3.2 AACOMAS; 512 MCAT: SCHOOL LIST HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hernandez5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So my cGPA without retakes is a wretched 2.88, postbacc and retakes makes my AACOMAS 3.19. 512 MCAT. GA Resident; Puerto Rican. Was advised to apply EDP to one of my MD state schools by their dean of admissions (which has been my primary advisor through this whole process), but my chances are looking like ~30% according to table 25. If this falls through, I want to apply to about 10 osteopathic schools.

I need help making a list according to my stats and personality. So far I have

PCOM-GA*
ACOM
VCOM-AUBURN, CC, VC
PCOM-PA
LE-COM

I went to school in Atlanta and commuted all my undergrad. I think it would be nice to have that campus-feel for this last bit of professional school, but is not a must. I chose schools close to home, but I am willing to go anywhere really, as long as I get a quality education. It would just be a plus to be able to easily visit the only family I have in the states. I know my stats are not impressive, so I understand that my choices are limited. Any input is welcome!

*I was a little underwhelmed at the PCOM-GA campus, but didn't really get a chance to take the full tour. Also, it would be nice to get a little ways from home as I have been living in the same city forever. A change of scenery would be nice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. So my cGPA without retakes is a wretched 2.88, postbacc and retakes makes my AACOMAS 3.19. 512 MCAT. GA Resident; Puerto Rican. Was advised to apply EDP to one of my MD state schools by their dean of admissions (which has been my primary advisor through this whole process), but my chances are looking like ~30% according to table 25. If this falls through, I want to apply to about 10 osteopathic schools.

PCOM-GA*
ACOM
VCOM-AUBURN, CC, VC
PCOM-PA
LE-COM

I went to school in Atlanta and commuted all my undergrad. I think it would be nice to have that campus-feel for this last bit of professional school, but is not a must. I chose schools close to home, but I am willing to go anywhere really, as long as I get a quality education. It would just be a plus to be able to easily visit the only family I have in the states. I know my stats are not impressive, so I understand that my choices are limited. Any input is welcome!

*I was a little underwhelmed at the PCOM-GA campus, but didn't really get a chance to take the full tour. Also, it would be nice to get a little ways from home as I have been living in the same city forever. A change of scenery would be nice :)

Maybe @Goro can help you with a list but it sounds like you will get into your state school if the dean of admissions encouraged you to apply.

Well, the dean of admissions also reminded me that my GPA is not impressive, and rarely admitted. He told me my chances would be higher because EDP invites a higher percentage of interviews per applicant. I am just praying I get a chance to persuade the adcoms in an interview that I am indeed ready for medical school. However, if this falls through, I would rather go to a DO school here in US than go back to PR and do MD. Even though I am fluent in Spanish, I am way more comfortable having classes in English, and would like to stay in the continental US. [and would be way too late in the cycle to apply MD with my stats]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it will be more realistic to focus on DO schools.

Well, the dean of admissions also reminded me that my GPA is not impressive, and rarely admitted. He told me my chances would be higher because EDP invites a higher percentage of interviews per applicant. I am just praying I get a chance to persuade the adcoms in an interview that I am indeed ready for medical school. However, if this falls through, I would rather go to a DO school here in US than go back to PR and do MD. Even though I am fluent in Spanish, I am way more comfortable having classes in English, and would like to stay in the continental US. [and would be way too late in the cycle to apply MD with my stats]

I have similar stats (3.3, 32 old MCAT) and I'm applying to 16-18 DO schools.

@Goro, I absolutely agree. Do you think you can help me establish a list? What do you think of my current choices?

@pericardium, thanks for the input! Do you think we have a solid chance at an acceptance this year?

PCOM-GA*
ACOM
VCOM-AUBURN, CC, VC
PCOM-PA
LE-COM

Your chances aren't 30%. For low GPA applicants(say lower than 3.4-3.5 territory) those tables are rather misleading. Like Goro said focus on DO's. IF you want to do an MD application I wouldn't bother with anything beyond your state schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied EDP to a school with relatively lower stats than the rest of my state schools, and more congruency with my person. It was basically my super reach school. If that falls through, I am not wasting time with my other state schools as I would be applying very late in the cycle. I am applying broadly to DO as soon as I get a "release" from my EDP into the regular pool.

Does anyone have any DO schools I should absolutely stay away from/not waste money applying to?

I applied EDP to a school with relatively lower stats than the rest of my state schools, and more congruency with my person. It was basically my super reach school. If that falls through, I am not wasting time with my other state schools as I would be applying very late in the cycle. I am applying broadly to DO as soon as I get a "release" from my EDP into the regular pool.

Does anyone have any DO schools I should absolutely stay away from/not waste money applying to?

