3.18c/2.9s, Going for second bachelors, DO acceptable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TallPreMed

Most people on here are nice. I'm not.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated in 2013 from a strong academic Liberal arts school with a 3.18c/2.9s in health communication and a minor in psych. Played basketball while at UG and had work study as well (sleep and social life were nonexistent). I always wanted to be a doctor but I was too immature to get my sh* together up until my junior year, which was then too late to recover at a 45k a year school. I also worked at a camp for the visually impaired during the summers that was operated by the Cleveland Sight Center.

I currently work at a hospice agency as a liaison- I start the transition process for patients as they get ready to come onto hospice/home health care, working within hospitals, SNFs, ALFs, PCHs and doctors offices. I love what I do and I make great money, but the more I work within healthcare the more I realize I need to pursue my dream of becoming a physician.

I work under our team physicians and medical director, our medical director has started to mentor me now that he knows I want to pursue med school. I'm working on getting shadowing opportunities through my connections with him.

I am now starting in spring 2016 on my second bachelors at Pitt. I've Would be in Natural Sciences, I need roughly 35 credits, which if I get all As I will boost my GPA up to a 3.35 (not sure what sciences would be yet).

No MCAT yet but I took the GRE in college and scored in the 85th percentile, ACT 95th percentile. I am aware there's not much of a correlation but I am a pretty good test taker.

So if I am able to boost my GPA with a second bachelors in natural sciences, decent MCAT, have my work experience in hospice, and shadow a few doctors over the next 2 years, are my chances decent for getting into a DO school?

I am aware there are a lot of ifs there, but my low GPA due to me not having my act together as an 18/19 year old makes me paranoid. Would like to get into LECOM at Seton Hill.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

"So if I am able to boost my GPA with a second bachelors in natural sciences, decent MCAT, have my work experience in hospice, and shadow a few doctors over the next 2 years, are my chances decent for getting into a DO school?"

OP, you don't need a second bachelors, just retake classes you received C+ or below to boost your GPA. (or even B- and maybe Bs if you have the time).

Rock that MCAT, earn some shadowing hours from 2 or 3 DOs, get good LoRs, and you should be fine! An upward trend and a decent MCAT will look favorably upon you.

"I am aware there are a lot of ifs there, but my low GPA due to me not having my act together as an 18/19 year old makes me paranoid. Would like to get into LECOM at Seton Hill."

It will be difficult to pinpoint a school and say, "This is the school". DO schools are getting more competitive and selective each year. In 2 or 3 years, it will be very common for many DO schools to get 6000+ applicants, and not to mention the average matriculant MCAT/GPA will probably stand at ~ 510/3.5.

It's good to have a dream school, but apply broadly and grasp all the opportunity that comes to you. Good luck!

OP as @Goro always say"there are schools that love reinvention" and you sound like a good example IF you get everything together. Have you taken your med school pre reqs? Is that where the 2.9 sGPA came from? I agree with the above poster- you don't need another degree. A DIY post bacc should be enough as long as you get all As. Retake all of your C/D/F science classes and some high level science classes and get As. This will really help your GPA for DO. Oh and just because you have been a good test taker in the past doesn't mean you will do well on the MCAT. You will have to study hard for several months to slay this beast. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
OP as @Goro always say"there are schools that love reinvention" and you sound like a good example IF you get everything together. Have you taken your med school pre reqs? Is that where the 2.9 sGPA came from? I agree with the above poster- you don't need another degree. A DIY post bacc should be enough as long as you get all As. Retake all of your C/D/F science classes and some high level science classes and get As. This will really help your GPA for DO. Oh and just because you have been a good test taker in the past doesn't mean you will do well on the MCAT. You will have to study hard for several months to slay this beast. Good luck.

I hate that I sounded so flippant regarding the MCAT. I know I'm going to have to study my ass off for it, but because I am confident in my study skills and the effort I will put into it, I feel that I will do well.

The last true science course I took was my sophomore year (2010) - medical terminology (A). I will be starting back with all science courses starting this spring and am determined to get all As to reach my goals.

Reactions: 1 user