3.17 sGPA 3.28 cGPA. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpatel4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated 4 years ago.
MCAT still pending.

GPA breakdown:
Freshman: 3.06, 2.94, overall: 3.0
Sophomore: 4.0, 2.59, overall: 3.14
Junior: 3.35, 3.73, overall: 3.27
Senior: 3.41, 3.29, overall: 3.29

Rigorous coursework.
I did have a few rough patches through out my college career. Grandmother on one side almost died from lymphoma. Grandmother on other side died from lung cancer. Father had quadruple CABG. Worked part time through school. South-Asian Male.

Extracurricular:
Habitat for Humanity 3 years in college to present - Project Leader
Member of DHH Emergency Volunteer for the state
Volunteered during natural disaster crisis.
Volunteered for free community clinic
100's of hours shadowing including Otolaryngologist, Orthopedist (Sports and Spinal), Podiatrist, Family Practitioner/Internal Medicine. Plan on shadowing few other doctors.
Assisted and observed operating room surgeries/procedures.
1000's of hours of patient contact.
Medical Assistant for 2.5 years
Deans List

Hobbies:
self-trained guitar player, ultimate frisbee, build and troubleshoot computers, travelling

5-6 strong LOR's from physicians and manager from current job/shadowing.
Maybe 1-2 decent LOR's from science professor.
1 strong LOR from non-science professor.

Any ideas on my chances? Or suggestions for schools? Plan on applying broadly.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated 4 years ago.
MCAT still pending.

GPA breakdown:
Freshman: 3.06, 2.94, overall: 3.0
Sophomore: 4.0, 2.59, overall: 3.14
Junior: 3.35, 3.73, overall: 3.27
Senior: 3.41, 3.29, overall: 3.29

Rigorous coursework.
I did have a few rough patches through out my college career. Grandmother on one side almost died from lymphoma. Grandmother on other side died from lung cancer. Father had quadruple CABG. Worked part time through school. South-Asian Male.

Extracurricular:
Habitat for Humanity 3 years in college to present - Project Leader
Member of DHH Emergency Volunteer for the state
Volunteered during natural disaster crisis.
Volunteered for free community clinic
100's of hours shadowing including Otolaryngologist, Orthopedist (Sports and Spinal), Podiatrist, Family Practitioner/Internal Medicine. Plan on shadowing few other doctors.
Assisted and observed operating room surgeries/procedures.
1000's of hours of patient contact.
Medical Assistant for 2.5 years
Deans List

Hobbies:
self-trained guitar player, ultimate frisbee, build and troubleshoot computers, travelling

5-6 strong LOR's from physicians and manager from current job/shadowing.
Maybe 1-2 decent LOR's from science professor.
1 strong LOR from non-science professor.

Any ideas on my chances? Or suggestions for schools? Plan on applying broadly.

Thanks!

great extracurrics/volunteering.

your gpa still isn't good enough, will raise questions.
you need a 33 or above to get into some good schools.
probably a 35 will get you in some doors.

What state are you a resident of?

What were your full-length AAMC practice score averages for the MCAT?

Are you trying to apply this cycle?

Your GPA is very low for MD, but a strong MCAT score might help adcom's overlook that given your strong EC's. However, I'm most worried about the lack of recent coursework. Someone in your situation should be taking some science coursework, either through a post-bacc or maybe even a SMP, so that you can prove you are ready for the rigors of the intense science curriculum of medical school. This is especially important since your undergraduate GPA's do not show that you can handle it. It sounds like the college years were rough for you, but the story to explain your grades is not good enough.

Your state school(s) will probably be your best bet, depending on your state of residence. Other than that, you should add some DO schools as well.

Is your GPA better if you use AACOMAS's grade replacement policy?

TBH, you don't need more shadowing unless you are really interested in seeing a few other specialties.

I'm a little confused about your senior year GPA's. How is it possible to have a 3.41 then a 3.29 yet your average for that year is 3.29:confused:

[ETA: Oh, I think you mean that your cumulative GPA rose to a 3.29 after that semester. Got it.]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

The GPA is very low, and it doesn't help that you don't have any recent coursework. Since you graduated 4 years ago, adcoms are going to really question your readiness for medical school. I don't think this cycle is feasible, bu if you must, it is imperative you get a really high MCAT score to compensate. DO seems to be the better chance, so i'd apply there as well.

Hi,

The GPA is very low, and it doesn't help that you don't have any recent coursework. Since you graduated 4 years ago, adcoms are going to really question your readiness for medical school. I don't think this cycle is feasible, bu if you must, it is imperative you get a really high MCAT score to compensate. DO seems to be the better chance, so i'd apply there as well.
:thumbup: Im gonna be honest, it dont look good AT ALL. If you had some recent course work then thats a different story but you dont and thats a double wammy. I wouldnt apply anytime soon until you take some more classes and ace them. I would love say "your ok apply broadly and DO" but you cant compete with the DO students at this point. Summary: Do a postbacc and research and kick ass.