If I were you I would fill out the application and submit to one DO school so you can get verification underway.

@TUVIX, I was thinking of that but I thought it was 'frowned upon' if I am EDP to another program.

what is your sGPA?

@TUVIX, I was thinking of that but I thought it was 'frowned upon' if I am EDP to another program.

I don't think it matters in your situation because its not like you are applying to a second MD school. Its a separate system. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds like you want to stay in the tri-state area. I'd add the NY DO schools to your list. Maybe KCU for another high tier Midwest DO school somewhat close to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you want to stay in the tri-state area. I'd add the NY DO schools to your list. Maybe KCU for another high tier Midwest DO school somewhat close to you.
KCU has 3.25-3.35 cut off GPA, NY average is higher than 3.4

Edit: Op, add WVSOM and Lincoln

~3.7 if you count my retakes as only attempts. ~3.4 including first attempts.
So it is 3.7, I think you are worrying to much about it. Add to your list CUSOM, WVSOM,KYCOM,KCU

PCOM-GA*
ACOM
VCOM-AUBURN, CC, VC
PCOM-PA
LE-COM

Your chances are good for all DO schools. I would just stay away from the state schools or ones with bias (kycom, wvsom,msu, osu,Tcom etc). I don't really know what area you want to be in but I would recommend looking into:

Touro NY
Ccom
PCOM pa
Nsu
Nyit
KCU
DMU
UNECOM

Of those I know Pcom PA / Nsu/ nyit have a campus feel and touro/LECOM / pcom ga doesn't. Not sure about the others. These schools will all provide a quality education.

Where do I find a list of DO schools with hard cut offs/ in-state bias?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Out of state intake of the schools in bold above is much higher than the one your recommending
OP, check this link http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014_MatCOMState.pdf?sfvrsn=6

IS/ OOS percentage isn't complete enough to make a decision. A more complete way of looking at this would be number of applicants from out of state and in state and percentages accepted and average grades for OOS applicants vs IS. If percentages alone were the only measure you judged state biases you would assume nyit favors in state alot but in reality there are just alot of NY pre meds looking to stay in ny mixed in with some bias (probably because they think they are mors likely to attend. Nyit is private) Also I was talking about biases which also includes tuition/rural medicine/ and residency.

That link says msu com is 92% instate. Also oos tuition is insane. Not worth applying there unless you're 1) instate 2)from Canada

WVSOM is a state school and all state schools have bias towards their residents. Additionally the tuition isn't worth it if your oos. I would bet wv doesn't have that many applicants so it isnt surprising they have low IS numbers. But I wouldn't pay 50 grand for wvsom when instate folks pay 20 unless it was my only option.

KYCOM definitely has bias. Good amount in state plus they seem to be more focused on rural medicine. OP didn't mention an interest in that.

http://www.upike.edu/College-of-Osteopathic-Medicine/about/mission_history

While all DO schools emphasive rural care some do way more than others. Generally those that are in less dense areas are more focused on that.

OP would probably get info wvsom and kycom despite biases (due to high MCAT) but overall unless OP wants rural med I don't think OP should attend those schools based on what OP said.

Last edited:
IS/ OOS percentage isn't complete enough to make a decision. A more complete way of looking at this would be number of applicants from out of state and in state and percentages accepted and average grades for OOS applicants vs IS. If percentages alone were the only measure you judged state biases you would assume nyit favors in state alot but in reality there are just alot of NY pre meds looking to stay in ny mixed in with some bias (probably because they think they are mors likely to attend. Nyit is private) Also I was talking about biases which also includes tuition/rural medicine/ and residency.

That link says msu com is 92% instate. Also oos tuition is insane. Not worth applying there unless you're 1) instate 2)from Canada

WVSOM is a state school and all state schools have bias towards their residents. Additionally the tuition isn't worth it if your oos. I would bet wv doesn't have that many applicants so it isnt surprising they have low IS numbers. But I wouldn't pay 50 grand for wvsom when instate folks pay 20 unless it was my only option.

KYCOM definitely has bias. Good amount in state plus they seem to be more focused on rural medicine. OP didn't mention an interest in that.

http://www.upike.edu/College-of-Osteopathic-Medicine/about/mission_history

While all DO schools emphasive rural care some do way more than others. Generally those that are in less dense areas are more focused on that.

OP would probably get info wvsom and kycom despite biases (due to high MCAT) but overall unless OP wants rural med I don't think OP should attend those schools based on what OP said.

I agree that OP only addressed his interest getting into a school with his stats. In general, if you're looking at it from financial/school mission perspective, then every school on his list is expensive (45-50K), but LECOM. Also, their mission is geared towards primary care/rural medicine(PCOM-ACOM-VCOM).

