3.1 and a 33S what to do...what to do..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaymarc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats up... I just got my August MCAT scores and they were as good as I wanted but I am not disappointed by any means. I have an 11V 11P 11B and an S. I am kind of amazed by myself with the verbal stuff since I am a neuroscience major and I hate english classes.

Anyways, my blaring weakness is my 3.1 GPA, I go to Emory University, a pretty decent institution...I have some research that im doing right now, worked for the CDC, various other EC's...I am definatley taking the year off after I graduate to do something to make myself more appetizing to adcoms. What do yall think. a post bacc program like harvard, penns or gtowns? maybe an NIH fellowship which would be nice esp since there is a 20 grand stipend. (im on loans from here on out). I think I would have a good shot at my state school, but I'm from Kansas, and I do not want to return to Kansas. So im shootin for the private schools (gtown, tulane, drexel,,,) or University of Hawaii ( I have extensive roots there). What suggestions do you have esp. those who have been in my situation.... I KNOW alot of you messed around freshman year like I did (gpa<2.0)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you worked at CDC...well, if you like public health, and think an MPH might be useful to you, you can always pick one up in two years. Just find a program where you can take a "hard core" science class here or there to boost your science GPA, and apply after your first year. That's what I'm doing.

Sounds like you'll have a solid application. I like the MPH idea and working for the NIH. Consider the Post-Bac programs like the one from Harvard and Hopkins. They can help considerably, not only by raising your GPA if you do well, but by exposing you to clinical medicine.

If you decide on the MPH degree, Hopkins has the number 1 MPH program in the country. :)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
33 w/ a 11, 11, 11 breakdown should cut it for any decent schools and a 3.1 from Emory is respectable enough when the <2.0 freshman year GPA is factored in.

If possible, take some undergrad classes and try to bring up the GPA to ~ 3.3 before you apply.

3.3 w/ a 33 is Solid.

dude- apply. i went to pomona college... and my scores aren't as solid as yours... and i have friends in similar positions that have gotten in. i'm doing an MPH at columbia right now, i'll tell you if that helps me out or not when i'm done with the application cycle. i think that if you had less than a 2.0 your freshman year, then you probably showed dramatic improvement over your undergraduate experience. you sound like a solid candidate. remember, gpa is just one of the things they look at.... a good personal statement which reflects maturation can go a long way-
good luck.
peter

apply! one guy on this board had similar stats and got into 2/17 schools he applied to...it's possible! i know people with a 3.2 and 29 getting interviews...

Just beware though about some Post-Bacs; if you've already taken a large portion of the pre-medical courses, you may not get in them. I know that the new program at Hopkins has this policy. But if you can find a good post-bac, then consider it.

if you really do not want to go to Kansas you may seriously want to consider changing your state of residence. If you go for the NIH Fellowship (a solid idea), you may want to change your residency to Maryland at the beginning of your first year of the fellowship, and that way you will be considered a Maryland resident for admissions and tuition purposes at the time you apply. Maryland is a great school that loves students who do research, and many private schools in DC and neighboring states tend to like Maryland residents as well. you would be much more likely to be admitted to Drexel, G-town, GW, Penn State, MCV/VCU, EVMS, etc. as an MD resident than as a KS resident IMO. Definitely something to think about. g'luck!

hey jaymarc, whats been up.

once again i'm mightily impressed with your score and comeback from a slow start in college, us emoryites gotta stick together. I'd say give it a try this year, with a bunch of middle and lower tier schools. Also, you might want to try switching your residency to a more "med school friendly" type of state like Katie suggested. Maryland is a good idea, and let me drop in my vote for Pennsylvania. There are a bunch of good Philly area postbacc programs (some are kinda pricey I think) at UPenn, Drexel, Bryn Mawr, and several other schools that I'm forgetting, and they all have linkages to some pretty good med schools (apparently Drexel, Temple, and Jeff all take a pretty healthy chunk of their class from postbaccs in the area). You've got six solid med schools , an osteopathic school in the state, plus a relatively low cost of living in the northeast US. Good luck with everything :)

Thanks for the advice everyone......this board is really amazing. The maryland residency idea sounds really interesting to me, I'm going to have to look into that more. What other states are good candidates for transplantation? I have another year of school to go so hopefully I can boost my GPA a few points....

by the way thanks DW for all your advice man...I am really pleased with my performance on that damn test.

in my honest opinion, texas is where you'd want to be if you're really concerned about state residency. they have a great med school system, and really favor their in state pool. if i dont get in this round, i think i may move there after i get my degree in may and apply again.
p

actually- i have a plan. why don't we gather a whole group of us and all move to texas in may. that way we can all be state residents and apply from there. we can call our pad the 'residency joint' and year to year we'll shuttle people in and out who just want residency.
p