3.3 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, no MCAT yet, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuberomammillarynucleus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance for helping me out!

I want to apply June 2015 cycle. I am currently a fourth year at a UC, looking to graduate this June 2014. I have applied to UC Postbacc's but have not heard anything yet. If i do not get in I am thinking about DIY-postbacc probably at UCSD or a Cal-state San Marcos. Would it look better if I do it at UCSD?

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: Sept 2014 (if ready)

I am registered to take the MCAT this September assuming my practice tests are where I wanted them to be - - mid 30s. I prefer to stay in California though do not mid leaving to another state at all.

I have a lot of leadership experience within my four year's of undergrad:

1. Two year board member for a resident halls - coordinated programs for students - (1st and 2nd)
2. Three years (2nd-4th yr)- raising money for foster youth college students
3. Two years (2nd and 3rd yr) - Assistant board - coordinated different events for students
4. One year (4th yr) - Organized a pre-health career conference

One year of High school mentoring (4th yr)

Hospital volunteering - many different rotations - 530ish hours

Shadowing family practice - 24 hours (summer after 3rd)

research: 3 months (not my thing)

Work - Family business - (1st-currently working)- became a certified manager and recently became a franchisee owner running my own store.

Attended several conferences for the business

If I do not get into a postbacc.... would you say I should do a DIY-postbacc at UCSD? or another program in Socal preferably.

Or take a year or two off and do Scribe, Free clinic and research? (no postbacc)

These were my two choices if I do not get into UC postbaccs, after finishing the MCAT (Assuming I do well). Where do you see red flags?

Do you think I need a postbacc if I increase my involvement and apply in 2015 to a bunch of schools?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without an MCAT, it's impossible to say. You'll need a strong performance (33+) to stand much of a chance, especially if you're shooting for California schools. You're at the very low end of the GPA spectrum for MD schools, and especially California ones, and your ECs aren't astounding. I'd look into linked SMPs- a DIY post-bacc won't really provide you with that much of an increase in competitiveness unless you really wrecked your prereq grades and are trying to show improvement. If your prereq grades were in the B to B+ range already, getting As on them just isn't going to bump your sGPA up much all that much, especially with AMCAS grade averaging. I'd put in some hours as an EMT or scribe, whatever you can find, just so you can get some experience that will help you come interview time and boost your clinical exposure. Your ECs are honestly not the biggest problem with your app, so you don't really need to focus on them so much as your GPA.

If you end up with a 33-37 MCAT and a 3.3-3.4 cGPA, just apply broadly and you'll stand a chance of getting in somewhere. If you can manage to get that GPA up around 3.5 via a SMP, your odds will be much higher. However, if your MCAT ends up 32 or lower, I'd just apply broadly low-mid MD (with maybe a couple DO schools as backup).