Quite honestly, if you want it enough you'll get in somewhere but so much of all this is luck. I don't think you can buff yourself any more than you already are. Just have a few people look over your PS and good luck.

I was 32yo, had a 3.1 (grad school grades don't count) and a 36MCAT: got 1 interview and 1 acceptance so I made it in by the skin of my teeth. They gave me a 4 year full ride and I have crushed every test (Step I: 253), and honored every block since then. So really, it is all a gamble and the ADCOMS have NO idea how to pick someone who will be a good doctor.

Don't listen to the other people. Apply In-state MD and DO. and make sure you destroy the MCAT.

kill the mcat and I think you have a great shot if you apply broadly. Don't get too down on yourself.

gl!

edit: Definitely consider DO schools too. :cool:

Thank you everyone for the quick and informative responses. I am a Louisiana resident currently working full-time. I do have a question about post-bacc classes. I used the amcas GPA calculator, and according to this, I would need to take 8 classes (upper division BCPM I'm assuming) to bring both of my GPA's up to 3.3. This would be hard due to the fact that I need to work full-time to make ends meet. How much do I need to raise my GPA to give myself a chance? Also, what minimum MCAT score should I shoot for?

I know that it's probably not a good idea to apply this application cycyle, but if I should give it a try, then I am willing to. I am also looking into possibly applying for an SMP spot if this helps my chances.

The problem with applying this cycle is you have a downward trend along with the really low GPA. I really think applying now will be risky, but you can give it a shot if you want. For the MCAT, I would aim high. You should at the very least try to get a 32.

Quite honestly, if you want it enough you'll get in somewhere but so much of all this is luck. I don't think you can buff yourself any more than you already are. Just have a few people look over your PS and good luck.

I was 32yo, had a 3.1 (grad school grades don't count) and a 36MCAT: got 1 interview and 1 acceptance so I made it in by the skin of my teeth. They gave me a 4 year full ride and I have crushed every test (Step I: 253), and honored every block since then. So really, it is all a gamble and the ADCOMS have NO idea how to pick someone who will be a good doctor.

Congrats

Any more advice would help.

Looking through the forums, I am now considering doing an SMP. Unless I have a chance at an allopathic MD school.

Have you engaged in additional postbac work since last summer?
Did you take the MCAT, or at least enough practice tests to enable a score prediction?
Do you live in a state with a lenient public school or have you considering adding some DO med schools to your list?
Would an SMP be cost prohibitive?

If you want an informed opinion, more information is needed.

I take back my previous advice.
Very low shot at MD since the GPA is just too low.
Do an SMP or take a gap year to improve stats. EC's are looking very good however.

OP I'm sorry about your family problems during college. I think that even with a strong MCAT you're looking at an uphill battle because you don't have an upward trend. Academically you haven't really proven anything to ADCOM but you still have a chance. I was in your same exact situation, low GPA, I had extenuating circumstances but an extreme upward trend for at least 2 years. I would highly suggest that you raise your GPA to at least a 3.3 and utilize the SMP. You could ease your work load by maybe trying to survive off student loans and fully committing to your education? I've seen many do it. If you could nail the SMP get a GPA > 3.7 and score > 32 on the MCAT you might have a chance considering you have amazing ECs. Applying right now with such a low GPA (and no upward trend) would be a huge risk financially and emotionally. Of course if you score > 35 on the MCAT you could possibly catch someones eye but everyone knows scoring > 35 is not a walk in the park especially when you're working. If you do decide to apply this year I would suggest applying VERY broadly and early. Please read my MDapp since it gives advice specifically to individuals with low GPAs. Let us know if you need anything else :thumbup:

OP I'm sorry about your family problems during college. I think that even with a strong MCAT you're looking at an uphill battle because you don't have an upward trend. Academically you haven't really proven anything to ADCOM but you still have a chance. I was in your same exact situation, low GPA, I had extenuating circumstances but an extreme upward trend for at least 2 years. I would highly suggest that you raise your GPA to at least a 3.3 and utilize the SMP. You could ease your work load by maybe trying to survive off student loans and fully committing to your education? I've seen many do it. If you could nail the SMP get a GPA > 3.7 and score > 32 on the MCAT you might have a chance considering you have amazing ECs. Applying right now with such a low GPA (and no upward trend) would be a huge risk financially and emotionally. Of course if you score > 35 on the MCAT you could possibly catch someones eye but everyone knows scoring > 35 is not a walk in the park especially when you're working. If you do decide to apply this year I would suggest applying VERY broadly and early. Please read my MDapp since it gives advice specifically to individuals with low GPAs. Let us know if you need anything else :thumbup:
I must say, I really do like your MDapps. Gives me hope and a boatload of info on the application cycle as I have a similar GPA to yours, even though I have 1-2 more years left. :thumbup:

I must say, I really do like your MDapps. Gives me hope and a boatload of info on the application cycle as I have a similar GPA to yours, even though I have 1-2 more years left. :thumbup:

Thank you!