA. If i get A letters in the remainder of my classes, my cGPA will be a 3.01 as well as my sGPA. I know alot of medical schools have cut offs etc. I am really frustrated, why must i pay for the mistakes of my youth? ever since i returned to college, my trend has only been upward. But, considering the amount of classes I have already taken, not much will budge the GPA at this point. What should I do? I found out that the local med school recently opened a Med Prep scholars program (masters) which is a year long and guarantees an interview to the MD school at the end of the program. Should I just toss the idea of med school out until I can raise my GPA by doing a post bacc or this masters program? Apply only to schools that use a different 'filtering' technique (such as looking at only the most recent classes etc- University of Florida does this i believe) , apply only DO? I had anticipated applying when AMCAS opens the spring 2022 cycle...but now I am not so sure. Could I apply DO and still possibly get accepted, if my ECs are strong and my MCAT is strong as well?

Lovingly accepting any thoughts/advice !
. I am really frustrated, why must i pay for the mistakes of my youth?
Well, one reason is that you have to own your mistakes. And med schools have a seller's market.

But it's no longer about the cGPA anymore, but proving that the you of now is not the you of then.

There are a number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

Read this:

. I am really frustrated, why must i pay for the mistakes of my youth?
Well, one reason is that you have to own your mistakes. And med schools have a seller's market.

But it's no longer about the cGPA anymore, but proving that the you of now is not the you of then.

There are a number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

Read this:
Thank you, friend. You're right, it is important to own my mistakes. And i do. 18 year old Olivia is much different than the 27 year old Olivia. I can fully attest to it in more ways than one. I was just frustrated at the fact I have the potential to be filtered out because of 1-2 poor semesters. I feel like I have been going to college forever, and have ONLY gotten better every semester (especially the last 2 years). I read that link, and it was very helpful. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
I was once in a similar position. A long time ago. I made it, and so can you. You better want it badly, because you’ll need to put in extra time. Your chances of acceptance without a masters/postbacc are slim to none.

GL
Thank you. I enjoy hearing of others successes , especially those who have walked a similar path as I have. I congratulate your hard work, and believe me I will give it all I have. I turned this direction and I am not turning back now.

Make sure you do what it takes to get your GPA above 3.0. That will help you avoid being screened out by a computer at most schools. If you do well on the MCAT you should get interviews at DO schools. MD is likely out of the question unless you can get accepted to the SMP you mentioned. Check what the requirements are for that.
Thanks for your input! The MCAT requirement for the Med Scholars program is a 500 MCAT and a 3.0 minimum GPA. They stated they can make exceptions for both parameters, though. If i can get it atleast close to a 3.0 with perhaps a 505 MCAT I believe I will make it in the program. Wildly off topic, but do you know of a specific site/calculator dedicated to calculating sGPA and cGPA for medical schools?

Thanks for your input! The MCAT requirement for the Med Scholars program is a 500 MCAT and a 3.0 minimum GPA. They stated they can make exceptions for both parameters, though. If i can get it atleast close to a 3.0 with perhaps a 505 MCAT I believe I will make it in the program. Wildly off topic, but do you know of a specific site/calculator dedicated to calculating sGPA and cGPA for medical schools?