3.2 sGPA lots of extracarricular

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bill Wesley 123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.2 sGPA, have not taken the Mcat yet, am a Division one college athlete, speak fluent spanish and english, have patient hours,

What do you think are my chances and what do you think I should you? I really don't want to take any more classes and waste anymore time. I was planning on applying to the low tier medical schools in the U.S. but I was also thinking about apply to D.O. schools and Carribean MD schools for backup. What route do you think I should go?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.2 sGPA, have not taken the Mcat yet, am a Division one college athlete, speak fluent spanish and english, have patient hours,

What do you think are my chances and what do you think I should you? I really don't want to take any more classes and waste anymore time. I was planning on applying to the low tier medical schools in the U.S. but I was also thinking about apply to D.O. schools and Carribean MD schools for backup. What route do you think I should go?

youve basically given very little information about yourself. Cumulative gpa? URM? No mcat yet? Vague about your ECs? How does anyone know your chances when we dont know your stats? lol. But with a 3.2 sGPA your chances are prob not very good for any MD. Prob ok for some DO schools if you get a solid mcat.

Like Cole said, we'll need more info to help you.

I will say that as a former NCAA Div 1 rower myself, adcoms really do respect student-athletes. I don't think that student-athlete status would make up for a subpar sGPA in the eyes of an adcom, though. If your goal is to attend a DO school, you sound like a good candidate; you'd need to do very well on the MCAT to warrant MD admission, in my humble opinion.

Even with a very high mcat, adcom's will be very alarmed at the low GPA. You should probably consider DO's or maybe even Caribbean medical schools.

Caveat: explore some residency options first. If you go to caribbean schools, you will have difficult time competing for highly competitive residency such as anesthesiology and dermatology. For internal medicine, you should be fine if you end up choosing DO or CARIB MD route.

Another caveat: Carib MD and IMG must take a test for a test in order to be eligible for USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CS/CK.