3.1 SMP GPA (you read that right) 502 MCAT/ORM. Accepted off waitlist to med school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catcatcat45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to everything you read on here. I have no X factor. I think PCOM just really vouches for their SMP students. I pulled mostly B's, low MCAT, no letter of rec from one of their professors, still got in. I can't speak for other schools, but the advice on here is sometimes BS.

Can I just mention that SMP is significantly harder than undergrad and B average doesn't mean you "can't handle med school curriculum". A 3.1 in an SMP at med school is not the same as a 3.1 in college courses. The idea that you "blew your last chance" is insane to me, because a B means you were proficient. The volume of material they throw at you in SMPs and you think a B means they need to look into other careers? Those are just my two cents. If I listened to advice on here, I wouldn't have applied and gotten in.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
You beat the odds. Congrats!

Now go be a badass doctor!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to everything you read on here. I have no X factor. I think PCOM just really vouches for their SMP students. I pulled mostly B's, low MCAT, no letter of rec from one of their professors, still got in. I can't speak for other schools, but the advice on here is sometimes BS.

Can I just mention that SMP is significantly harder than undergrad and B average doesn't mean you "can't handle med school curriculum". A 3.1 in an SMP at med school is not the same as a 3.1 in college courses. The idea that you "blew your last chance" is insane to me, because a B means you were proficient. The volume of material they throw at you in SMPs and you think a B means they need to look into other careers? Those are just my two cents. If I listened to advice on here, I wouldn't have applied and gotten in.
I congratulate you on your success, but it is my schools own experience with our SMP (which uses the identical material as our COM students get) is that when the students get to below a 3.2ish, they struggle badly in our COM. This is why I always mention this in these fora.

So just a caveat.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

We deal in probabilities, but I'll tip my cap to anyone who believes in themselves, pushes forward, and gains support from the decision-makers to see your value.

Credit to your champions both on your SMP and the PCOM side for making some arguments to go beyond the numbers that decide most applicants' fates. These champions are your X factor, and PCOM should be very happy to have you. (I've been on both the advisor/advocate side and the admissions/advocate-to-adcom side to push the faculty to see applicants this way. It's not easy to do, but when we succeed, you can imagine how happy we are to give you news we know you would be ecstatic about.)

Defintely take Goro's advice to do whatever it takes to stay in medical school. Whatever resources PCOM offers you, TAKE IT. You got a well-earned and hard-fought chance to become a doctor and realize your dream, not a winning lottery ticket you won by chance. Become the inspiration that applicants will look up to as a sign of hope that they can also make it.

Last edited:
We deal in probabilities, but I'll tip my cap to anyone who believes in themselves, pushes forward, and gains support from the decision-makers to see your value.

Credit to your champions both on your SMP and the PCOM side for making some arguments to go beyond the numbers that decide most applicants' fates. These champions are your X factor, and PCOM should be very happy to have you. (I've been on both the advisor/advocate side and the admissions/advocate-to-adcom side to push the faculty to see applicants this way. It's not easy to do, but when we succeed, you can imagine how happy we are to give you news we know you would be ecstatic about.)

Defintely take Goro's advice to do whatever it takes to stay in medical school. Whatever resources PCOM offers you, TAKE IT. You got a well-earned and hard-fought chance to become a doctor and realize your dream, not a winning lottery ticket you won by chance. Become the inspiration that applicants will look up to as a sign of hope that they can also make it.
Thank you for the kind words!! Appreciate it