3.26cGPA, 3.75sGPA, very weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrissy80472

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long-time reader/lurker of SDN, first-time poster. Hoping you guys can give me some good advice!

I originally started out pre-med as an undergrad (heart wasn't in it then though, I was mainly forced by my parents). Took a total of eight science courses and bombed all of them. I really didn't do too well in college overall due to too much partying/death of my dad. I graduated with a cGPA 2.46/sGPA 1.75 (horrific, I know).

I worked in public relations for a little over a year before I decided to make the career change to medicine. I took about 80 credits worth of post-bacc classes (retook most of my undergrad science courses and took the remainder of the prereqs along with upper level science courses). My overall post-bacc GPA is a 3.94.

Thanks to the DO forgiveness policy, my overall stats are now:
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.75
MCAT: 30N (9PS, 11VR, 10BS)

My concerns are that because I mainly only took science courses during my post-bacc, my cGPA is low and my non-sci GPA is still extremely low (2.93). I am also obviously kind of late in the application cycle. Also, my extracurriculars aren't that stellar:
-1 year working at a PR firm
-100+ hours shadowing two MDs
-1 year volunteering at a health clinic (no direct patient care though)
-Less than a year working as a tutor at school

My DO application should be complete and sent out before the end of this week (transcripts have already been received by AACOMAS). Do you guys think I have a legitimate shot at some of the DO schools for this application cycle? Or will my lack of ECs/DO shadowing greatly hinder my application? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes seem very competitive to me. Although, your cumulative GPA is a little low, it is high enough that you will not be screened out and your science GPA more then makes up for it. Also you have a very stellar/rounded MCAT score.

You can still try to get a letter of recommendation from a DO and update your application, which will only strengthen your chances. I don't think it should be entirely neccesary because you have shadowed two MDs, which is the same profession. I assume you got letters of recommendation from the MDs you shadowed?

Hi Guys,

Long-time reader/lurker of SDN, first-time poster. Hoping you guys can give me some good advice!

I originally started out pre-med as an undergrad (heart wasn't in it then though, I was mainly forced by my parents). Took a total of eight science courses and bombed all of them. I really didn't do too well in college overall due to too much partying/death of my dad. I graduated with a cGPA 2.46/sGPA 1.75 (horrific, I know).

I worked in public relations for a little over a year before I decided to make the career change to medicine. I took about 80 credits worth of post-bacc classes (retook most of my undergrad science courses and took the remainder of the prereqs along with upper level science courses). My overall post-bacc GPA is a 3.94.

Thanks to the DO forgiveness policy, my overall stats are now:
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.75
MCAT: 30N (9PS, 11VR, 10BS)

My concerns are that because I mainly only took science courses during my post-bacc, my cGPA is low and my non-sci GPA is still extremely low (2.93). I am also obviously kind of late in the application cycle. Also, my extracurriculars aren't that stellar:
-1 year working at a PR firm
-100+ hours shadowing two MDs
-1 year volunteering at a health clinic (no direct patient care though)
-Less than a year working as a tutor at school

My DO application should be complete and sent out before the end of this week (transcripts have already been received by AACOMAS). Do you guys think I have a legitimate shot at some of the DO schools for this application cycle? Or will my lack of ECs/DO shadowing greatly hinder my application? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!
You are a shoo-in for DO...Good shot at MD.