MD & DO 3.25 ug gpa, 3.7postbacc sGPA, 503 mcat low verbal/CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

can.i.do.it

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

Here's my background. Im a CA resident who graduated from a UC school in 2010. I worked and did other things but decided to do a postbacc from 2015-2017.

I have 3 total mcat scores:
2009 23 (did not study)
2010 25 (slight improvement)
2016 503 with a CARS score of 124 being my lowest.

postbacc gpa is a 3.7 but my undergrad gpa was 3.25 and I have over 725 hours of volunteer exp (roughly half of that is in the Emergency room) and 80 hours of shadowing. 3 years of work experience in biotech/biopharma working in a laboratory. 6 months of which was as an intern doing internal research for the company.

I want to retake the MCAT again and am scheduled to do it in May. im not sure if that will help me so much from what Im reading since im already at 3 scores. I want to apply this cycle because I feel ready to matriculate and I can not afford to be a student for much longer. Im also 29 and have had experience with other aspects of life outside of academia. one of my parents was a DO and i am applying to DO programs because of my appreciation for what they offer as well as MD programs because I like some of the medical schools out there.

I really want to retake the mcat and have been preparing for it. scoring over 505 on all practice tests with improving CARS scores. will attempt #4 destroy my application?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your actual cGPA?

Regardless, low GPA + low MCAT scores across multiple retakes probably puts MD out of reach. I think (although you should probably ask this in th pre-DO forum) a 503 is okay for DO schools.

Do NOT retake a 503 unless you are 110% confident you can score significantly higher. Otherwise, you are risking far too much with the potential to gain very little.

The poor MCAT history rules out MD schools. Apply broadly to DO, especially targeting the newest schools.

And DO NOT retake the MCAT. You've hit your plateau, and it is unlikely that you will do any better.

hey guys,

Here's my background. Im a CA resident who graduated from a UC school in 2010. I worked and did other things but decided to do a postbacc from 2015-2017.

I have 3 total mcat scores:
2009 23 (did not study)
2010 25 (slight improvement)
2016 503 with a CARS score of 124 being my lowest.

postbacc gpa is a 3.7 but my undergrad gpa was 3.25 and I have over 725 hours of volunteer exp (roughly half of that is in the Emergency room) and 80 hours of shadowing. 3 years of work experience in biotech/biopharma working in a laboratory. 6 months of which was as an intern doing internal research for the company.

I want to retake the MCAT again and am scheduled to do it in May. im not sure if that will help me so much from what Im reading since im already at 3 scores. I want to apply this cycle because I feel ready to matriculate and I can not afford to be a student for much longer. Im also 29 and have had experience with other aspects of life outside of academia. one of my parents was a DO and i am applying to DO programs because of my appreciation for what they offer as well as MD programs because I like some of the medical schools out there.

I really want to retake the mcat and have been preparing for it. scoring over 505 on all practice tests with improving CARS scores. will attempt #4 destroy my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your actual cGPA?

Regardless, low GPA + low MCAT scores across multiple retakes probably puts MD out of reach. I think (although you should probably ask this in th pre-DO forum) a 503 is okay for DO schools.

Do NOT retake a 503 unless you are 110% confident you can score significantly higher. Otherwise, you are risking far too much with the potential to gain very little.
My actual cGPA comes out to a 3.33. I will try my best to improve the score and if its not going anywhere high enough like a 515+ i will just apply broadly.

I'm not convinced MD is the right path for you based on statistics right now. If you look at the MSAR, which provides matriculant information, a 503 is below the large majority of school's 10th percentile of accepted MCAT scores. A 503 equates to roughly a 27, which is unfortunately below most 10th percentiles.

Please listen to this next part, if you're going to put yourself through MCAT studying again for the fourth time, you need to take it seriously and be critical with yourself that you MUST improve and your application may depend on it. I suggest, if you can, take three months and devote as much time to the MCAT as you can, about 400 hours. Try not to do much else besides focus on the MCAT, it is healthy to do other things to keep your sanity, but realize that it is your fourth go around and this time nothing less than a 30 should be your goal. Who cares, shoot for a 515 and obsess over a 515. If you fall short and score a 509, you are in good shape.

If you're okay with D.O school, apply broadly and EARLY to as many schools as you an afford and I think you will have some luck there. But I challenge you to take the MCAT again and prove to yourself that you can score competitively enough for an M.D acceptance if you commit yourself.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much for the honest approach. I have been close to getting 510 + on my recent practice tests so i want to push myself a little more and make the 515 a target for sure. ive invested too much in this to give up and i will see it through. Im totally fine with DO or MD. I just dont want to gamble with the Caribbean options.
The poor MCAT history rules out MD schools. Apply broadly to DO, especially targeting the newest schools.

And DO NOT retake the MCAT. You've hit your plateau, and it is unlikely that you will do any better.
I will definitely apply broadly to DO and MD programs. I've invested and sacrificed a lot to see this goal and i will not give up.

I will try my best to improve the score and if its not going anywhere high enough like a 515+ i will just apply broadly.

Apply broadly where? To MD schools? I don't see you having a shot there and given the expense, I would not recommend even applying. You would merely be giving your money away. Focus on a well thought-out DO school list.

A 503 can get you into a DO school, so I'm not sure what the value of trying to improve your score would be. MORE IMPORTANTLY, you have three MCAT scores, two of which are probably too low for even DO schools. Not everyone is meant or capable of just studying harder to get a 515+. There is a reason why a 515 is 94th percentile!! And this is amongst very smart premeds studying very hard and giving the MCAT everything they have.

I'm not saying this to be mean so much as to emphasize why schools don't merely look at prior score attempts and dismiss them. Schools look at all your scores because taking the tests multiple times often shows a lack of insight into not just what the test is and what constitutes appropriate preparation, but a lack of introspection into your own knowledge base and aptitude on standard tests. Standard tests are not everyone's thing. That's fine! Your 503 shows DO schools that you cannot only work hard and persevere, but that you have the chops to pass the boards and do well on medical school tests. Do not potentially tarnish that. Focus on improving other areas of your app that will cost less and likely be more fulfilling (e.g. volunteering or research).

Reactions: 1 user
EDIT: a 3.3 GPA is below the 10th %ile for nearly all MD schools. If you're boning for MD, then ace (3.7+ GPA) a post-bac or SMP, AND MCAT as well (513+)

Thank you very much for the honest approach. I have been close to getting 510 + on my recent practice tests so i want to push myself a little more and make the 515 a target for sure. ive invested too much in this to give up and i will see it through. Im totally fine with DO or MD. I just dont want to gamble with the Caribbean options.

I will definitely apply broadly to DO and MD programs. I've invested and sacrificed a lot to see this goal and i will not give up.

Reactions: 1 user