I agree that OP only addressed his interest getting into a school with his stats. In general, if you're looking at it from financial/school mission perspective, then every school on his list is expensive (45-50K), but LECOM. Also, their mission is geared towards primary care/rural medicine(PCOM-ACOM-VCOM).

Yes but those schools are private (hence the higher tuition) wheras wvsom isn't and msu is 80k a year. I wouldn't pay 50k for a state school unless it has a good hospital (wvsom doesn't). Especially when my classmates pay alot less.

Yes all those schools are rural focused but Pcom is much less (more scientific/research oriented)

http://www.pcom.edu/General_Information/PCOM_Mission_Statement/Mission_Statement.html

VCOM and ACOM are definitely rural focused but based on what I have seen from other applicants its not as bad as kycom.

I would have revamped OPs list unless OP has a desire for rural medicine. OP seems to care about quality and more of a campus feel. I tried recommending schools based on OPs stats that I think would be a better fit.

Out of curiosity, did you apply EDP to Mercer?

@J Senpai Yes, it was Mercer. I figured it would be my best shot due to their lower stats/only accepting IS.
I would have revamped OPs list unless OP has a desire for rural medicine. OP seems to care about quality and more of a campus feel. I tried recommending schools based on OPs stats that I think would be a better fit.

What do you mean you would have revamped my list? I do not have a desire for rural or urban, but it is my understanding that someone in the urban setting will have better rotations? Please correct me if I am wrong. Like I said before, my main concern is quality of education. Also, if the university has a reputation for good research ops it would be a huge plus, but I guess I would add that to 'quality of education'.

Here is my list thus far then:

PCOM-GA*
ACOM
VCOM-AUBURN, CC, VC
PCOM-PA
LE-COM
Touro NY
NYiT
NSU
CCOM (60K!?)
KCU
DMU
UNECOM

Any thoughts?

As a Puerto Rican, have you considered the Puerto Rican Schools? Very good shot at acceptance there. Maybe LECOM Bradenton too?

I have, but the only one that would be worth it to me is UPR, and their avg GPA is 3.8 :confused:

@J Senpai Yes, it was Mercer. I figured it would be my best shot due to their lower stats/only accepting IS.

What do you mean you would have revamped my list? I do not have a desire for rural or urban, but it is my understanding that someone in the urban setting will have better rotations? Please correct me if I am wrong. Like I said before, my main concern is quality of education. Also, if the university has a reputation for good research ops it would be a huge plus, but I guess I would add that to 'quality of education'.

PCOM-GA*
ACOM
VCOM-AUBURN, CC, VC
PCOM-PA
LE-COM
Touro NY
NYiT
NSU
CCOM (60K!?)
KCU
DMU
UNECOM

Any thoughts?
So the Mercer dean of admissions encouraged you to apply EDP, even with the <3.0 sGPA? Do you have stellar ECs or something?

I have a <3.0 cGPA, not sGPA. I do have good ECs, specifically serving underserved and underprivileged populations in rural GA. All of my ECs are basically a reflection of Mercer's mission. He did not encourage me to apply EDP, but advised me that with my low GPA, EDP would be the best choice because I would have better chances (statistically) of getting an interview. If I get an interview, which I think is still a long shot, it would mean I get a chance to blow them out of the water in person. I can only hope though, Mercer has been my dream school since I began my postbacc.

PCOM-GA*
ACOM
VCOM-AUBURN, CC, VC
PCOM-PA
LE-COM
Touro NY
NYiT
NSU
CCOM (60K!?)
KCU
DMU
UNECOM

Any thoughts?

Is your sgpa above or below 3 including retakes? I thought it was a 3.7?

PCOM-GA*
ACOM
VCOM-AUBURN, CC, VC
PCOM-PA
LE-COM
Touro NY
NYiT
NSU
CCOM (60K!?)
KCU
DMU
UNECOM

Any thoughts?

Your aacomas GPA is 3.2 though right?

You might wanna cut out a school or two. NYIT and CCOM are expensive. I would probably cut them out unless you want to be in the ny or chi metro areas

Your aacomas GPA is 3.2 though right?

You might wanna cut out a school or two. NYIT and CCOM are expensive. I would probably cut them out unless you want to be in the ny or chi metro areas

Yes.

I just want to be in the best medical school I can get into. I don't want to drop two schools because they are expensive and them end up being the only ones that would have accepted me. If I get a couple of acceptances, then I would choose the cheaper one if the difference is 20k a year for sure.

Yes.

I just want to be in the best medical school I can get into. I don't want to drop two schools because they are expensive and them end up being the only ones that would have accepted me. If I get a couple of acceptances, then I would choose the cheaper one if the difference is 20k a year for sure.

Ok that being the case I think your list is fine but application fees will be alot! Good luck