WAMC- ORM - 3.19u GPA, 3.08sGPA, 4.0 pbGPA, 505 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolHopeful56

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I would love some help with my school list. I am verified by AACOMAS but still waiting for AMCAS and TMDSAS. The following is an overview of my application. I took care of my parents and worked through college but found better strategies and learned to not overwhelm myself with too many activities during my postbacc in TX while still working full-time (gainfully employed so am considered a TX resident now).
  • AACOMAS: 3.19uGPA, 3.08sGPA, 4.0 post-bacc GPA with 39 credits
    • Worked through college and supported my parents due to financial and medical hardships.
  • MCAT: 506 --> 505 (all my practice FLs were 511-518 so I don't know what happened here)
  • TX resident but lived in MI till completing undergrad. Lived in TX since then for 2.5 years and did post-bacc here
  • ORM - Asian
  • 1st Gen Immigrant/College Student
  • Clinical experience:
    • 3600 hours as PCT (ongoing but only when the hospital is short-staffed)
    • 720 hours as patient admission/registration
    • 1200 hours as scribe
  • Non-Clinical Employment:
    • 468 hours as a cardiac monitor tech (ongoing)
    • 1080 hours regional operations manager for a caregiver company
  • Research: 1000 hours, 2 posters
  • Shadowing: 50 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • 32 hours as an administrative hospice volunteer (ongoing)
    • 100 hours as a crisis volunteer
  • Leadership/Mentoring:
    • 25 hours Honors mentor
    • 400 hours VP and President of a club over 4 years
  • Teaching/Tutoring:
    • 2500 hours as a tutor and tutoring manager combined
    • 350 hours as a supplemental instructor
  • Disadvantaged/FAP for AMCAS and maybe TMDSAS
Applying to all Michigan schools
Applying all TX schools since it's only one fee but TCOM is my preferred school since it's close to me
DMUCOM
KCUCOM
ATSUKCOM

Mainly looking for DO schools since I probably won't get into any MD but I would appreciate any and all recommendations!

I would love a bigger school list to increase my chances though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So your history says you applied twice before and asked about your chances both times then. What has improved significantly since your last WAMC's, and have you taken any advice from us? Have you done networking with TCOM or any other Texas schools since you moved?

I'm still trying to figure out your classification of activities as non-clinical experience vs. non-clinical volunteering (you probably mean non-clinical or clinical-adjacent employment. I would like something showing service orientation, and ideally over 150 total hours.

I do think you're in a better spot for DO though. I'll defer to others to give you lists.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for responding! I am actually applying for the first time now. I honestly had forgotten that I posted on here before but I just went back and looked at my old posts. I did see the recommended school lists but with my lower MCAT than I had predicted (stupid me!) I am wondering what schools I should actually apply to. Since my prior posts, I have done a postbacc (4.0 GPA, 39 credits) and have continued getting healthcare experience. I also started volunteering at a local hospice and have changed residencies from MI to TX.

Yes I did accidentally put "non-clinical experience" instead of "employment" but I fixed it now. Thank you for pointing it out!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
MSUCOM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

Apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
MSUCOM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
I am also working on my AACOMAS list; what was the thought process behind selecting these specific schools if you dont mind me asking?

Those are the mainly the well established DO schools and you could receive interviews at any of them with your stats.
Do DO schools have less/similar IS bas that ive heard MDs do? Im a TX resident so we have 3 DO, but am thinking of adding more programs this weekend potentially.

Those are the mainly the well established DO schools and you could receive interviews at any of them with your stats.
I agree! So, be very careful about the written portions of the application so that you gain, on top of these metrics, from your personal statement and secondaries. Your first generation story should be very carefully written and demonstrate how it dovetails with wanting to be a doctor, in whatever manner is your truth.

Reactions: 1 users