3,000 dollars to spend on books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonny Crocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a grant for 3,000 dollars that I have to spend on medical books/CDs/Journals.

I will be starting as a CA 1 in June/July 09.

Do you guys have any recommended books that I should buy?

I know there is a large miller text/CD (for like 400 bucks) as well as MGH review. As I have not started my Anesthesia training yet, I would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, where did you get this grant and where do I sign up?
Second, I will send you my address in a PM so you know where to mail the texts to.:)
Third, if possible, save most of the money for a year or so to figure out for yourself which books you want. If you buy them all now, many will be one edition old by the time you really have a chance to get past page 1.

Miller's is good to have on hand
Stoelting's Coexisting Disease
Yao and Artusio's text
Stoelting's Pharm and Phys is nice to have as a reference
Brown's Atlas is a classic but Hadzic's text includes better ultrasound guided regional
Chestnut's OB Anesthesia text
Waldman's 2 volume pain text is a pretty comprehensive 2 volume set that is pretty pricey, but heck, you have $3000.

As I said, I would wait as long as you can to spend the majority of it.

First of all, where did you get this grant and where do I sign up?
Second, I will send you my address in a PM so you know where to mail the texts to.:)
Third, if possible, save most of the money for a year or so to figure out for yourself which books you want. If you buy them all now, many will be one edition old by the time you really have a chance to get past page 1.

Miller's is good to have on hand
Stoelting's Coexisting Disease
Yao and Artusio's text
Stoelting's Pharm and Phys is nice to have as a reference
Brown's Atlas is a classic but Hadzic's text includes better ultrasound guided regional
Chestnut's OB Anesthesia text
Waldman's 2 volume pain text is a pretty comprehensive 2 volume set that is pretty pricey, but heck, you have $3000.

As I said, I would wait as long as you can to spend the majority of it.

I would also recommend in addition to the list above:
Surgical procedures for the anesthesiologist (i think thats the title) by Jaffe.

and Im sure these will be available to you online or through your program, but if you got the cash these journals are nice

Anesthesia and analgesia
Anesthesiology
Current opinion in anesthesia

and I would also include the Jensen review material for your future boards. as long as this isnt your primary learning material its an excellent supplement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before you get too carried away with buying, you may want to see when new editions are coming out. It would suck to drop $400 on Miller (or whatever it costs now) and have a new one out in 3 months.

buy all the gas books in the shop, return them the next day for $ and have a good one in the Caribbean :thumbup:

buy all the gas books in the shop, return them the next day for $ and have a good one in the Caribbean :thumbup:

I have, of course, given some serious thought to this. The plan is to drop at least some of it on some quality texts that will serve me well in my training and beyond.

We'll see. Thanks for the suggestions though..

Sonny

Buy Morgan and Mikhail and a lap top. Can you carry the money over for next year?

Cambie