ideas to spend my professional funds..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have a few thousand in professional funds to spend this year
any ideas how to spend this money?
not planning to do any conferences
my CME stuff is up to date
i have a bunch of stethoscopes and textbooks already and not really looking for more
use it or lose it kind of deal
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have a few thousand in professional funds to spend this year
any ideas how to spend this money?
not planning to do any conferences
my CME stuff is up to date
i have a bunch of stethoscopes and textbooks already and not really looking for more
use it or lose it kind of deal
My employer gives us 10K/yr and I didn't do any meetings this year, so I got a butterfly IQ+ ultrasound, a nice MacBook pro, and some Bluetooth noise cancelling Bose headphones. Also had difficulty deciding what to spend it on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My group’s accountant asks me every year if I still have the office chair I submitted receipts for 2 years ago for a deduction. Maybe furniture is different than computers?
It sounds like he is depreciating it over time. For one chair it probably doesn’t matter, but for 2000+ across an organization, this would add up.

Probably has more to do with that and less to do with keeping tabs
 
My group’s accountant asks me every year if I still have the office chair I submitted receipts for 2 years ago for a deduction. Maybe furniture is different than computers?
So what? Does he or she invite themselves to Sunday dinner to come take inventory?
Seriously.
I get like 15k. I guess I am going to Dubai end of June. First Class on Emirates I hear is Fantastico!! Found a conference there.
 
We can use it on computer, but every two years. We can use it for phone, iPad, other toys, with “no limits.” Don’t be buying 10 or 100 selling on eBay, then probably okay.
 
Lol no they dont.

My cme fund is a whopping 2k I'm poor as **** compared to all you ballers in here. I don't even use it most of the time because it is too small to accomplish anything.
I don't doubt that there are some places out there that may do something like this. Different places take this with different levels of seriousness. Some are very very strict and do a lot of checking.
I would definitely not do the buy then return because there are legal ramifications to that outside of your employer. There is a 99% chance you get away with it, but why risk it? Just spend the money on something that you will use and call it a day. If you are in a training program, you can buy texts and then donate them to the residency program. Now that fewer read texts, that is not as popular, but some may still appreciate it. Like a nice regional atlas or a hard copy of Miller's. I may be old-fashioned, but I still some some value in having a few texts around.
 
Last edited:
I’m in PP so my “CME fund” is unlimited but it just comes out of my own share of collections pretax. It’s just a way to pay for stuff pretax but ultimately I’m still paying for it. I have taken CME in Hawaii and paid for electronics with it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go all out on some OR shoes: Ultraboosts, Yeezy's, Golden Goose. Whatever. See if watches are covered. You may be able to justify a mechanical watch with chronometer function, but probably just smart watches. Support Physicians for Patient Protection with an annual membership. Laptop, phone, iPad, Butterfly ultrasound, cool bag for medical supplies. Nice stethoscope if you need one.