DO WAMC: URM, cGPA 3.05, sGPA 3.2, 500 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Criscarter25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying mostly DO, HBCUs, and State Schools. My cGPA and sGPA was a 2.86 and a 2.45 respectively before I started my post-bacc work.
  1. AMCAS: cGPA:3.05 sGPA 3.05
  2. AACOMAS: cGPA:3.05 sGPA 3.2
  3. PbGPA: 3.5 (60 credits)
  4. 500 MCAT (124/125/125/126)
  5. SC resident
  6. African American Male
  7. Large Public University
  8. 800 hours nursing assistant/medication tech at an assisted living/rehab facility, 20 hours medical assistant at urgent care (recently started)
  9. No research experience
  10. 40 hours shadowing IM physician (MD)
  11. Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    Miscellaneous volunteering through Viking Early College program (100 hours)
    Tutoring early college students: (20 hours)
    Soup kitchen volunteer (200 hours)
  12. Employment History: Asset Protection Investigator (over 6000 hours, work for 3 years full time throughout undergraduate degree)
    YMCA Camp counselor ~550 hours
    Service Clerk (retail) - 1500 hours
    Paid tutoring for independent and early college students- 50 hours
Other Extracurricular Activities:
Viking Early College Student Body Vice President (150 hours)
Local lacrosse league- 100 hours

Other Acheivements:
Deans list (3 times)
Phi Theta Kappa HS
Alpha Lambda Delta HS
Viking Early College

Aimed for a 505+ but I literally could not break 500. All of my FLs were sub-500 and I was lucky enough to get a 500 on test day. Should I retake? Here is my school list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

MD list:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
MUSC
USC Columbia
USC Greenville

DO list:
ACOM
AZCOM
ARCOM
DMUCOM
UNECOM
TouroCOM (maybe?)
LMUDCOM
PCOM GA
PCOM SGA
Nova (all campuses)
Liberty
Incarnate Word
BCOM (all campuses)
Baptist Health Sciences
LECOM (all campuses)
Noorda
RVUCOM
UNECOM
West Virginia
William Carey
MCOM
NYITCOM (all campuses)
AT Still (all campuses)
Marian
CHSU
Western
KYCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your DO list is too long. I'll let others comment which ones work best for you. I would want to know your mission fit and if you have networked with mentoring organizations focused on helping Black physicians, especially African-American men.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MD list is good and realistic. For DO schools I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ARCOM
Noorda-COM
DUQCOM
Baptist Health Sciences (BUCOM)
For MD schools you could add these:
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
If you applying this year you need to submit your AMCAS application in the next week and all your secondaries by August.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ARCOM
Noorda-COM
DUQCOM
Baptist Health Sciences (BUCOM)
For MD schools you could add these:
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
If you applying this year you need to submit your AMCAS application in the next week and all your secondaries by August.
I believe DUQCOM and KCUCOM have minimum GPA requirements at a 3.2 cumulative GPA. I’m submitting my AMCAS tomorrow night.

Last edited:
I think your DO list is too long. I'll let others comment which ones work best for you. I would want to know your mission fit and if you have networked with mentoring organizations focused on helping Black physicians, especially African-American men.
I honestly agree. I wanted to apply as broad as possible to maximize my chances due to my low GPA and MCAT. Will probably cut 5-10 schools from the list that don’t align as well with my mission fit. I don’t necessarily know my “mission fit”. I aspire to mitigate mistrust that minority communities have for doctors. My app is primary care focused. I have networked and have been in contact with a physician who runs a mentoring program that assists in advocating for AA students to various admissions contacts.

I believe DUQCOM and KCUCOM have minimum GPA requirements at a 3.2 cumulative GPA. I’m submitting my AMCAS tomorrow night.
That may not be true for URM applicants and one current KCU-COM student recently posted here that the school wishes to increase the number of URM students.

That may not be true for URM applicants and one current KCU-COM student recently posted here that the school wishes to increase the number of URM students.
Oh, didn’t know that. Should I reach out to those schools and explain my situation? Also, should I apply to VCOM? I grew up about 10 minutes away from the school but they also have 3.2 cutoffs which I believe are pretty’s strict and high GPA averages, just don’t want to waste my money if it will be an auto-rejection.

Oh, didn’t know that. Should I reach out to those schools and explain my situation? Also, should I apply to VCOM? I grew up about 10 minutes away from the school but they also have 3.2 cutoffs which I believe are pretty’s strict and high GPA averages, just don’t want to waste my money if it will be an auto-rejection.
Yes, contact the schools. You could contact VCOM also since they have a strict GPA cutoff,

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both for your advice! I will update after the cycle is over with the results.