WAMC/ Reapplicant 3.77/512 + School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BananaChill2

Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
You should keep your New Mexico residency. With your increased clinical and non clinical hours you should have more interviews this cycle. You also need a much larger and better school list and I suggest these:
New Mexico
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
ACOM
UIWSOM

OP: what do you think went wrong? Why do you feel your in state program rejected you? I doubt there are a lot of NM applicants so what feedback have you received? Where does your passion lie in becoming a physician? Do you have any community service to New Mexico communities?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should keep your New Mexico residency. With your increased clinical and non clinical hours you should have more interviews this cycle. You also need a much larger and better school list and I suggest these:
New Mexico
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
ACOM
UIWSOM
Thank you for your taking the time to suggest this school list @Faha. I will most certainly take a look through each of these schools. I will definitely keep my NM residency. With regards to California schools, since I went to undergrad there, does that count as in-state ties? Would it be worth it applying to schools there with my stats? Also, would you recommend me applying to a few schools like Tufts, which is a reach school technically speaking?

OP: what do you think went wrong? Why do you feel your in state program rejected you? I doubt there are a lot of NM applicants so what feedback have you received? Where does your passion lie in becoming a physician? Do you have any community service to New Mexico communities?

Last edited:
Thank you for your taking the time to suggest this school list @Faha. I will most certainly take a look through each of these schools. I will definitely keep my NM residency. With regards to California schools, since I went to undergrad there, does that count as in-state ties? Would it be worth it applying to schools there with my stats? Also, would you recommend me applying to a few schools like Tufts, which is a reach school technically speaking?
The UCs admit very few non residents with your stats ( even CA residents with your stats would have a difficult time receiving and acceptance)
The only CA schools worth trying is California University. You could try Tufts as a reach but they have a New England regional bias.

As you are finding out, state residency and regional preferences are part of mission fit that you must pay attention to and address n of your want to go there. Not having a lot of community service experience with populations from those areas can prevent you from getting an offer, even with high stats. Networking before applying could have saved you the costs of one application cycle.

Pay close attention to what the UNM team tells you for a shot at an offer. Do some networking with other schools to see if they accept similar first generation (from immigrants) students like yourself. Apply by June. Don't make the same unforced errors.

The UCs admit very few non residents with your stats ( even CA residents with your stats would have a difficult time receiving and acceptance)
The only CA schools worth trying is California University. You could try Tufts as a reach but they have a New England regional bias.
That makes sense. Thank you for explaining that to me. @Faha

As you are finding out, state residency and regional preferences are part of mission fit that you must pay attention to and address n of your want to go there. Not having a lot of community service experience with populations from those areas can prevent you from getting an offer, even with high stats. Networking before applying could have saved you the costs of one application cycle.

Pay close attention to what the UNM team tells you for a shot at an offer. Do some networking with other schools to see if they accept similar first generation (from immigrants) students like yourself. Apply by June. Don't make the same unforced errors.

I am definitely learning a lot about the process and how to navigate the US medical school system. I find it fascinating that there is much bias with geographic location. I plan on calling the admissions office of every medical school I apply to and asking as many questions as I can. And I will most certainly apply on time. Thank you for all the advice @Mr.Smile12