MD & DO 3.20sGPA/3.55GPA/28MCAT any chances?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BK Blaxta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I took my MCAT in May and applied in early October. (I wish I could apply early)

and here is my information

I am an Indiana resident.
Overall GPA: 3.55 (Upward trend)
Science GPA: 3.18-20
MCAT: 28 (Physical Science: 8, Verbal Reasoning: 10, Biological Science: 10)
Community Service: 5895 hours (2 + years)
Volunteer Work : 10 hours @ nursing home
Job Shadowing: 70 hours

I am a non-science major so I took the pre-requisite classes..I know my science GPA is really low. Applied for 21 schools - 10 MD , 11 DO. Finished Secondary Application about a month ago. I regret that I applied to so many MD schools because now I don't have much hope for MD schools since my grades are not very competitive, but I want to know if I stand a chance for any DO schools. I actually like DO schools better.. (my dad went to A.T. Still at Missouri )

I applied to Pikeville, West Virginia, Western, Michigan State, A.T. Still @ Missouri, Philadelphia College, Marian, Michigan State, etc. I heard from Midwestern Chicago a few days ago after my secondary application, but I did not get accepted there. Any thoughts or comments?!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT seems to be holding you back moreso than your GPA at MD schools, since you did mention having an upward trend. If you don't get in this cycle, you could consider a re-take. If you got to 30+ and continued your upward trend (especially sGPA), you might have a shot. You should stand a chance for DO schools, based on other comments that I've seen made about applicants with similar stats.

What does your nearly 6000 hours of community service consist of? Is a large part of it clinical in nature? What leadership positions have you held? IMO your extremely late application has really impacted your application cycle. And your sGPA and MCAT are very low for MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
outstanding chances for DO. I would add a few more schools to be safe though. ACOM, TUNCOM, LMU, AZCOM, SOMA, CUSOM, Touro-NY, and KCUMB are in your range.

outstanding chances for DO. I would add a few more schools to be safe though. ACOM, TUNCOM, LMU, AZCOM, SOMA, CUSOM, Touro-NY, and KCUMB are in your range.

I sure can add more schools that you listed but don't you think it's too late if I apply now..? or should I still apply ?? Thanks for your comment.

I sure can add more schools that you listed but don't you think it's too late if I apply now..? or should I still apply ?? Thanks for your comment.

you may end up with a scattering of accepts/waitlists since it is getting late, but applying to some of those will only widen your options.

you may end up with a scattering of accepts/waitlists since it is getting late, but applying to some of those will only widen your options.
Thank you so much for your advice! I will try and apply for a few more schools.

your sGPA and MCAT are a bit too low for MDs.... a 3.2 sGPA and 28 MCAT (each by itself) won't be a dealbreaker, but with both a low sGPA and a low MCAT, chances are not looking good. also you applied in october? that's a very late application.

you should have waited a year, raise that sGPA, retake the MCAT, and apply early. if you do not get into any schools this cycle, be sure to follow what i just said.

good luck

your sGPA and MCAT are a bit too low for MDs.... a 3.2 sGPA and 28 MCAT (each by itself) won't be a dealbreaker, but with both a low sGPA and a low MCAT, chances are not looking good. also you applied in october? that's a very late application.

you should have waited a year, raise that sGPA, retake the MCAT, and apply early. if you do not get into any schools this cycle, be sure to follow what i just said.

good luck

I actually graduated and won't be able to retake classes. :S What do you think about the DO schools?? If I don't get accepted this year I will reapply early next year.

I actually graduated and won't be able to retake classes. :S What do you think about the DO schools?? If I don't get accepted this year I will reapply early next year.

from a purely objective perspective, it seems that DO = MD, both crowning you the title of physicianship and granting you the ability to participate in a plethora of residencies. however, there is a bias towards the DO degree, and DO graduates don't have as many options as their MD counterparts.

from a purely objective perspective, it seems that DO = MD, both crowning you the title of physicianship and granting you the ability to participate in a plethora of residencies. however, there is a bias towards the DO degree, and DO graduates don't have as many options as their MD counterparts.
Even with a 35 mcat their chances for MD won't be that great.

Hello Everyone,

I took my MCAT in May and applied in early October. (I wish I could apply early)

I am a non-science major so I took the pre-requisite classes..I know my science GPA is really low. Applied for 21 schools - 10 MD , 11 DO. Finished Secondary Application about a month ago. I regret that I applied to so many MD schools because now I don't have much hope for MD schools since my grades are not very competitive, but I want to know if I stand a chance for any DO schools. I actually like DO schools better.. (my dad went to A.T. Still at Missouri )

I applied to Pikeville, West Virginia, Western, Michigan State, A.T. Still @ Missouri, Philadelphia College, Marian, Michigan State, etc. I heard from Midwestern Chicago a few days ago after my secondary application, but I did not get accepted there. Any thoughts or comments?!

Thanks!!
Is the job shadowing all with physicians (like your dad, which is perfectly acceptable)? Is your active clinical experience for 10 hours only, or is there a decent amount mixed into what you referred to as community service? Or from a job?

No go for MD schools (except, maybe IU), but definitely fine for DO. Be sure to have Marion on your list!!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!!

Is the job shadowing all with physicians (like your dad, which is perfectly acceptable)? Is your active clinical experience for 10 hours only, or is there a decent amount mixed into what you referred to as community service? Or from a job?

The job shadowing was all with physicians, both MDs and DOs. Yea...it's the clinical exposure was only 10 hours, but I have over two years worth of service with leadership positions as well as 3 years of employment, some which also has leadership experience.

No go for MD schools (except, maybe IU), but definitely fine for DO. Be sure to have Marion on your list!!

I really want to go to Marian. I actually heard from them last week saying that they put me on hold until they get my updated transcript. They did mention that my gpa is slightly lower than they automatically invite me for an interview. My concern is that my science gpa is not very high and I applied kind of late. :S My last semester's grade is fine except for a couple of lab classes. Out of seven classes I got all As except for two lab classes where I got a B and a C

For MD schools, I applied to Tulane, Rush, Morehouse, Western Michigan, etc. (I could not apply for IU :( because they require calculus and i didn't take calculus).

Thanks for your comment.

If you're a URM, then all of your MD schools might be possible, especially Morehouse. If not, the latter will appreciate your donation in the form of the app fee.

I think you'll be fine with Marion too, as is!

I really want to go to Marian. I actually heard from them last week saying that they put me on hold until they get my updated transcript. They did mention that my gpa is slightly lower than they automatically invite me for an interview. My concern is that my science gpa is not very high and I applied kind of late. :S My last semester's grade is fine except for a couple of lab classes. Out of seven classes I got all As except for two lab classes where I got a B and a C

For MD schools, I applied to Tulane, Rush, Morehouse, Western Michigan, etc. (I could not apply for IU :( because they require calculus and i didn't take calculus).

Thanks for your comment.

I fear schools may not feel you have had sufficient exposure to sick folks to have convincingly demonstrated that you know what you are getting yourself into in entering medicine as a career. With luck they will give you credit for what you've learned at the dinner table, but that doesn't substitute for what you learn about yourself during hands-on care.
The job shadowing was all with physicians, both MDs and DOs. Yea...it's the clinical exposure was only 10 hours, but I have over two years worth of service with leadership positions as well as 3 years of employment, some which also has leadership experience.

6000 CS hrs? Did you not hang out with friends...like ever?