3.19 GPA, 497 MCAT, to 3.41 cGPA (4.0 PB) and 506

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueScar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT WITH NEW MCAT: I'm a Texan resident;

So here is my deal: I had a strong GPA of 4.0 my freshman year, but it all went to hell when I started working later in my sophomore year. I received a bunch of B's and C's following, and ended up graduating with a 3.19 GPA in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I also got an MCAT of 497, which I stupidly took without even studying for it.

I decided to wake up and take school more seriously, since I didn't want to end up with a dead end job going no where. I took a bunch of post bacc courses at a 4 year university for the next 3 semesters: I have gotten A's in each of them.

I retook :
biochemistry (honors),
physics 2,
organic chemistry 2
I got A's in all of them (I had originally gotten C's in them in my undergrad).

I also took the following science courses: (all upper level except A&P)
biochemistry 2,
clinical biochemistry,
cell biology,
virology,
anatomy and physiology (100 level) + lab

My non science courses included:
health and prevention of disease
abnormal psychology,
physiological pyschology,
medical terminology
intro to nutrition

I am set to take a fourth semester of courses which will include:
Neuroscience
Nucleic Acids
4000 level KINE class
Pysch Stats
a 4000 level "future of energy" course I wanted to take for fun
These would conclude my journey of about 54 post bacc credits with A's in ALLof them.

MCAT:
I got a 497 about 3 years ago, but I just got my scores from this January.
The new score is 506 (126 Chem/phys, 124 CARS, 127 bio, 129 pysch)

I have about 200 hours of clinical volunteering experience at a clinic for the homeless, 80 hours of shadowing, easily 600 plus hours of research (from both my failed undergrad and postbacc).

I am also almost a certified scribe, and will be working as a research intern with my PI this following year.

So I want to apply to all the MD and DO medical schools in Texas (my state of residence), and possibly 5+ DO schools nationally. What do y'all think? Do I have a chance?
Also, should I retake the MCAT for a higher score? I know my chem/phys will go higher. I had a month to study for this last one.

Members don't see this ad.

So here is my deal: I had a strong GPA of 4.0 my freshman year, but it all went to hell when I started working later in my sophomore year. I received a bunch of B's and C's following, and ended up graduating with a 3.19 GPA in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I also got an MCAT of 497, which I stupidly took without even studying for it.

I decided to wake up and take school more seriously, since I didn't want to end up with a dead end job going no where. I took a bunch of post bacc courses at a 4 year university for the next 3 semesters: I have gotten A's in each of them.

I retook :
biochemistry (honors),
physics 2,
organic chemistry 2

biochemistry 2,
clinical biochemistry,
cell biology,
virology,

abnormal psychology,
medical terminology
intro to nutrition

Neuroscience
Nucleic Acids
4000 level KINE class
Pysch Stats
These would conclude my journey of about 54 post bacc credits with A's in ALLof them.

MCAT:

I have about 200 hours of clinical volunteering experience at a clinic for the homeless, 80 hours of shadowing, easily 600 plus hours of research (from both my failed undergrad and postbacc).

I am also almost a certified scribe, and will be working as a research intern with my PI this following year.

So I want to apply to all the MD and DO medical schools in Texas (my state of residence), and possibly 5+ DO schools nationally. What do y'all think? Do I have a chance?
Also, should I retake the MCAT for a higher score? I know my chem/phys will go higher. I had a month to study for this last one.
What is your GPA in the PB courses?

if you gunning for the TX MD schools, you will need to significantly raise your MCAT score. You should be fine for any DO schools and will nee dot apply to > 5. More like 10. Start list with UIW and TCOM. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, ICOM and BCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and has a too small a rotations base, it seems.

Reactions: 1 user

I retook :
biochemistry (honors),
physics 2,
organic chemistry 2

biochemistry 2,
clinical biochemistry,
cell biology,
virology,

abnormal psychology,
medical terminology
intro to nutrition

Neuroscience
Nucleic Acids
4000 level KINE class
Pysch Stats

MCAT:

URM or no? Low SES?

Members don't see this ad :)

if you gunning for the TX MD schools, you will need to significantly raise your MCAT score. You should be fine for any DO schools and will nee dot apply to > 5. More like 10. Start list with UIW and TCOM. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, ICOM and BCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and has a too small a rotations base, it seems.
All the courses I listed have been done as a postbacc

Oh, and I got all A's so 3.96

MCAT:
Your MCAT is still weighing you down for MD admissions. A MD acceptance is still possible, but I would not bank on it since your overall stats are still below average for ORM applicants. You should be fine for DO though as Goro mentioned. For MD admissions, your best bet will be at schools that reward reinvention (I defer to @Goro and @Faha for these recommendations). Apply broadly when you are ready, hope for the best and prepare for the worst (general advice for all applicants).

Last edited:
Almost same stats ORM, ranked to match
You will need a huge story of success beyond numbers to pull this off, my fight was super hard but made it

Reactions: 1 users
For MD, chances best with TX schools.

And DO, as mentioned above
Would you think I would still need to retake my MCAT to have a chance at Texan MD schools? Thank you for the replies by the way.

I recommend it
Sorry to keep bothering you but one more question; if I decide to stick with a DO school in Texas, would my 506 be ok? Thanks so much one again.

Sorry to keep bothering you but one more question; if I decide to stick with a DO school in Texas, would my 506 be ok? Thanks so much one again.

Apply to all three Texas DO schools and then reasonably broadly outside of Texas (10?).

I don't think there are any guarantees for you inside of Texas, but your stats should at least get you a look.

I'm going to note: that 3.2 undergraduate GPA... you are probably okay with DO programs, but I would network with them to be sure. MD schools even in-state … I would make sure your application would be considered with your postbac 3.41 and courses (if indeed they were all A's) having heavier weight. You didn't really mention what you calculate are your final oGPA, sGPA, and BCPM, so I'm still a little wary that just fixing your MCAT makes you desirable with MD schools.

Hi Goro,
I recently got a "recommend with reservation" by the premed committee. I have no letter from a DO, although my PI who is an MD has talked at DO schools, and knows the DO philosophy very well. I am worried due to the committee letter. What do you think?
Thanks so much once again.
Do NOT Use the committee letter!!! Your MD LOR will be fine at most schools, including mine.

A recommend with reservations would be lethal at my school

Since my letter writers have submitted to the packet, do I have to go to each one and... well I'm not so sure. The individual letters are made for the med schools, so is the committee able to send the letters as a packet without any committee letter/decision whatsoever?
I don't know about the logistics of submission. But yes, you're going to have to talk to those LOR writers who will give you good LORs separately.

Unless you're willing to kiss your medical career goodbye

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to note: that 3.2 undergraduate GPA... you are probably okay with DO programs, but I would network with them to be sure. MD schools even in-state … I would make sure your application would be considered with your postbac 3.41 and courses (if indeed they were all A's) having heavier weight. You didn't really mention what you calculate are your final oGPA, sGPA, and BCPM, so I'm still a little wary that just fixing your MCAT makes you desirable with MD schools.
Sorry, I was going over the thread and forgot to respond to you. My uGPA was 3.19, PB was 3.946, which brought my cGPA to a 3.46 (AACOMAS) or a 3.44 (TMDSAS). Total sGPA hovers around 3.4. I recently got an II at ACOM, and hopefully more in the future!

Since my letter writers have submitted to the packet, do I have to go to each one and... well I'm not so sure. The individual letters are made for the med schools, so is the committee able to send the letters as a packet without any committee letter/decision whatsoever?
No, the committee recommendation letter will be included with your additional letters if it is sent from the committee or advising office.